Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I'd guess probably 1958. Looks like a 58 Caddy there at the stop light. My mom had one in about 65, that car was a tank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM

283 posts, read 880,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Neat view of Sky Harbor, even has the taco bell wedding chapel. This is called the northern terminal? before terminal 1 was built. The spelling is on the post card.

Attachment 85480
Interesting article about the Sky Harbor "Taco Bell" wedding chapel and what happened to it and especially the bell.

Aerial Elopers - Phoenix Magazine

Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
interesting article about the sky harbor "taco bell" wedding chapel and what happened to it and especially the bell.

aerial elopers - phoenix magazine
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Harbor marriage chapel 1937_wm.jpg
Views:	2103
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	85538

Name:	Sky Harbor bell_wm.jpg
Views:	1879
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	85539

Old 10-02-2011, 05:29 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
I wonder if anyone knows what that paper was which someone would raise with the help of a pole, or grabber from the ground to the pilot just before he taxied to the runway? He would open the window of the cockpit and take it, and close the window.

I remember one time we saw a DC3 make four or five takeoff runs. It aborted each run, taxied all the way back to the foot of the runway for the next. Finally took off into the east on 8. I do not recall that it was a passenger DC3.
I just got back from an air show this afternoon at Sheppard AFB, TX, and there was a vintage DC-3 there. I asked the pilot if he knew. He's a retired Delta captain and he said it was probably a passenger manifest and route update, since that's what they still do today, but he really wasn't sure... sorry, not sure if that helps.

Where was the tetrahedron? I don't remember if there was one when I flew off the north runway (1977 to 1981 time frame).

Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 AM

111 posts, read 338,959 times
The tetrahedron was somewhere south of the runway, I think. Of course, that takes a lot of area into account. I am sorry I can't more specifically recall. I believe that way back then, tetrahedrons could point to the runway in use, to the direction into which the wind blew, or to the direction from which the wind blew, depending on the field. I may very well be wrong.

In the matter of the simian at The Flame....Does anyone know the reason the being's employment was terminated? I believe I do.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
1961 Kerr Sporting Goods' class A American Legion team that captured the national championship. 7 players were from North High.

Name:	Kerr 1961.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	85594

Old 10-09-2011, 02:16 PM

221 posts, read 598,082 times
Hi, new member here.

I vaguely remember going to the Willy and Guillermo's at Central and Missouri probably in about 1977 or 1978. I can't find any pictures of the place online. I remember it being kind-of stately and surrounded by trees. I think the parking lot was either gravel or partially-paved. I was quite young at the time and don't remember much about it aside from thinking it was pretty cool

Does anyone happen to have any photo or brochure scans to share?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
Hi, new member here.

I vaguely remember going to the Willy and Guillermo's at Central and Missouri probably in about 1977 or 1978. I can't find any pictures of the place online. I remember it being kind-of stately and surrounded by trees. I think the parking lot was either gravel or partially-paved. I was quite young at the time and don't remember much about it aside from thinking it was pretty cool

Does anyone happen to have any photo or brochure scans to share?

Thanks!
I remember W & G's...I'd already moved to CA and came back for a visit. I got together with a friend and we went there in about '78 or '79 I think. I don't even remember where it was located...any help on that one?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM

221 posts, read 598,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I remember W & G's...I'd already moved to CA and came back for a visit. I got together with a friend and we went there in about '78 or '79 I think. I don't even remember where it was located...any help on that one?
I believe the location I had in mind was Central and Missouri, probably on the Southwest corner. There are condos there now.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM

26 posts, read 65,166 times
I'm still stuck on the Totum Pole convenience stores. Those places with those totem poles out from were a hoot.
Then there was that - antlers bar? What was the name of that very small,dive bar that used to be at Hardy and Baseline in Tempe? The mowed it down to put a 76 gas station with car wash in it, that eventually went under. Then another place took it over which also went under. Then it was taken over by even different ownership/lease and it went under, as well. Now? It sits there, gas pumps, car was and huge convenience, store - completely empty. That bar that was there was known for all the fist fights and constant police presence, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area