Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Ah yes back then it was called "the Madhouse on McDowell"... The former home of the NBA Phoenix Suns. When Kareem Abdul Jabar and Irvin "Magic" Johnson came to Phoenix with the LA Lakers it was hard to get tickets. Great memories of the NBA games at "the Madhouse".
Heres the original squad from 1968-69. Check out those short shorts!

Go here to something really cool.

http://www.nba.com/theater/video/van...2pt_suns30.mov
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-suns-original-squad-68-69.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biltmore Desert Rat View Post
What is the history and who lived in the mansion on the Southwest corner of 32nd Street and Camelback?

I hadn't thought about this place in years, until I saw this post the other day. It seems like once upon a time, I did know something about this house's history, and now I can't find anything. I'll keep looking.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 PM

220 posts, read 656,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Newsflash - The economy tanked in 2008.
The world is broke.

My son managed a Whataburger for about a year in 2010.
He told me they're based in Texas and going to Whataburger in TX is something like a religious experience. People take their entire families and make an evening out of it.

Heres the original McDonalds Central & Indian School May 15, 1953.

I got my first real job at McDonalds (44th Ave & Glendale-still there) in 1970.
We went here to this location for some training/field trip thingy with the owners. The boss told us he used to work here and wore a necktie -right up until the time some joker became a bit irritated about his cheeseburger or something and yanked him halfway through the front window by his tie.
He told us he switched over to clip-ons right after that. ...Memories.
Is that a Chevy parked in front of McDonalds on Central and Indian School? I drove a 53 and a 54 Chevy BelAir and I certainly spent a lot of time at that McDonalds......... I can remember getting 5 burgers for a buck and we sat outside to eat them because this was long before inside eating... and I can well remember the french fry bin was right up against the window and one time I was served a fried up grasshopper with my order. I used to know the manager's name because if we Central Ave cruisers in 54-55 parked in the back, he would come back waving him arms screaming at us to leave. Someday I will recall his name. As teens we thought he was a jerk...as an adult, I now sympathize at frustration dealing with the hordes of cars parked in that back parking lot with teens running back and forth between cars visiting. Across the street on the southeast corner was a DerWeinerschnitzel.... at some point earlier or later there was a service station on or near that corner. Had a friend who worked there that pounded out some dents in my car from being rear ended lightly when pulling into Carnation Ice Cream.... Across from McDonalds..... Joe Hunt's Steak House. South of McDonalds...Ciots Dance Hall. My Central has certainly changed from the fifties.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 PM

97 posts, read 229,479 times
Default On this date in 1964

Anyone remember the 'Pied Piper of Tucson'..? All of AZ surely knew back then. On this date in 1964.. this serial killer started his grisly career. He also visited our valley in 1965. In the mid 60s Life & Playboy sent reporters out here to do the story. Here is one link:

Charles Schmid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,614 times
Default Charles Schmid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century25 View Post
Anyone remember the 'Pied Piper of Tucson'..? All of AZ surely knew back then. On this date in 1964..]
This is from something I "borrowed" years ago concerning Schmid.
It was an article called - Shanked . by Paul L. Allen

Don't Rest in Peace scumbag.

It was 30 years ago that a small man with a large ego was "shanked" in the Arizona State Prison at Florence - stabbed with makeshift prison knives nearly two dozen times in the head and chest and left in a puddle of blood.
Two fellow inmates administered the ultimate attitude adjustment, and when Charles H. Schmid Jr. died 10 days later at a Maricopa County hospital, his days as the so-called "Pied Piper of Tucson" were at an inglorious end.
Moderator cut: copyright issues - please post link and snippet only
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-december-1965_2.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-murder-site-fritz-girls.jpg  

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: copyright infringement

Old 06-01-2011, 03:34 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
One more scarcer postcard of Greyhound on Van Buren.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-greyhound.jpg

Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Anybody know what ever happened to the Phoenix Suns dream team members including Walter Davis? I know Paul coached a couple of years as did Cotton Fitzsimmons. The years Walter was there were truly enjoyable years. Listening to play by play with Al McCoy on 620 KTAR AM when not at the games was a highlight of living in the Valley.
Oh, brrrother! Heartbreak hotel! Loved listening to Al McCoy in the late 60s and early 70s.

