Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM

107 posts, read 422,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Max View Post
My Grandfather built this house with what he had leftover from his home building company. This was taken in 1948, there isn't much around it.

5620 N. Kay Drive, hard to believe that's now in the middle of town.

Here is the same house in 2011. My Grandmother sold it back in the early eighties.

For a little more fun.

A couple of pics my mother took while riding her horse down Central(1948).
Right ahead, Central and Bethany home Rd.
Great pix from Dolly's back. Really captures the aura of "old-time" Phoenix, being able to ride your horse up Central Ave.

In my freshman year at Arcadia, our English teacher showed us an article published in some national magazine soon after the school opened (late 1950s I guess).

The author really played up the "Western lifestyle" angle to a corny degree, writing that in a classroom one day, the intercom speaker announced "Susie Sidesaddle, please go home. Your horse has strayed."

Our teacher said she remembered that actual incident; a girl in the class had a horse that got loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 53,782 times
Here is a couple of articles about my Grandfather. I hope you can read them.

Here is one of his subdivisions, Cox Heights.

I keep meaning to drive by this subdivision.

Here is one more image.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Point West. Except I would like to commute in a helicopter. The smaller pic I don't know anything about, expect my Grandmother is in it.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Commander Max--

Where was (is) Cox Heights in Scottsdale?

And I remember that picture of Dolly that was in the ad.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 PM

107 posts, read 422,811 times
Quote:

Here is one more image.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Point West. Except I would like to commute in a helicopter. The smaller pic I don't know anything about, expect my Grandmother is in it.
Those are great photos.

Looks like Cox Heights is NE corner of Hayden & McDowell. Perfect neighborhood for Motorola workers.
The "artificial lake" among the model homes is now a short cul de sac--Cypress St.

I love the sailboat; it's a Lido 14. Our family had one in the 60s, sail #1818.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM

24,291 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Great pics... used to drive by almost every day from Scottsdale to ASU, never knew the history of that area. A couple years ago a whole block in the subdivision was lighted up for Christmas in a big way, VERY visible from Hayden.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM

111 posts, read 338,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
[mod cut]

Heres another image of a Phx PD Lark.
Can anyone ID these two dudes?

Lyndon Johnson and the Mayor of Phoenix?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 PM

220 posts, read 655,902 times
Ah, I delighted in these photographs and especially the article. As I have explained, when I worked in the mortgage loan department at First National Bank on North Central, I typed documents for Forrest and Phoebe to sign in their construction loans. I really liked Mr. and Mrs. Cox ... that was in 1959.

Quote:

Here is one more image.

Last edited by 1937Gal; 06-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: correct "like" to "liked"

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM

218 posts, read 570,145 times
Again, Great Pictures! After the tragic accident what happened to Cox Homes?

I used to collect old nodder figures. They seemed to be called bobble heads these days. I had one from Staggs Homes. The head was in the shape of a house. It was a neat advertisement for Staggsbilt Homes.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM

20 posts, read 64,266 times
[quote=Commander Max;24600028]Here is a couple of articles about my Grandfather. I hope you can read them.

/quote]

I was at Cox Meadows (North of Cactus a bit on the East side of I-17) one weekend in the early 60's when Forrest Cox was giving free helicopter rides to people who had bought homes. There was a landing pad out in front of the subdivision.

It was shortly after this when the helicopter accident happenned.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM

20 posts, read 64,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
Again, Great Pictures! After the tragic accident what happened to Cox Homes?

I used to collect old nodder figures. They seemed to be called bobble heads these days. I had one from Staggs Homes. The head was in the shape of a house. It was a neat advertisement for Staggsbilt Homes.
My parents bought a home in WESTOWN (NW corner area - I-17 & Cactus Rd.) in 1960. Four bedroom, 2 bath, double carport for $12,600. I had one of those Staggsbuilt "Happy Homer" bobbleheads too. You brought back some fond memories of that area. The nearest grocery store back then was 4 miles SOUTH at 27 Ave & Northern.

Cactus Rd was called "Q Avenue" back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area