Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM

201 posts, read 544,817 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember Phoenix Giants baseball on the east side near Legend City? On occasion we would venture cross town to "Muni Stadium" and watch Phoenix play. Tickets were dirt cheap back then in the 70's Seems to me it was the Toros we saw play one time from Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM

The Arizona State Fair always had good things to see and do. It normally ran like 17 days or so from late October to mid November each year back then. We saw so many great concerts there. Journey as there one year. The Fixx, Alabama, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, Kenny Loggins, Air Supply just to name a few. We would pig out on corn dogs, carmel apples, cotton candy and fresh lemonade. Always went home completely satisfied that we got out money's worth on the carnival midway rides, took home a few stuffed animals now and then or a gold fish after getting the ping pong ball to land in one of the small glass bowls..harder than it looked... LOL

Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM

YouTube - ‪Arizona State Fair

Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Anyone remember Phoenix Giants baseball on the east side near Legend City? On occasion we would venture cross town to "Muni Stadium" and watch Phoenix play. Tickets were dirt cheap back then in the 70's Seems to me it was the Toros we saw play one time from Tucson.
Here is an overhead of Legend City with Phoenix Muni in the upper right corner.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-legend-city-1964.jpg  

Last edited by desertskies; 06-02-2011 at 09:28 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
As a kid in the 60s I remember seeing the lines to get in to the Kachina. They stretched all the way around on the south side to the east side of the building. Movies stayed there (like the Cine' Capri) for a lot longer than the two weeks at the average multiplex these days... M*A*S*H was there for a few months, it seemed.

It was a sad day when it closed in the late 80s. At least there was SOME use for the Galleria, it was used as a location for the B-movie "Tank Girl" in the mid-nineties.
I remember going to the Kachina to see 2001: Space Odyssey with a group of friends in the early/mid 70's. Everyone was going back to my place in Sunnyslope for Chili after the movie but I couldn't remember if I turned off the stove or not so the boyfriend had to drive back and check on things...can't remember now if I did or didn't but I got to see the movie anyway. We did have chili so I guess it wasn't burned. lol

Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Looking at Google Earth, I was able to find the site of Cloud 9, former restaurant on Shaw Butte.
Can anyone tell me how they managed to get their car up Shaw to enjoy the fine food at Cloud 9 or was the parking down the hill?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-cloud-9-site-shaw-butte.jpg  

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Next door, just to the west was The Village Inn Pizza Parlor. A big hangout for Alhambra High Lions.

I too hope someone out there has some pix of the Bethany. Gobs of great memories there. Saw the Exorcist there in 1973. I was 19 at the time but couldn't walk into a dark room for weeks after seeing that movie.
Scared the hell out of this Catholic!!

While we wait, heres a shot of a different kind of theater. The Celebrity in 1964. Wasn't it originally called the Travel Lodge Theater?
Wasn't it originally the Circle Star Theater?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Not sure, but their web site says it was built in 1963, no mention of another name. I always enjoyed Jerry Riopelle's New Years Eve "In The Round".
I remember Jerry's New Years Eve! Was he there with Dr. John in about 74-75? Redball Texas Flyer!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
My exhusband and I lived in a townhouse on the northwestwest side of the freeway and Bethany and we went to the Bethany Theater frequently, topped off with a late dinner at VI for pizza. And we also ate at the bbq place across the street. Seems like it was a dark green building but that was long long ago. I bought leather goods at Tandy Leather east of the theater, for a while there was a Color Tile business next to Tandy Leather. We bowled in leagues at the bowling alley at 19th Ave and Bethany as well as the bowling alley on the northeast corner of the freeway and Indian School. After bowling at Bethany we would walk across the street and have some eats at Bob's Big Boy...which later moved behind Christown in the old Elephant Bar restaurant. Now...all torn down for lite rail and the big new Target store. And wasn't the Phoenix Baptist Hospital on the northwest corner of 19th and Bethany once a chiropractic only hospital?
Or was that Phoenix General...maybe Osteopathic...I think I had my appendix out there in '65 but I can't remember where it was.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmccloskey View Post
Hi, I am doing some research on Good Shepherd ...just wondering if you could tell me more information about this program. I am specifically looking for information on conditions of the home and the treatment of the girls in the home by staff. Also, can you tell me when it closed?

Thanks.
Ok m'dear...what would you like to know? I was there for awhile in '67-'68.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area