Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times

Advertisements

Funny....

...go to Florida, ask folks where they're from....

...either New York or Michigan....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 02:55 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
I'm guess I'm one of those very rare birds who was born in South Florida(Ft. Lauderdale) and moved to Phoenix 7 years ago.

Florida's ok...sometimes I miss the diversity of culture there...the Cuban sandwiches, the Brazilian scene in Pompano Beach and Miami, the Jewish humor and influence, the dancing (everyone in Florida dances, whether they can or can't technically doesn't even matter). The easy relationships and friendships between people of different races and cultures. There's little of the Mexican versus Anglo tension we've got here in Phoenix, due to reasons which are bit complicated to get into right now.

But I love Phoenix, too, for different reasons. The access to wide-open spaces, to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, the desert scenery. The laid-back pace of life and work(except in highway driving!). The dry climate, the hiking opportunities. And I think the culture part will get better in time...I think part of it is that Phoenix is not really considered a true 'international' city, the way Miami, San Francisco, New York, and Las Vegas are. Phoenix is a natural gateway to Sedona and the Grand Canyon...but it seems we should do more to promote international flights and culture. Or try to do something to set Phoenix apart, as having its own unique culture. Maybe we should strive for having a special type of cuisine, or architecture, or music that can be found nowhere else? Not sure how but it would be nice.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM

429 posts, read 684,945 times
missouri has nothing going on...........EVER!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 03:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,538 times
You have the All-Star Major League Baseball Game on Tuesday in St. Louis!!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
If Midwesterners really wanted to go to Cali but AZ was cheaper, why didn't they go to Bakersfield, Indio, 29 Palms, etc.? It is cheaper than many parts of AZ including Phoenix and still much closer to the beach???
Good question. My post was just a theory. I don't think everyone is after a beach lifestyle. After ten years in San Diego, I don't miss the beach one second. I hardly ever enjoyed it because it was always crowded, the water was cold, and I could never figure the logistics for going ALONE. How do you go the beach alone? Where do you leave your towel, wallet, etc?

I preferred the beaches in Florida because the sand was softer and there were many more beaches to choose from. However, I think Florida is just a flaccid p****s hanging off the East Coast. It has nothing to offer when you're more than 100' from the water.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Good question. My post was just a theory. I don't think everyone is after a beach lifestyle. After ten years in San Diego, I don't miss the beach one second. I hardly ever enjoyed it because it was always crowded, the water was cold, and I could never figure the logistics for going ALONE. How do you go the beach alone? Where do you leave your towel, wallet, etc?

I preferred the beaches in Florida because the sand was softer and there were many more beaches to choose from. However, I think Florida is just a flaccid p****s hanging off the East Coast. It has nothing to offer when you're more than 100' from the water.
You post is too damn true for comfort.

I have lived in both SoCal and Florida so I know of what you speak of on all points.

In all fairness; I felt at home in the 'Hi-Desert' (Morongo Valley-29 Palms) the few times I drove through there back in 2006

Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Man , that hockey game in Wrigley earlier this year was prob'ly the neatest thing I've seen on the television.

Ya just can't do that in Phoenix......
Not outdoors at least. A few days before the game the sun was melting a lot of the ice and they were getting a bit nervous, but the temps dropped and the clouds moved in for the day of the game. The goalies were complaining about glare on the ice from the sun, and had to wear black makeup under their eyes (ala baseball players) to keep the glare down.

IMO, Wrigley was a bad idea. It would have been sooooo much better to hold it at Soldier Field, but hey!

Old 07-12-2009, 03:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
missouri has nothing going on...........EVER!!!!!!
Riiiiight. Like St. Louis, Springfield, Branson, Kansas City, etc, etc, have nothing ever going on.

Puh-frickin-leeze!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
This has probably been discussed somewhat here, but I have always wondered WHY there are so many people here from the Midwest. Like what are the actual reasons? I have met a lot of people here from Michigan, Ohio, Chicago, Illinois in general, and Indiana. Does it suck that much over there that you move here ?? Is there one main reason or is it just a coincidence that people wanted to move here for there own personal reasons and they were all from the Midwest?
I moved here from Minnesota to go to school and don't like it at all. Phoenix is too spread out, boring, has a lot of horrible drivers, traffic cameras everywhere, completely ridiculous laws and police, way too ridiculously conservative, money stealing from behind your back republican, I hate the desert, and palm trees are starting to annoy me. The real reason people move here to stay is because they don't like the cold and it's really cheap to live in AZ.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:35 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I moved here from Minnesota to go to school and don't like it at all. Phoenix is too spread out, boring, has a lot of horrible drivers, traffic cameras everywhere, completely ridiculous laws and police, way too ridiculously conservative, money stealing from behind your back republican, I hate the desert, and palm trees are starting to annoy me. The real reason people move here to stay is because they don't like the cold and it's really cheap to live in AZ.
Well, I hope you knew Phoenix was in the desert and palm trees were planted here before you decided to move...or did you figure this out when you moved here??? Also, if you hate the spread out aspect, why not live somewhere central where it isn't and public transit is an option? Too expensive? If you choose to live far in a suburban region, then yes, it will be cheaper and far from the things you've mentioned...common sense buddy! Seems lacking much of the time, however. Also Phoenix was ranked as the safest big city to drive in, surpassing Minneapolis, maybe you are the horrible driver? Calling the kettle black are we...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area