Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:21 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Quite the opposite actually, I'm a former Californian and research properties regularly as I plan to return. Areas like Oceanside, within 1 mile from the ocean are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than an area 1 mile from the ocean in Orange County. There are of course some very expensive areas in SD county, but if one wants to live 5 minutes from the ocean, there are relative bargains in SD county compared to Orange County. Even areas like Carlsbad and Encinitas are much more affordable than their comparisons in OC. I think you're mistaken because SD county is much more expensive than Phoenix.
I'm not "mistaken". I used to live in SD and OCs too. When you cite Oceanside as an opportunity to find a "bargain" it kind of makes me laugh. Yes, Oceanside is lower priced than Carlsbad or Encinitas, for example, but it's less expensive for a reason. O'side has some nice newer cookie-cutter housing developments on its east side, but a lot of the older town is shabby overall IMO. Furthermore, it carries a negative reputation by many San Diego residents. It's not even in the same league as Irvine, several miles up the coast. Based on your search criteria, you might also want to look for RE in Imperial Beach. It's right on the coast and less expensive than other coastal towns. It's not for me, but you might like it.

Furthermore, I personally wouldn't want to live super close to the coast. For one, I wouldn't want all of that salt air ruining my electronics eqpt or my classic cars. Anything made of metal rusts fast there.
And the coast is often gloomier than inland areas, and it doesn't get warm enough in the summer for my taste. Then there are the partiers on the weekends. I'm way over that scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 01:30 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
wrong peoria dude, this is Arizona, not Illinois
I think the guy must have been enjoying an "herb" when he wrote that.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I'm not "mistaken". I used to live in SD and OCs too. When you cite Oceanside as an opportunity to find a "bargain" it kind of makes me laugh. Yes, Oceanside is lower priced than Carlsbad or Encinitas, for example, but it's less expensive for a reason. O'side has some nice newer cookie-cutter housing developments on its east side, but a lot of the older town is shabby overall IMO. Furthermore, it carries a negative reputation by many San Diego residents. It's not even in the same league as Irvine, several miles up the coast. Based on your search criteria, you might also want to look for RE in Imperial Beach. It's right on the coast and less expensive than other coastal towns. It's not for me, but you might like it.
I agree, Oceanside is thought of negatively, although it has improved substantially over the past 10 years or so. That's why I also mentioned Encinitas and Carlsbad, which you could compare to some parts of Irvine, even though Irvine isn't on the water. Compare it to Dana Point or Laguna and Encinitas and Carlsbad are much more affordable. The fact still stands that you pay a bit more of a premium in OC vs SD Counties, apples to apples. The point is moot anyway, as the OP has stated they aren't interested in SD County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Furthermore, I personally wouldn't want to live super close to the coast. For one, I wouldn't want all of that salt air ruining my electronics eqpt or my classic cars. Anything made of metal rusts fast there.
And the coast is often gloomier than inland areas, and it doesn't get warm enough in the summer for my taste. Then there are the partiers on the weekends. I'm way over that scene.
Different strokes for different folks. The fact that is costs so much more to live nearer the water speaks to it's overall desirability. More people prefer to live closer to the water and are willing to pay more for it, otherwise the inland areas would have higher costs. Doesn't mean it's for everyone, just that most do prefer to be closer to the water.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 PM

97 posts, read 135,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
The upside of OC is climate and beach as far as I know. For you personally, maybe family, friends, roots... Downside is cost of living and (from my perspective) just too crowded. Living in a condo versus a beautiful, well-designed sfh with private pool (and in Vistancia, likely a golf course and/or mountain view) is a downside in my view but might be an upside to those looking to simplify. A condo with an ocean view, that would be another story. Walkable to the beach? Would need to think hard.

How often do you get to the beach? How important is the proximity to your support system/family/friends? Does that outweigh the downsides?

If you're a homebody who doesn't need to get to the "big city amenities" too often (say, once or twice a week for sporting events, upscale shopping, cultural events etc.) Peoria is lovely if quiet and Vistancia is beautiful and well-planned. Golf, tennis, pickleball, etc. and plenty of walking with hiking nearby and Lake Pleasant not far away. Still the airport, football, baseball, shopping are within what is reasonable driving distance in that huge valley where one becomes accustomed to driving everywhere.

As far as that's concerned, I don't see the driving and suburban nature of the Valley of the Sun (which many deride) as much different from OC.

Hey, there's another upside. IMO, even in traffic the highways in Phoenix are much more pleasant than those in SoCal. Tidy, attractive, well-designed!

In fact, if you do not need to be in the thick of things (and as stated earlier in the thread, you probably can't go wrong investment-wise buying something closer in to Scottsdale or central Phoenix proper) there are plenty of beautiful, well-planned developments all over the valley, some of which will be lower in price than Vistancia. Estrella in Goodyear, Pebblecreek (55+) in Goodyear, Verrado in Buckeye, too many to name in Gilbert and Chandler....Northeast Mesa is close to some lakes as well and has some very attractive golf course and gated communities that are comparable in price to Vistancia.

So, upside in AZ is that you can take your choice of places to live, basically; have a new or nearly new home in a beautiful neighborhood where you can walk and recreate 8 months of the year and hide in your pool the other 4 if so inclined; We found people all over the valley friendly, and so many transplants and groups/activities that it's relatively easy to make new friends if you'd like; lower overall cost of living; beautiful desert surroundings if you like that kind of thing; better tax situation.

