Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM

53 posts, read 152,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The woman in the Carpetime TV commercials is the guy's daughter. He had black hair and she was a little girl when they first started advertising on TV.
Attachment 97560
In the rear of the Carpet Time building was an auditorium that was used for the Junior Assembly program in the early 60's where young ladies and gentlemen were forced to give up a perfectly good Saturday afternoon, put on a coat and tie (or a dress with white gloves), and learn the fine art and etiquette of ball room dancing.

The fox trot, cha cha, waltz, etc. I enjoyed the experience soooo much that I made my children attend when they came of age. A rite of passage of sorts.

dgsaz
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 PM

567 posts, read 787,172 times
I first lived out here for a few months at the end of '62 to May of '63 before becoming a permanent resident. I lived at 6th Avenue and Osborn. I remember "driving out of town" to see the new JCC being built on 19th Ave. and Maryland! Nothing but empty land.
Also, at that time, Scottsdale Rd. had brick streets and a lot of it was empty, as well.
An older friend of mine told me he'd landed planes where Camelback Rd. is now when he was a kid.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:47 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
I first lived out here for a few months at the end of '62 to May of '63 before becoming a permanent resident. I lived at 6th Avenue and Osborn. I remember "driving out of town" to see the new JCC being built on 19th Ave. and Maryland! Nothing but empty land.
Also, at that time, Scottsdale Rd. had brick streets and a lot of it was empty, as well.
An older friend of mine told me he'd landed planes where Camelback Rd. is now when he was a kid.
There was a dirt airstrip north of Camelback Rd. near 68th Street. My girlfriend lived behind where Fashion Park went in. Small houses, great location although at the time way out there.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Here is your kit to join the Phoenix Playboy Club. Bargain price. Might be outdated though.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-playboy-kit.jpg

Old 06-26-2012, 04:54 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There was a dirt airstrip north of Camelback Rd. near 68th Street. My girlfriend lived behind where Fashion Park went in. Small houses, great location although at the time way out there.
It wasn't at the Casa Blanca, was it? They had a strip, history at this site. My father was working at the largely-empty Casa Blanca in 1980... they had a kumquat tree they were taking down, and I went to take him lunch that day, remembered well not only because I'd never seen or eaten a kumquat before, but also because it was the day the US beat the Soviets in hockey at the Winter Olympics.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM

107 posts, read 422,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia Camelback View Post
Does anyone remember the old North Bank restaurant northwest of 40th Street and Camelback Road? They had the best salad bar in town! (The salad bar at the Cork 'N Cleaver at 44th and Camelback was also quite good, but they've been closed now for many months after a kitchen fire.) I used to go to North Bank all the time with my parents, back when I was a kid. It was sort of a dimly lit restaurant, but the ambience was very nice. I remember they had a flamboyant waiter there named Cruz (Cruise?) who, aside from being an excellent waiter, also moonlighted as a movie reviewer at your table!

I guess there's a place called Chelsea's Kitchen in its place now?
Sure, the North Bank name definitely rings a bell; hadn't thought of it in ages. Crazy thing is I can't remember if I ever ate there or not. Must have driven by it plenty of times. I think you're right about the Chelsea's Kitchen location.
The interior ambience you recall seemed to have been popular in the late 70s or early 80s; I'm thinking of dark wood, dim lights, potted ferns hanging in macrame holders, that kind of thing.

I'm drawing a blank on names of other Valley restaurants of that genre back then.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Sure, the North Bank name definitely rings a bell; hadn't thought of it in ages. Crazy thing is I can't remember if I ever ate there or not. Must have driven by it plenty of times. I think you're right about the Chelsea's Kitchen location.
The interior ambience you recall seemed to have been popular in the late 70s or early 80s; I'm thinking of dark wood, dim lights, potted ferns hanging in macrame holders, that kind of thing.

I'm drawing a blank on names of other Valley restaurants of that genre back then.
Maybe "The Other Place" or "The Bull Pen".

Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 PM

220 posts, read 655,632 times
I am remembering "Cudia City" at the 40th Street and Camelback locale...over the canal, on the left...there it sat.... old movie facades, lots of history in that spot now gone gone gone.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:

anybody remember The Monk's Garden at 44th St and Camelback?....very popular back then....don't remember if it qualified as a "fern bar", but it may've had a few macrame holders around....

Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM

53 posts, read 152,966 times
Quote:

How about the Hitching Post at 40th and Camelback. When Camelback was widened the piece of land would no longer support the bar and restaurant. I believe that's when Russ Lyon started advertising on the bill board that was erected on the same spot. Lyon has been out of the business for a while and I don't know who is on the billboard now.

Other restaurants of the era and ilk were, The Salt Cellar in south Scottsdale, Cork and Cleaver on 12st and in Scottsdale, the Tempe North Bank and Victoria Station.

For the low life's in the crowd, how about Patty's Inn at 42nd Street and Washington or Hamm's on 24th Street and the Gopher Club. Who could forget Parry's, The Hut, and the Casa Loma bar in Tempe.

In the early years of the North Bank 10k (later to become the Phoenix 10K) the course ran east on the north bank of the canal to the restaurant / finish.

dgsaz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area