Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,780 times

Advertisements

Here's the web page. It's 10 pm and I got ravenously hungry viewing the web site.

T-Bone Steakhouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 AM

427 posts, read 1,187,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrazee View Post
Did you live in Starlight Park. I remember that Treadaway stuff and everybody getting out and loading their rifles. I was born in Phx in 62.
I remember that...I was living in Sunnyslope at the time and later moved out to the Starlight Park area after J. Treadway was convicted. I remember thinking how much Phoenix had changed. Two police officers were killed just before that I think and I realized it wasn't the Phoenix of my childhood.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Speaking of the past, does anyone remember Burger Chef? I seem to remember cheeseburgers for 19(?) cents. It was one of the first fast food joints I remember in Phoenix. What are your first fast food memories?
I remember Burger Chef in So. Phx. During my freshman year in high school, '67 , I believe you could get a burger, fries and a coke for $0.30 or $0.35. Can you imagine, a full meal for that. I think I may have misbehaved there and was asked to leave for awhile...well 14...what can I say other than I'm sorry.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
"KOMA, the 50,000 watt Mother from Oklahoma City!"

Jeez, I'd forgotten about that one. You could only get it at night when all the other AM stations had to switch to lower power at sundown. Yeah, we could get KRUX and KRIZ , but those were our domestic stations. KOMA, however, was an exciting foreign import that could only be heard clearly when the atmospheric conditions were right. My dad would yell at my brother and I to shut off the radio and go to sleep on school nights.

Thanks for that one desertskies!
I remember picking up KOMA Oklahoma City at night...seemed like you got it better in north Phoenix than in south Phoenix.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Does anyone remember Minder Binders in it's early days when it was a big old red barn looking building surrounded by a huge dirt lot and little else on the corner of McClintock and University? Do you remember their "Annual Going Out Of Business" sales when everything in the house was a quarter? The insane decor from the lifeboat in the rafters, the bras hanging on deer antlers and the diorama of the goat driving the locomotive through the building. Jeez I wish I'd taken pictures of the inside of that place! Now it's gone!

Below is a memento that I fondly cherish as part of my mis-spent youth.
Attachment 59329

Attachment 59330

Attachment 59332
You betcha! Many nights out there with friends enjoying loud music and ice cold wine coolers in big mugs. I was always the one who had to make the drink run up a floor for the others. Fun times!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy butler View Post
I used to work at the Kinney's shoe store on Bethany & approx 24 Ave went to the Bethany theatre a lot...there was also a Marie Callandars in an A frame building on the south side of Bethany when that restaurant was just starting here. Loved Big Hunks too..
I remember buying shoes at that Kinney's as a kid and watching movies at the Bethany.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
did you remember Margarette Eaton (that was my grandmother who taught there)? i know that she taught home economics possably other things. i believe that she taught there up until the mid 70's
Would that have been Miss Margarette? Was she an administrator in the late 60's? I definitely remember Miss Margarette.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Does anyone out there remember the old head-shop: The Inner Sanctum?
It was on Central. Who remembers exactly where it was?

Back in the early 70's me and my buddy used to ride our 10 speeds out there all the way from 43rd & Bethany just to look at all the exotic stuff.(couldn't afford to buy anything but incense and the occasional black-light poster)

Cant figure out why it is I cant remember where the old head-shop was.Hmm.

And speaking of old hippies here's a couple of Phoenix classics from KCAC.
Toad Hall & William Edward Compton. I was looking through my collection of these images and noticed that WEC never smiled in any of his photographs. (except one-barely). Anyone out there know him personally?
Did the Inner Sanctum later become Michael's Apple Pie? I remember both and thinking they were somewhere around Central and Thomas/Osborne/Indian Sch. Rd. That was the 70's so I'm not really sure. I frequented both establishments and lol that's all I'm saying.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by willard e. kissinger jr.
When I was a boy, South Phoenix was a separate city with its own mayor, council, and manager--up until the mid-fifties.

Can you please provide something to substantiate this? It just doesn't sound right. South Mountain Park was a Phoenix City Park dating back to the 1920s.

I ran across this photo which should settle this:

Attachment 56932
From what I understand south of Dobbins Rd. was not incorporated in '61 when my parents moved out there. I believe it happened shortly thereafter.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen56 View Post
I was born in Phx,lived around 27th ave off van buren,where memory lawn cemetary still is.Does anyone remember Russ Keetons on van buren and we would go downtown every sat to Woolworth and get a slice of pizza for a quarter. My mother work at JJ Newberrys,back in the 60s,I remember El Rancho store on 35th ave and Thrifty was in the same plaza.
I remember pizza at Woolworth's for $0.25...my friend and I would go there when we went to the movies in the early '60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area