Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,164,164 times

Advertisements

In 4 hours, I can easily drive from Phx to San Diego for a nice weekend. Sea World, Legoland, Disney Land, etc. (can you tell we have young boys?).

4 hours drive from Denver and I'm in Scottsbluff Nebraska.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Well the grass is always greener on the other side, except in Phx it's xeriscape.
LOL!!!

Vegaspilgrim and Zonababe hit the nail(s) on the head. It's just going to boil down to your personal preference. I've lived in both areas. While I probably prefer Denver, the city (not quite as large as Phoenix with more historicity, a cool downtown, and public transportation), I really love the state of Arizona. It's just such a diverse state, with all sorts of various micro-climates and scenery.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
In 4 hours, I can easily drive from Phx to San Diego for a nice weekend. Sea World, Legoland, Disney Land, etc. (can you tell we have young boys?).
Four hours my ***. The speed limit on I-8 is 75 mph in AZ and 70mph in CA (which is enforced by aircraft, btw). That's at least a 6 hour drive, not taking a single stop. Unless if you're breaking the law or you live in Gila Bend.

Quote:
4 hours drive from Denver and I'm in Scottsbluff Nebraska.
Head in the other direction, smart one, and you're in a mountain wonderland. And it doesn't even take 4 hours to get to some PREMO scenery, world class skiing, hiking, fishing, rock climbing, white water rafting, you name it. Just an hour west of Denver and you're in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world with snowcapped peaks, pine forests, streams, alpine meadows and rugged cliffs.

Moving to Phoenix because it's only 6 hours from San Diego is about as smart as moving to Pittsburgh because it's only 6 hours from Washington DC. If San Diego is your true love (and BTW, I LOVE San Diego, and I'm thinking about moving there!), then move to San Diego. If you cannot afford to live in SD, that's a shame, but pretending that PHX=SD isn't going to change the facts. It only further reinforces my point that many (not all, but many) Phoenicians are nothing more than California wanna-bes.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM

172 posts, read 252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
It only further reinforces my point that many (not all, but many) Phoenicians are nothing more than California wanna-bes.
That's funny, considering a sizeable portion of Phoenix is from California.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
hts

nobody was suggesting that phx = sd smart aleck. i said it's close and it is. denver is close to pretty much nothing by car.

yes, san diego is my one true love and i cannot afford it. phx is as close as i can get, and i have made the trip from anthem to sd in under 5 hours (but would never admit the same in a court of law). schools in sd cty are pretty poor, taxes high, liberals abundant, wildfires, superficiality, etc., etc.

all that being said, if i win the lottery any time soon, it's la jolla here i come!

flagstaff is only 90 mins north of anthem and it's got plenty fine skiing for us.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:11 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
nobody was suggesting that phx = sd smart aleck. i said it's close and it is. denver is close to pretty much nothing by car.
. . .
flagstaff is only 90 mins north of anthem and it's got plenty fine skiing for us.
Hmm, well let's see - 4 hrs from Denver is Vail, Aspen, Winterpark, Leadville, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, gorgeous mountain scenery with ski resorts in the winter and waterfalls in the spring and hiking in the summer and changing aspens in the fall. . . . And Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Have you been there? It's pretty with alot of pioneer history there.

You can also be beautiful places in AZ within 4 hours of Phoenix, but you can also be out in the middle of the desert between Quartzite and Palm Springs.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:54 PM

225 posts, read 962,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Four hours my ***. The speed limit on I-8 is 75 mph in AZ and 70mph in CA (which is enforced by aircraft, btw). That's at least a 6 hour drive, not taking a single stop. Unless if you're breaking the law or you live in Gila Bend.
I've made it to San Diego in slightly over 4 hours. Technically it's enforced by aircraft but practically it isn't and the highway patrol allow people to easily drive 90 mph. They wait for those drivers that go over 100 mph because it makes no sense for them to pull over people for 90 when it's a common occurence for someone to go well over 100 mph in that area. I know this for a fact because we have friends that work for the highway patrol. I don't know how often you've been to San Diego but people who regularly traveled there mock the air enforcement signs.

Quote:
Head in the other direction, smart one, and you're in a mountain wonderland. And it doesn't even take 4 hours to get to some PREMO scenery, world class skiing, hiking, fishing, rock climbing, white water rafting, you name it. Just an hour west of Denver and you're in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world with snowcapped peaks, pine forests, streams, alpine meadows and rugged cliffs.
But that's all they have. You can't venture to a beach let alone any metropolis that offers urban exploits that a city like San Diego, Los Angelas and Las Vegas offer. You are limited to ski resorts. I agree those are some of the nicest ski resorts in the world but I would get tired of that.

Quote:
Moving to Phoenix because it's only 6 hours from San Diego is about as smart as moving to Pittsburgh because it's only 6 hours from Washington DC. If San Diego is your true love (and BTW, I LOVE San Diego, and I'm thinking about moving there!), then move to San Diego. If you cannot afford to live in SD, that's a shame, but pretending that PHX=SD isn't going to change the facts. It only further reinforces my point that many (not all, but many) Phoenicians are nothing more than California wanna-bes.
I fail to see how it doesn't make sense. The cost of living in southern california is outrageous even for people earning well over 100,000. Aside from the ocean, Phoenix resembles Southern California and has many of the same architecture, people, customs and ammenities. If I can afford a much larger home and not deal with some of the problems of Southern California then I would certainly move to Phoenix. Likewise, I'm sure you really love mountains and outdoor activities but those of us who enjoy more of an urban west coast scene would get sick of that really quickly

Old 02-04-2008, 02:24 PM
hts

The Colorado moutains are truly beautiful. That being said, we don't ski (yet), so they're a bit of a waste on us. I did hope to get our boys skiing lessons this winter, but in the end, we picked up advanced swimming, piano, and ice skating (in addition to their normal year-round activities). Maybe we'll get them on skis next winter. I had forgotten about Vegas (we only drove there from Anthem twice when we lived out there), but that's also a nice short 4 hour hop-skip as well, if I recall correctly).

Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I've made it to San Diego in slightly over 4 hours. Technically it's enforced by aircraft but practically it isn't and the highway patrol allow people to easily drive 90 mph. They wait for those drivers that go over 100 mph because it makes no sense for them to pull over people for 90 when it's a common occurence for someone to go well over 100 mph in that area. I know this for a fact because we have friends that work for the highway patrol. I don't know how often you've been to San Diego but people who regularly traveled there mock the air enforcement signs.
This is good to know! I've always wondered if these signs are for real (never saw any aircraft) or more of scarecrows... It's really ridiculous being forced to do 70 on a good and often empty freeway.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funyon View Post
As far as crime, we are looking at Surprise, north Peoria or Litchfield Park, does anyone know about the crime in these areas?
These neighborhoods have been discussed with regard to crime; search the Phoenix forum and I think you'll find lots of info. North Peoria is nice, good schools, quiet, but a bit remote from central Phoenix and Scottsdale which is where there are more cultural activities.

As regards the other issues raised, try reading some of the local publications such as The Arizona Republic (azcentral.com) to get a flavor for local happenings, crime rates, politics, etc. Good luck whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area