Paul Westphal came to the Scottsdale YMCA as part of the YBA basketball program in the late 70s, along with Gar Heard. He had street shoes so he had to wear mine (size 13) for his basketball demo. I still have those shoes!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 PM

155 posts, read 477,933 times
Quote:
Newsflash - The economy tanked in 2008.
The world is broke.

My son managed a Whataburger for about a year in 2010.
He told me they're based in Texas and going to Whataburger in TX is something like a religious experience. People take their entire families and make an evening out of it.

Heres the original McDonalds Central & Indian School May 15, 1953.

I got my first real job at McDonalds (44th Ave & Glendale-still there) in 1970.
We went here to this location for some training/field trip thingy with the owners. The boss told us he used to work here and wore a necktie -right up until the time some joker became a bit irritated about his cheeseburger or something and yanked him halfway through the front window by his tie.
He told us he switched over to clip-ons right after that. ...Memories.
My first job was at the Burger King at 69th St and McDowell in 1970 and I was in heaven. Burgers to be eaten at any opportunity for a 15 year old and I was making a huge .75 cents an hour minimum wage. I think the only other business across the street was a bar or something. 68th St and McDowell had, I believe, gas stations on every corner. Later in HS I worked at the Papago Inn and Hotel on 70th St and McDowell, which is still there. Then the many memories of working at the Jack in the Box at Princess Rd and Scottsdale Rd. in the mid 70's. ASU football was in full steam before going to the PAC 10. Game day, Scottsdale Rd was backed up to Indian School Rd. waiting to get into the game.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:30 PM

155 posts, read 477,933 times
Quote:
Heres the original squad from 1968-69. Check out those short shorts!

Go here to something really cool.

http://www.nba.com/theater/video/van...2pt_suns30.mov
Great pic of the original Suns willie. That's a lot of memories there.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 AM

30 posts, read 101,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
Is that a Chevy parked in front of McDonalds on Central and Indian School? I drove a 53 and a 54 Chevy BelAir and I certainly spent a lot of time at that McDonalds......... I can remember getting 5 burgers for a buck and we sat outside to eat them because this was long before inside eating... and I can well remember the french fry bin was right up against the window and one time I was served a fried up grasshopper with my order. I used to know the manager's name because if we Central Ave cruisers in 54-55 parked in the back, he would come back waving him arms screaming at us to leave. Someday I will recall his name. As teens we thought he was a jerk...as an adult, I now sympathize at frustration dealing with the hordes of cars parked in that back parking lot with teens running back and forth between cars visiting. Across the street on the southeast corner was a DerWeinerschnitzel.... at some point earlier or later there was a service station on or near that corner. Had a friend who worked there that pounded out some dents in my car from being rear ended lightly when pulling into Carnation Ice Cream.... Across from McDonalds..... Joe Hunt's Steak House. South of McDonalds...Ciots Dance Hall. My Central has certainly changed from the fifties.
I believe that is a Ford, either 1949 or 1950. My parents had one.
Apparently they didn’t like dealing with motorcycles either.
Back in 1961 I had an unpleasant experience at that McDonald's.
A friend & I were returning from Canyon Lake (riding double on my Allstate motor scooter*) and stopped there for a hamburger, not to hang out.
We were told that they didn't allow motorcycles and they wouldn't serve us.
Telling him it wasn't a motorcycle fell on deaf ears. We didn’t look like Bikers either.

*Attached photo is similar to what my scooter looked like, but not nearly as pristine.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-allstate-motor-scooter.jpg  

Last edited by Jim 1946; 06-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area