Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 PM

155 posts, read 477,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Don't forget their jingle, which ended:

"You tell 'em, UtoteM"
Anyone remember the slogan for 7-eleven convenience store commercials on radio and TV in the early 70's even..."7-Eleven.. We've got shotgun shells! So hillarious to think of now. We would buy shells there for $1.75 a box for dove season and go down to behind where the Stockyards Restaraunt is now (There actually was a stockyards there then) and sit on the canal bank and shoot the doves, which the feedlot loved because the dove ate the feed. I remember that so well, being a 16 year old on a hot August late afternoon. Remembers watching the clouds build up to the south for a thunderstorm/duststorm coming and not a worry in the world more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Hey, Learical.....Weirdly enough, like you, I also went to Bourgade my freshman year (and, since we have the same birth year, we were probably in the same class...which couldn't have been more than about a hundred-fifty people, tops.....Did you ever go to Skaggs Music store in Maryvale? In the same shopping center that had Long Hair Incorporated? Message me, if you care to.....it would be interesting to discover who you — well, we — are......

Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
I came to this forum for info about the RoundUp drive-in out on Thomas Road, at the border of Scottsdale and Phoenix, across from Big Jim's Oasis, that amazing trailer park that may still be there for all I know. Does anyone remember the Neon Cowboy Liberation Front, who stole the RoundUp cowboy's head when it was dismantled?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurboule View Post
I came to this forum for info about the RoundUp drive-in out on Thomas Road, at the border of Scottsdale and Phoenix, across from Big Jim's Oasis, that amazing trailer park that may still be there for all I know. Does anyone remember the Neon Cowboy Liberation Front, who stole the RoundUp cowboy's head when it was dismantled?
There are several images of the Round Up on Flickr, you have to search under Roundup and Round Up Drive In. All are copyrighted. One guy in Scottsdale made several posters of the place in full color also on Flickr.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:56 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
There was also a UtoteM at 83rd ave and Indian Sch. Rd. back around early 70's. At the time that was wayyyy out there! I think there was also a Pop Shoppe out there too.

I just noticed "Pop Shoppe" soda in my grocery store recently. I had no idea they were still around. I remember when they came out and you went down and bought pop by the case with returnable bottles or something like that. It was supposed to be cheaper or something. I seem to remember it was terrible pop.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I just noticed "Pop Shoppe" soda in my grocery store recently. I had no idea they were still around. I remember when they came out and you went down and bought pop by the case with returnable bottles or something like that. It was supposed to be cheaper or something. I seem to remember it was terrible pop.
Pop Shoppe was around in the early 70's. They had home delivery service, I remember their truck going down my street, red and white stripes, and thinking who on earth drinks that much soda? Captain Cola was their mascot? They had some really weird flavors.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 PM

88 posts, read 273,176 times
Quote:
Hey, Learical.....Weirdly enough, like you, I also went to Bourgade my freshman year (and, since we have the same birth year, we were probably in the same class...which couldn't have been more than about a hundred-fifty people, tops.....Did you ever go to Skaggs Music store in Maryvale? In the same shopping center that had Long Hair Incorporated? Message me, if you care to.....it would be interesting to discover who you — well, we — are......
There was a Long Hair at Maryvale Shopping City, but I don't recall Skaggs Music. I usually went to Arizona Music Center on Glendale Ave. I had a recording studio, Primo Productions, from 1987-1989 near Indian School RD and 31st Ave.
I attended Bourgade 1969-1970, switched to (and finished at) Maryvale High, class of '73.

Last edited by learicalAZ; 10-14-2011 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Pop Shoppe was from 1969 to 1983 and had 30 flavors. They re-established in 2004 but through normal retail outlets instead of their own stores. I think Bubble Gum was one of their old flavors.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM

283 posts, read 880,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
They had some really weird flavors.
Can't be any weirder than Jones Soda's Turkey and Gravy soda I see in Fry's!

Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 AM

155 posts, read 477,933 times
Quote:

I went to grade school and HS with the kids whose father ran that theater. They lived in a house behind the screen. Their last name was Rupert. That trailer park is still there and is still named The Oasis. I used to deliver the Az. Republic to that park and all thru the area of High View west of the Crosscut Canal. That was before Paddock Pools was even there next to the Roundup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area