Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 04:44 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,278 times

Advertisements

1st & Adams...What a difference 60 years makes!

OK -Heres one for you. This house seems to listed with 2 different address and 2 different names.

Care to help clarify?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-pugh-elliott-house-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
They have two different addresses, too. I assume they are not the same house; they don't look alike. They may have been built/designed by the same person.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM

59 posts, read 194,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They have two different addresses, too. I assume they are not the same house; they don't look alike. They may have been built/designed by the same person.
They don't look alike ??????. The only major difference between the two is one has a porch and one does not. If they are two different houses at two different addresses on 2nd ave.,then they were built from the same exact design. The windows are in the same locations,the roof gables and pitch is the same , even the gingerbread under the roof are the same.
My guess is that since the house numbers are so close , 356 & 362, it's most likely a typo , either that or two identical houses were built on the 300 block of 2nd ave.

Last edited by AzSon; 09-28-2010 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: rewording of last sentence

Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSon View Post
They don't look alike ??????. The only major difference between the two is one has a porch and one does not. If they are two different houses at two different addresses on 2nd ave.,then they were built from the same exact design. The windows are in the same locations,the roof gables and pitch is the same , even the gingerbread under the roof are the same.
My guess is that since the house numbers are so close , 356 & 362, it's most likely a typo , either that or two identical houses were built on the 300 block of 2nd ave.
They do look very similar, by saying "they don't look alike" I was stating that they aren't, in fact, identical, (porch vs. no porch) and referring to the idea in the initial post about them that they were the exact same house (same location). The addresses indicated to me that they aren't the same house. I assume they were built by the same person (perhaps someone named Pugh) that would make sense.

Why shouldn't two houses that look almost the same (porch or no porch) have been built in the same block? Builders have been doing that for decades. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done back then, too.

EDIT: They are pictures of the same house, evidently, the "Charles Pugh House".

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...es-pugh-house/ (362 address)

http://www.phoenixmag.com/lifestyle/...-architecture/ (go all the way to the end, it gives the 356 address)

Last edited by observer53; 09-29-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 AM

59 posts, read 194,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They do look very similar, by saying "they don't look alike" I was stating that they aren't, in fact, identical, (porch vs. no porch) and referring to the idea in the initial post about them that they were the exact same house (same location). The addresses indicated to me that they aren't the same house. I assume they were built by the same person (perhaps someone named Pugh) that would make sense.

Why shouldn't two houses that look almost the same (porch or no porch) have been built in the same block? Builders have been doing that for decades. I wouldn't be surprised if it was done back then, too.

EDIT: They are pictures of the same house, evidently, the "Charles Pugh House".

From the Arizona Room | 362 N. 2nd Ave. (362 address)

Endangered Architecture - Phoenix Magazine (go all the way to the end, it gives the 356 address)
Thank You for the links , oddly enough the photo on the Phoenix Magazine article section about endangered architecture labeled "the Pugh house circa 1905" is not the Pugh house , LOL.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:49 PM

285 posts, read 904,715 times
Somebody mentioned JD's.
I never set foot into it (too young then), but remember the marque one night advertising an up and coming comedian by the name of George Carlin. As I understand, after it closed for good, it was a waterbed outlet and today I have no idea what it is.

And A Hard Days Night.
Apparently the Arizona premier was in Tucson.

Anyone attend the showing?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 PM

155 posts, read 477,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Hayden Plaza has seen quite a few changes over the years. The Progressive insurance office on the southwest corner used to be the old Woolco store. It sat empty after Woolco closed and then it was remodeled into the Hughes Helicopter offices after they landed the Army contract to build the Apache attack helicopter. Hughes was sold to McDonnel Douglas (now Boeing) and they moved offices to their plant by Mesa's Falcon Field airport. I believe there was also a Lucky's store in that plaza at one time.

The old wing of the strip mall just north of Woolco held a nice billiards/pool parlor that I believe was called the Golden Cue. Next to that, in the same wing, was the Fifth Estate teen nightclub in the 60's. We used to frequent it alot and it was a pretty neat place for us teenagers. They had projectors all over the place running old black and white movies which where shown on the walls and they had a pretty good house band called the Mile Ends. Of course they had the obligatory pulsing strobe lights everywhere hammering with the beat.

