Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 05:52 PM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnari View Post
Everyone is blasting a guy who won an overwhelming victory by the American people. More then double the electoral votes. Yea they didnt need to go to court to win like Bush. Let's give the guy a chance. Unlike Bush he actually has intelligence. And as far as judgement he voted against the Iraq war when it was very unpopular and "unamerican" to do so. So it tells me he has conviction as well as good judement.
I think everyone agrees that the Iraq invasion was a mistake. But then Obama voted against the surge which helped win the war, and which McCain supported, and later he was quoted to say the surge "succeeded beyond our wildest expectations"--in other words, he expected the U.S. military to fail. Luckily, most of his colleagues disagreed with Obama. And now he's the commander in chief.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
Oh come on now. 401Ks and SS has been in trouble for years.

No, Subie....SS has been in trouble for years. Our 401(k)'s are now in trouble.

The 401(k) plan was put in place as a "hedge" against the losses of a government funded retirement plan, as well as failed company pension plans.

I.e., we used to be somewhat in control of our own destiny. Not any more....

Vote for change, eh?

Ooops.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:03 PM

108 posts, read 362,290 times
Default update...

It was far more than 2 million votes difference.

Obama received 65 million of the popular vote to McCain's 57 million.

That is EIGHT MILLION MORE!

Also, electoral, 364 to 163

You call it what you like, but I say LANDSLIDE!

Yeah Baby!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Kool-Aid.

It's what's for dinner.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnari View Post
Everyone is blasting a guy who won an overwhelming victory by the American people. More then double the electoral votes. Yea they didnt need to go to court to win like Bush. Let's give the guy a chance. Unlike Bush he actually has intelligence. And as far as judgement he voted against the Iraq war when it was very unpopular and "unamerican" to do so. So it tells me he has conviction as well as good judement.

Conservatives you need to redefine your party. A lot of what your party stands for really appeals to me. Like fiscal responsibility and small government. ROFL. Dont bust a gut laughing at their performance their. And I'm not interested in the moral policeing of this county. Government does not belong in the bedrooms of Americans. Religion, I have been very clear on. George Bush dictates policy based on his extreme religious views. Example Stem cell research and Supreme court nominations. And lastly, how about rolling out some candidates who have brains. Sarah Palin? Ouch. America was bright enough to reject the caribou barbie who couldnt cut it with a simple interview from that "vicious" left wing journalist Katie Couric.
Not all republicans are conservation anymore than all democrats are liberals. There are various stages, I am a Republican as most know, I am also middler of the road on some issues, to the right on others and maybe even far right on some, most of us can say the same. You are right about the bedroom that is why the government should not be involved in gay rights, abortion rights, etc. I have no problem with this.

And yes, Katie Couric is a vicous left winger. I do believe the republican party needs to revamp and rebuild, just like the democratic party apparently has done in the past few years..

Nita

Old 11-07-2008, 07:25 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
My bad, okay he got 8 million more votes than McSame - congratulations Barack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Since the difference was 2 million votes, it was by NO means a landslide. I wrote in Ron Paul for President, although I'm giving Barack Obama the benefit of the doubt. He deserves patience from us, perhaps for at least the first 6 months.

Personally I want us to keep the Bush tax cuts. I turn 50 in 2009, which means I will only have 2 years, 2009 and 2010, to do a catchup IRA and catchup 401k. I heard rumors the Dems want to confiscate the 401k money we people have saved and use it for social security. If so, I will be even more angry at them than I was with the $850B bailout.

So far, Barack is promising himself as a pragmatist. He may even forget about raising taxes on higher income people, since they provide jobs. Any tax increase is a bad increase. There is a lot of wasted government spending, $trillions, spent unconstituionally.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 PM

161 posts, read 693,272 times
Wow, our country is off to a great start trying to band together to rebuild itself, what with all the optimism we have from the other side.

How about getting over your overwhelming need to say I told you so and focus on banding together as a country? I'm amazed at all the useless, "you wait and see, I told you so" BS going on. How is that helping in the slightest? Oh right, it's not.

At least McCain is more graceful than his apparent supporters. One of the reasons I was really on the fence with my vote up until the very end.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Wow, our country is off to a great start trying to band together to rebuild itself, what with all the optimism we have from the other side.

How about getting over your overwhelming need to say I told you so and focus on banding together as a country? I'm amazed at all the useless, "you wait and see, I told you so" BS going on. How is that helping in the slightest? Oh right, it's not.

At least McCain is more graceful than his apparent supporters. One of the reasons I was really on the fence with my vote up until the very end.
I totally disagree with you. I think, for the most part McCain supporters have been gracious and are hoping for the best. From what we have seen so far, working together isn't starting to happen. His first appointment, a man who is noted for being a full fledged lib and has admitted to being a hard core particin politician. I hope this isn't what we will see with all his appointments.

Add to this, I have seen and read more: ha, ha, ha, from the left than the right. Again, lets hope this dies down before long..

I am one, that hopes, for our country, he does a great job.

Nita

Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:

There's been a lot of that on both sides. You should see some of the fanatical Obama supporters out there. It's downright scary. I do agree with you that McCain and Obama themselves have a lot of class and have been quite graceful.

Some people are disappointed and need to let off some steam. Let a few weeks go by and things will be back to normal, unless Obie does something bad. I didn't vote for him, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:53 AM

103 posts, read 229,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I think everyone agrees that the Iraq invasion was a mistake. But then Obama voted against the surge which helped win the war, and which McCain supported, and later he was quoted to say the surge "succeeded beyond our wildest expectations"--in other words, he expected the U.S. military to fail. Luckily, most of his colleagues disagreed with Obama. And now he's the commander in chief.
I love how McCain and others use the surge as a rational of their greatest clusterfuk: the invasion of Iraq. It does not in any way justify the war. Wow the surge has had some success after how many years? How many lives? and how many billions of dollars? Jeez I guess we can now call Iraq a success. Thank god McCain is not commander in chief. If Canada sneezed he would order the bombs to be dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area