If being at the beach a lot were part of my way of daily life though, I'd have a hard time giving that up. But I know several people living in OC who get to the beach a few times a year and are killing themselves to keep up or have resigned themselves to never owning a home though they'd like to. I could easily get to the beach that often and still live a better daily lifestyle in AZ.

Phoenix has an art scene, a foodie scene, sporting events, great air service....Really convenient infrastructure for aging which is not nothing...

Just no ocean!
I like going down by the ocean meaning I’ll go to some restaurants near there but thats about it. Its pretty to look at but I’m not a lay in the sand kinda person nor do I ever go in the water. Ever. So I don’t know how much I would really miss it.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
I'm from Orange county area my parents moved to Fountain Valley in 1970 where I grew up. I lived in most of the beach city's though my 20's very nice place to live. I didn't make the kind of money it takes to live there apartment living wasn't what I wanted by the 1990's home prices were climbing way to fast for me to even consider home ownership.

Moving inland which most people have to do there to get lower cost home the weather gets much warmer and commuting 2+ hours a day wasn't what I wanted. Here is Phoenix area get much better deal and you don't have to be so close to your neighbor. I do miss the beach city's nice weather. Here we have mountains 2 hours away, and lot of hiking trails in the winter you can go to. What I like about Phoenix is the wide open feel in southern California so built up, and so many people.

You could come here and try it since your downsizing you could move back if you don't like it. I would rather have a home with little room between neighbors then being cramped into a condo. If the beach is something you like to go down to most weeks then give up the room and go to the condo there.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post

You could come here and try it since your downsizing you could move back if you don't like it. I would rather have a home with little room between neighbors then being cramped into a condo. If the beach is something you like to go down to most weeks then give up the room and go to the condo there.

This is probably the best idea. It's easy enough to find a really nice rental exactly in the area you want to be in, and give it a try before buying. A month, a season, a year...

There are restaurants here with beautiful views too. Even a few developments with man-made lakes that are certainly not the ocean, but are pretty. There are restaurants on Lake Pleasant and Saguaro Lake at least.

As much as I love an ocean view, I didn't grow up with it. A beautiful palm tree and a shimmering pool on a beautiful evening are not the same, but a good substitute as far as I'm concerned for the price and quality of life.

So obviously I'm to the point of trying to sell you on Phoenix, lol. Not really. But I do believe it's a great quality of life for the price.

Renting would be the cautious option, but with cash in hand those lovely homes in Vistancia would be very tempting!

Also, I find SoCal a bit too chilly. Just me? Lol.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
This is probably the best idea. It's easy enough to find a really nice rental exactly in the area you want to be in, and give it a try before buying. A month, a season, a year...

There are restaurants here with beautiful views too. Even a few developments with man-made lakes that are certainly not the ocean, but are pretty. There are restaurants on Lake Pleasant and Saguaro Lake at least.

As much as I love an ocean view, I didn't grow up with it. A beautiful palm tree and a shimmering pool on a beautiful evening are not the same, but a good substitute as far as I'm concerned for the price and quality of life.

So obviously I'm to the point of trying to sell you on Phoenix, lol. Not really. But I do believe it's a great quality of life for the price.

Renting would be the cautious option, but with cash in hand those lovely homes in Vistancia would be very tempting!

Also, I find SoCal a bit too chilly. Just me? Lol.
Funny you mention being chilly. I agree! I’m always cold. It was warm today but by 6 it’s cold. So I actually think I would be miserable by the beach. Lol. I’m definitely more inland. But it’s still pricey here
I was just in Palm Springs and I enjoyed the heat!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MovingForward View Post
Here is my scenario. I’m in Orange County. Time to downsize so house is for sale. The sale of my home allows me the funds to move into a 2 bedroom condo in Orange County ( no ocean views as that is super expensive even for a condo so would be more inland ) OR buy a home in in Vistanica gated community in Peoria?
Would it make more sense to own a condo in Peoria or anywhere in Phoenix and use that left over money to help with your retirement? Seems like the more feasible financial thing to do if you're willing to make the move. Possibly instead of a condo here, maybe a small and simple SFH.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 PM

39 posts, read 51,205 times
FWIW, we moved here 12 mos ago, from Rancho Santa Margarita. Life long OC peeps. We moved here to retire in a few years. We wanted to leave the OC for years..............we lost the war there.
We are in Scottsdale (OC East). We love it.
Calif has a HUGE cost of "living", and it is expensive too.
Ca is a bubble, about to burst. We did not want to be around to "pay" for it. A lot of our Boomer friends, are retiring, and leaving Ca as well. Most of them with Ca pensions.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwcfan View Post
FWIW, we moved here 12 mos ago, from Rancho Santa Margarita. Life long OC peeps. We moved here to retire in a few years. We wanted to leave the OC for years..............we lost the war there.
We are in Scottsdale (OC East). We love it.
Calif has a HUGE cost of "living", and it is expensive too.
Ca is a bubble, about to burst. We did not want to be around to "pay" for it. A lot of our Boomer friends, are retiring, and leaving Ca as well. Most of them with Ca pensions.

Good luck in your decision.
I’m very close to RSM! So glad to here. How you are doing there? Are you used to try heat? What are your thoughts about Peroria specifically Vistancia? I heard that’s compared to Orange County as well. I’m not looking in Scottsdale, more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area