They used to get name acts every so often also. I had to take my girlfriend there to see the Association play, but I regret not going to see the relatively unknown band from LA that played there for 2 days in 1966. Just some little group that didn't have a hit record yet called the Doors. Corey Wells Blues Band was also an awesome group to see before he went on to big stardom in 70's as one of Three Dog Night.

Just about a good stone's throw south of Hayden Plaza and on the opposite side of Scottsdale Road was JD's in the river bottom. We went there also to see Mike Condello play in the downstairs part of the club. Being strictly into rock and roll at the time, I didn't pay too much attention to the guy playing "cowboy music" upstairs. It's a shame because I missed a golden opportunity to catch an early Waylon Jennings.

Don't know if you recall, but Curry Road that runs on the south side of Hayden Plaza was originally called Princess Drive and ran from Hayden Road to approximately 68th Street behind the plaza where it basically dead ended. Curry Road originally ran along the north side of the plaza and aligned with Weber Drive on the east side of Scottsdale Road.
Wow, desertratz! I'm so appreciative of that dissertation on Hayden Plaza East history. Thanks for that. When I worked at the Jack in the Box on Scottsdale and Weber on ASU football game nights in 1970/71, cars would be backed up to Indian School Rd on Scottsdale rd. to get to the game. This was when Frank Kush was still coach and ASU was in the WAC not PAC10.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Somebody mentioned JD's.
I never set foot into it (too young then), but remember the marque one night advertising an up and coming comedian by the name of George Carlin. As I understand, after it closed for good, it was a waterbed outlet and today I have no idea what it is.

And A Hard Days Night.
Apparently the Arizona premier was in Tucson.

Anyone attend the showing?
Funny part of this part of Tempe (where JD's was) was that it wasn't a part of Tempe but was county land (flood plain?) so it was no mans land and there were all sorts of "massage parlors" along the south side of Curry Rd. between Scottsdale Rd and Hayden Rd. I delivered pizzas for Gino's Pizza regularly to these palce but the girls were always sweet.

Last edited by Donalumni; 09-29-2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Hayden Plaza has seen quite a few changes over the years. The Progressive insurance office on the southwest corner used to be the old Woolco store. It sat empty after Woolco closed and then it was remodeled into the Hughes Helicopter offices after they landed the Army contract to build the Apache attack helicopter. Hughes was sold to McDonnel Douglas (now Boeing) and they moved offices to their plant by Mesa's Falcon Field airport. I believe there was also a Lucky's store in that plaza at one time.

The old wing of the strip mall just north of Woolco held a nice billiards/pool parlor that I believe was called the Golden Cue. Next to that, in the same wing, was the Fifth Estate teen nightclub in the 60's. We used to frequent it alot and it was a pretty neat place for us teenagers. They had projectors all over the place running old black and white movies which where shown on the walls and they had a pretty good house band called the Mile Ends. Of course they had the obligatory pulsing strobe lights everywhere hammering with the beat.

They used to get name acts every so often also. I had to take my girlfriend there to see the Association play, but I regret not going to see the relatively unknown band from LA that played there for 2 days in 1966. Just some little group that didn't have a hit record yet called the Doors. Corey Wells Blues Band was also an awesome group to see before he went on to big stardom in 70's as one of Three Dog Night.

Just about a good stone's throw south of Hayden Plaza and on the opposite side of Scottsdale Road was JD's in the river bottom. We went there also to see Mike Condello play in the downstairs part of the club. Being strictly into rock and roll at the time, I didn't pay too much attention to the guy playing "cowboy music" upstairs. It's a shame because I missed a golden opportunity to catch an early Waylon Jennings.

Don't know if you recall, but Curry Road that runs on the south side of Hayden Plaza was originally called Princess Drive and ran from Hayden Road to approximately 68th Street behind the plaza where it basically dead ended. Curry Road originally ran along the north side of the plaza and aligned with Weber Drive on the east side of Scottsdale Road.
My first wife babysat Waylon Jennings kid when Jennings lived in the apartment complex just north of McDowell on the east side of 70th St. My ex was a young teen so that would have been 1966.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,370 times
Was J.D.'s also called the River Bottom room? What is there now? Is it still county land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area