Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 AM

24,310 posts, read 13,152,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
KRIZ, 1230 AM, the best rock and roll station ever!

The TG&Y store in Papago Plaza, Scottsdale Road and McDowell. Always had a HUGE selection of toys many of which a little 7 year old () in 1962 could buy for a dime. Also at Papago Plaza, the "Blue Chip" trading stamp redemption store where I got my first camera, a simple plastic box that used 127 film and took great photos.

I remember that fateful day in 1977 when KRIZ went off the air. As they were saying their goodbyes one of their last songs was "Already Gone" by The Eagles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Default Earl's Shoppers' Fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleTim View Post
Stumbled across this yesterday and, while I haven't read every post, it sure stirs up so many memories. I grew up in Scottsdale and have seen so many of the changes mentioned in this thread.

Some things I fondly remember:

McCormick Ranch WAS a ranch. Guy McCormick had his little railroad and Dad went to a couple of Democratic fund raisers out there.

Ahhhh...the Round Up Drive-In...saw so many movies there through the years. I miss the old drive-in days! I remember them being all over the place back then. The Northern Drive-In, the Thunderbird, the Pioneer, The Silver Dollave, Cinema Park, Big Sky, Rodeo just off the top of my head.

Thomas Mall and Tower Plaza were me and my buddies hang outs. We would ride our bikes in the summer heat from Indian School/Hayden Rd. area to those malls. Remember the aviaries and the fish tanks at Thomas Mall? Great times!

My teen years we would ride our bikes to Woolco in Tempe and then ride the go carts there in the river bottom.

We climbed all of the mountains in Papago Park and even the ones in the back side of the Phoenix Zoo (anyone know of the mini "Hole In The Rock" back there?

Someone mentioned TG&Y stores and there was one at Indian School and Hayden Road in the Shopper's Fair Shopping Center. Earl's Market, Markgraf Pharmacy and the Happiness House toy store were there. Anyone remembe S&H Green Stamps? There was a redemption store there for those as well.

The Sugar Bowl ice cream parlor, Hobo Joe's Restaurant and, yes, a Sambo's all along Scottsdale Road.

Los Arcos Mall was a great place to go as well. I LOVED the Orange Julius there, they made GREAT chili cheese burgers and the Orange Juliuus drink was awesome. The original Harkins Theater was in the basement there, Dan's father was in charge back then.

I was trapped on the east side of the Indian Bend Wash when it flooded. Went to work and when I got off couldn't get back across. Had to go spend the night at my grandparent's house.

Was a bus boy at China Lil's, Ye Olde Lantern and Trader Vic's. Had some great, great times back then.

Tubing the Salt, Big Surf and the canals were cooling off spots in the summer. Amazing how we survived the heat isn't it?

Legend City....had a couple of dates there..sweet!

The Phoenix Giants and the old Phoenix Muni Stadium. Spent many summer nights there watching the baseball games. Dad used to take me and my buddies there once in a while. It was great fun and I miss my Dad very much.

Bob's Big Boy on Central Ave. with the car hops that brought your food on the tray. We used to go there once in a while on the way home from visiting my grandparents. Yum!

The Ladmo Drive-In, went there a time or two for burgers. Never saw Ladmo there though.

Saw Wallace and Ladmo show at Thomas Mall one time. They used to do stage shows at the Paramount Theater downtown and at Chris Town but we never got to go see them at those places.

Sorry for my rambling, but growing up in the 50's, 60's and 70's in the Phoenix area was the BEST. I am so glad I have lived when I have, it was really a wonderful life.

R.I.P. Scottsdale High School....Beaver's FOREVER!

Tim
There was also Bob's Barber Shop... used to go there all the time. At the end was the Tiger Wash, with the big mural of the tiger on the wall. In the late 60s or early 70s there was a fire that badly damaged the TG&Y and Markgraf's, and shut down the bakery for a time at Earl's.

When did you bus ye Olde Lantern? I was a DW there for a while in 1977 when it was New London Company.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Default Ranch House Hamburgers

Seen a lot of comments about the Ranch House in Scottsdale. There was a time around 1964 or 1965 when they were 10 for a buck. It was a sad day in 81 or 82 when they closed it down. Just saw the area Thanksgiving 2010 and unrecognizable. While the burgers weren't much to rave about, their fries... Iron Chefs need a lesson in their preparation. Crispy outside, flaky inside, not greasy... and they had those old "stools" out back that were actually palm tree trunks cut into sections. Cheap eats for a college student. There had been talk of the shack being moved somewhere for historical preservation; anyone heard if that ever happened? I left in 82 for USAF and never followed up.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Default Electra Glide in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
The bar scene after they hassle the hippies in the van was filmed at Harold's in Cave Creek. My dad is the first close-up you see in the bar, sitting, drinking and smoking with his cronies.

The film crew stayed at the Sunburst Hotel on Scottsdale south of Chapparal. It may have been something else then, my grandmother lived behind the hotel on Rancho Vista and we met some of the crew. Never paid much attention to the film until much later (and yes, the ending is one of the more sobering finishes in all cinema.)

Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 PM

283 posts, read 881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Seen a lot of comments about the Ranch House in Scottsdale. There was a time around 1964 or 1965 when they were 10 for a buck. It was a sad day in 81 or 82 when they closed it down. Just saw the area Thanksgiving 2010 and unrecognizable. While the burgers weren't much to rave about, their fries... Iron Chefs need a lesson in their preparation. Crispy outside, flaky inside, not greasy... and they had those old "stools" out back that were actually palm tree trunks cut into sections. Cheap eats for a college student. There had been talk of the shack being moved somewhere for historical preservation; anyone heard if that ever happened? I left in 82 for USAF and never followed up.
There's a Ranch House Grill at 5618 E. Thomas Rd., could it be the same???
My favorite place in Tempe for over 30 years has been the Chuckbox. Crappy and rude service, hot as hell, tables aren't level, always crowded.................and the best damn burgers, fries and onion rings you could ask for!!!! Just your typical hole-in-the-wall greasy burger joint that Phoenix is sadly lacking nowadays.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-chuckbox.jpg  

Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
There's a Ranch House Grill at 5618 E. Thomas Rd., could it be the same???
No, no connection between the two at all. I remember the little Ranch House shack too, went there in high school. I don't think the preservation actually happened, but I can't find anything about it anywhere to confirm it one way or the other.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM

537 posts, read 1,546,189 times
I used to eat at Chuck Box on University Dr. in the mid 70's while going to summer school at ASU. I lived in Manzanita that summer. I returned to Chuck Box this summer and the food was still great. There weren't many customers, and I didn't hear any Earth Wind and Fire songs.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,546,189 times
I LOVE the 5 & Diner. I go to the one on 16th. St. and Coulter. It's my favorite place to get breakfast or a huge juicy burger and onion rings 24 hours a day. I give their gift certificates to friends and they are always well received.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I used to eat at Chuck Box on University Dr. in the mid 70's while going to summer school at ASU. I lived in Manzanita that summer. I returned to Chuck Box this summer and the food was still great. There weren't many customers, and I didn't hear any Earth Wind and Fire songs.
I was right by the Chuckbox today, and thanks to this post, I think, decided it was time for lunch at the Chuckbox, for the first time in a long time. Tasty as ever.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,484 times
Default Fox Theater

I don't remember the exact address. But, I know for a fact that it was on Washington between 1st. and 2nd. STREET. Over on 1st Ave. was I believe 'The Phoenix?'
John

P.S. the last movie I saw there was SUPER FLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area