Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
My exhusband and I lived in a townhouse on the northwestwest side of the freeway and Bethany and we went to the Bethany Theater frequently, topped off with a late dinner at VI for pizza. And we also ate at the bbq place across the street. Seems like it was a dark green building but that was long long ago. I bought leather goods at Tandy Leather east of the theater, for a while there was a Color Tile business next to Tandy Leather. We bowled in leagues at the bowling alley at 19th Ave and Bethany as well as the bowling alley on the northeast corner of the freeway and Indian School. After bowling at Bethany we would walk across the street and have some eats at Bob's Big Boy...which later moved behind Christown in the old Elephant Bar restaurant. Now...all torn down for lite rail and the big new Target store. And wasn't the Phoenix Baptist Hospital on the northwest corner of 19th and Bethany once a chiropractic only hospital?
Phx Baptist was an osteopathic hospital at one time, I think, not a chiropractic hospital. There'd be no need for a chiropractic hospital. I suspect that there was a time when osteopaths had a hard time getting privileges at the other hospitals, so it would make sense to have a hospital for osteopaths.

The building that the Elephant Bar and then Bob's was in is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Phx Baptist was an osteopathic hospital at one time, I think, not a chiropractic hospital. There'd be no need for a chiropractic hospital. I suspect that there was a time when osteopaths had a hard time getting privileges at the other hospitals, so it would make sense to have a hospital for osteopaths.

Before the Elephant Bar was built at ChrisTown right next door to the east was the oddest tin building called the Fire House Pizza; it was a large affair that was decorated like the inside of a fire station. It did not stay open very long.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,859 times
Default Good Shepherd Home

Hi, I am doing some research on Good Shepherd ...just wondering if you could tell me more information about this program. I am specifically looking for information on conditions of the home and the treatment of the girls in the home by staff. Also, can you tell me when it closed?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
That was the Good Shepherd Girl's School directed by Sister Bernardine. For 300 years the Sister's of the Good Shepherd had been looking after delinquent girls in 400 houses all over the world. This one opened in 1930. It was the home for wayward girls, some privately, some from the courts and welfare board. I have the whole history of the place. Interesting to note that they existed on $4 per day for each girl in the late 1950's: counselors, teachers, doctors, food, clothing and maintenance of the entire complex (most of which was torn down for the shopping center.) The church was upstairs in the existing building over the beauty shop. The upstairs was never rented out probably because it would require an elevator.

Keep clicking on image for larger and larger picture.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 PM

88 posts, read 273,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It was easy to get decent chow at The Spaghetti Company across the street and a pitcher of beer at The Upstairs Pub for not a whole lot of $$$. Great for a college student.
Did The Upstairs Pub become Edsel's Attic? My band played there occasionally in the mid 80's.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 PM

24,284 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
Did The Upstairs Pub become Edsel's Attic? My band played there occasionally in the mid 80's.
Not sure, I thought it was above the Spaghetti Co. I graduated ASU in '82 and didn't get back until the 90s when the Mill Avenue revitalization was in progress.

Is Rundle's still west of Mill on University?

Last edited by SluggoF16; 05-24-2011 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM

220 posts, read 655,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

You are correct and I knew that the hospital was Osteopathic, but for the moment I couldn't think of the title. As I recall, Osteopaths were not recognized by the Medical Society. I can't recall when all that changed...

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
You are correct and I knew that the hospital was Osteopathic, but for the moment I couldn't think of the title. As I recall, Osteopaths were not recognized by the Medical Society. I can't recall when all that changed...
There were two Phoenix Osteopathic hospitals in the late 50's, one on McDowell next to McCrary's drugstore, and the other on 7th Street and Indian School.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 PM

124 posts, read 318,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmello View Post
19th ave and Northern...I remember when that reform school for pregnant girls (now it's an Albertsons) sat vacant for years. It always creeped me out when we would drive by.
I believe the reform school was called "Good Shepherd Home for Girls." That's what my mom said anyway.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 AM

283 posts, read 880,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Is Rundle's still west of Mill on University?
Regarding Rundle's, below is a screen shot from Google's Streetview. Image date from Google is March 4th 2011.

I remember when Rundle's was on the NW corner of Mill and University and Britt Smith Datsun was across University on the SW corner. The Q and Brew was just north of Rundle's on Mill.

LONG LIVE PARRY'S BEER & WINE JOINT and the CASA LOMA!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-rundles.jpg  

Last edited by desertratz; 05-25-2011 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM

283 posts, read 880,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1946 View Post
Great job Roosevelt!

Others also provided some good links.
Thanks to all.

ARIZONA Memory Project
http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/splrem

Scottsdale Public Library Digital Collections
http://scotp-cp.iii.com/iii/cpro/HomePage.html?lang=eng&suite=def[
Another link to interesting and historic photos of early Tempe.

Old Settlers Collection - Tempe, Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area