Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:52 PM

97 posts, read 135,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Stay in Orange Co. Peoria is boring. The weather is dreadful compared to Orange. Utilities will eat up a huge amount in a SFR in Phoenix compared to Orange Co. Vistancia is out there and inconvenient to just about everything.
Boring in which way? Im more of a relaxed lifestyle as it is. Im definitely more of a homebody. I guess I’m a boring person too. I would imagine a solar planels help with the utility cost concern which I plan on having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:03 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MovingForward View Post
Just to be clear. House is selling no matter what, that’s been decided. . So everyone thinks a condo in OC is s better idea than moving to a house in a gated community in Vistancia?

No, not everyone. Just the people who would like Californians to stay put.

Quote:
Weather I’m aware is horribly hot in the summer but the rest of the year seems to be great.

They're right about one thing: Peoria is boring. I'm guessing you have $400-500k if you're looking at Vistancia. I'd take that money and buy a home in South Scottsdale. There are some nice remodels there and it would be convenient to Old Town.

I can't prove it, of course, but I think over time you would get more value from a home in Scottsdale than from one in Peoria.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Here is my scenario. I’m in Orange County. Time to downsize so house is for sale. The sale of my home allows me the funds to move into a 2 bedroom condo in Orange County ( no ocean views as that is super expensive even for a condo so would be more inland ) OR buy a home in in Vistanica gated community in Peoria?
No expert on Peoria, MovingForward . . .

However, after about a decade in Newport Beach, then another decade in the Bay Area (Marin, Alameda and Walnut Creek), I finally woke up and relocated to Tucson . . . my only regret has been that I did not "wake up and relocate" sooner.

Frequently I ask . . . WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?

Old 06-12-2018, 04:07 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
Just to be clear. House is selling no matter what, that’s been decided. . So everyone thinks a condo in OC is s better idea than moving to a house in a gated community in Vistancia? Weather I’m aware is horribly hot in the summer but the rest of the year seems to be great.
Well...lots of CA refugees moving to Prescott if you want to be in AZ but without the 110+ Summers. Not sure what other amenities you are looking for.

The climate is the pull of CA unfortunately. Every time we visit my kids start wanting to move there purely for the climate. They were both born and raised in AZ though so while we've traveled, they haven't lived anywhere else. It would be hard to give that up...but with the likelihood of Newsom becoming the next Governor, CA is just going to get more and more expensive. $400B Universal Healthcare, Homelessness Initiative (taxpayer funded housing), etc. Most of our friends/family in the middle class are accelerating their exit plans.

That being said...Vistancia is a master planned community in the $400k+ range. If You want to hang on to some of your profits from the home sale...Tucson, Prescott, towns outside Sedona...if you want some snow, Flagstaff is in that price range. My inlaws all relocated to Payson, Rim Country has some really nice communities as well. Pine, Strawberry, Show Low, Pinetop. Take some of the money and buy a couple of cabins and AirBnB or VRBO them. TONS of people from Phoenix vacation along the Rim, so you should have no lack of guests.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 06-12-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 04:31 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Look into Sierra Vista too. Why anyone would want to retire to multimillion people metro Phoenix when there are so many nicer places both here and around the country is beyond me.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
ignore the haters
Vistancia is a great community, I have friends there who just love it; actually I am going there tomorrow

easy traffic, super easy to get around, great views, and close to all sorts of natural beauty and shopping, yet far enough away from the congestion of metro phoenix/Scottsdale

and, if your retired, you dont have to deal with traffic during rush hour if and when you feel like exploring other areas of the valley

PM me and I will tell you more

Old 06-12-2018, 05:46 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Quote:
Here is my scenario. I’m in Orange County. Time to downsize so house is for sale. The sale of my home allows me the funds to move into a 2 bedroom condo in Orange County ( no ocean views as that is super expensive even for a condo so would be more inland ) OR buy a home in in Vistanica gated community in Peoria?
Follow your heart. Don't listen to our biased thoughts.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 PM

13 posts, read 7,151 times
Don't follow your heart.follow your brain!!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM

801 posts, read 453,209 times
Illinois: COLD. SNOW. Driving issues in snow. More money for heat.
Orange County, CA: Warm, near perfect weather. Driving issues = major traffic. More money for A.C..

Now, when you read those 2 opposites which one did your first instinct lean towards? Go with that one!

Another way of doing it: Meditate for a minute on both options then convince yourself that you will flip a coin and whatever the coin says, that's what you will do: Heads, Orange Co, Tails Illinois.

Now when you do it and get the answer, do you feel happy or disappointed with the answer? Do the one that would have made you feel happy.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:56 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
wrong peoria dude, this is Arizona, not Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area