Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 AM

755 posts, read 1,119,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
lol so you have heat only 3 months and the north has snow for 6? Try flipping that around and you will have it right.
In Montana snow is expected at least October through April (no, not constant snow, but it's normal in any of those months, certainly not surprising in May and has been seen in June). The temperatures are what most of the country would call wintry for at least those months. Spring is iffy, and one definitely does not plant a vegetable garden or put out annuals until MEMORIAL DAY. Fall (September) can sometimes be lovely and might stretch into October with intermittent snow not unusual at that point. I've trick-or-treated in a parka and in short sleeves.

If wintry weather was only six months in Montana I wouldn't be spending all my time in Phoenix

Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I especially love the 51. I love how the pedestrian bridges are shaped to look like the mountains. It's a pretty drive considering it is a freeway!
There's only one bridge like that, and thats up between the Northern and 32nd St exit area. The rest of the bridges along 51 are blah.

But yeah, its pretty.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Flatlanders in awe of mountains! Who knew?

I had never visited Phoenix before I moved here, so I was happy to be in awe

Last edited by ElleTea; 07-29-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I love the northern part when you are heading south and make that first turn where you feel like you are in the mountains. So pretty! That was one of the first drives I took when I first moved here. Coming from the flat lands of the Midwest, I was in awe! (still am)
Besides the 17 up north of Deer Valley, the 51 is the most scenic highway in the Valley (as far as the ones in the city limits goes), IMO. Beautiful.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:43 AM

On the flipside, we have to deal with MEH all year...
http://ksaz.images.worldnow.com/images/1638369_G.jpg

While others get to enjoy world class cities...
http://media.timeout.com/images/1016.../347/image.jpg

Weather is only a small part of life. Id rather put up with a world class city with less-than-desireable weather, than deal with ideal weather (if you call our summers "ideal") in a less-than-stellar city. Amenities, arts, culture, jobs, etc, are far more important to me.

Ask me why I left Chicago for Phoenix again. Oh yeah, the wife. lol

I still love AZ, though. Its just Phoenix sorely lacks in so many areas.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:53 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
On the flipside, we have to deal with MEH all year...
http://ksaz.images.worldnow.com/images/1638369_G.jpg

While others get to enjoy world class cities...
http://media.timeout.com/images/1016.../347/image.jpg

Weather is only a small part of life. Id rather put up with a world class city with less-than-desireable weather, than deal with ideal weather (if you call our summers "ideal") in a less-than-stellar city. Amenities, arts, culture, jobs, etc, are far more important to me.

Ask me why I left Chicago for Phoenix again. Oh yeah, the wife. lol

I still love AZ, though. Its just Phoenix sorely lacks in so many areas.

Weather is a small part of life to some, but a big impact for others. It is a huge deal for me, that's why I picked a place with the best (IMO) weather. Everything else about a city I can deal with. The weather affects me greatly and the amount of stress that has been removed from my life just by living someplace where I can count on it being nice outside almost every day without thinking about it is worth it. When I lived in the Midwest I suffered from seasonal depression and it was getting worse and worse each passing year; it started at Labor Day approached and lasted well into April. I NEED the sun and I NEED warmth/heat to feel good in my day to day life. Overcast and cool days can change my mood immediately, too.

I am probably one of the few who never tires of weather threads on here for the same reasons.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Weather is a small part of life to some, but a big impact for others. It is a huge deal for me, that's why I picked a place with the best (IMO) weather. Everything else about a city I can deal with. The weather affects me greatly and the amount of stress that has been removed from my life just by living someplace where I can count on it being nice outside almost every day without thinking about it is worth it. When I lived in the Midwest I suffered from seasonal depression and it was getting worse and worse each passing year; it started at Labor Day approached and lasted well into April. I NEED the sun and I NEED warmth/heat to feel good in my day to day life. Overcast and cool days can change my mood immediately, too.

I am probably one of the few who never tires of weather threads on here for the same reasons.
To each their own, of course!

I just dislike how long the summers are here. If we could trim it in half I would be ecstatic. I miss Chicago fiercely. I dont really miss the winters too much (well, a little, maybe), but I miss the pulse the city had. I miss the architecture, the public transportation, the water, the museums, and my God do I miss the food!

Phoenix isnt horrible, but its just BLAH. There are far, far, far worse places to live, but compared to the other big cities, it just doesnt hold a candle, sadly.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:51 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,279 times
No, I agree that Phoenix is not the same sort of city as Chicago, New York, Philadelphia. There are things I really love about those cities that I'd certainly love to have in Phoenix. But that's not the way this city grew, just not what this city is. For me the weather and the beauty of the place are the big draws, with the metro amenities sealing the deal. It's enough, but no it will never be like those cities I mentioned.

If you ask me, however, it beats L.A.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:15 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
I love the northern part when you are heading south and make that first turn where you feel like you are in the mountains. So pretty! That was one of the first drives I took when I first moved here. Coming from the flat lands of the Midwest, I was in awe! (still am)
Well...it did start out as a parkway. Used to be the Dreamy Draw Parkway...not so much anymore

Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
World Class Cities still get smog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area