Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,338,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, its not Louisiana-style rains, but it rains here, especially during monsoon season and winter. It usually rains 1-3 times a week during monsoon season, and less frequently in winter (but with higher rainfall totals it usually seems). And the mosquitos multiply hardcore shortly thereafter. We basically get a 2 month mosquito-free year here. Ive seen them as early as February, and as late as December, its ridiculous!!!!!!!
I've yet to see virtually any mosquitoes at our house in 1.5 years at this location. I go outside at night on the patio or swimming and I don't get bit. If you have mosquitoes after a rain here, somewhere near your house has standing water. To say it's a 2 month mosquito free year here is insane. One of the biggest benefits of living in Phoenix compared to other states I've lived in is very little in the terms of annoying bugs when outside.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
When I was there in March there were heatwaves in the low 90's which for me is starting to get uncomfortable, especially if you don't park in the shade. Mid 80's and below is good.
And that was very unusual, record heat. You can't extrapolate from that one year (and the cooler weather that followed it) that it is "miserable" here for eight months out of the year.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:50 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
To say it's a 2 month mosquito free year here is insane. One of the biggest benefits of living in Phoenix compared to other states I've lived in is very little in the terms of annoying bugs when outside.
Its not insane. Just because you dont have a problem where you live doesnt mean that Im falsifying my information. Ive killed mosquitos in the house as early as February, and they dont really go away until Christmas. This is now 3 years in a row we've had this problem. And many, many, many people have this same problem across the Valley.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:22 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,729,815 times
BIG CATS, I am sorry you are having to deal with a mosquito issue where you are. I grew up back east where they were so big and frequent they were considered small pets! Comparatively speaking, where I now live we may see a few (and that's pushing it!) In a year. For me that is a huge perk to living here.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM

779 posts, read 928,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And that was very unusual, record heat. You can't extrapolate from that one year (and the cooler weather that followed it) that it is "miserable" here for eight months out of the year.
March, April, May, Jun, July, August, September, and October see average highs of 90+ everyday or close to it. To me, that's miserable weather.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Its not insane. Just because you dont have a problem where you live doesnt mean that Im falsifying my information. Ive killed mosquitos in the house as early as February, and they dont really go away until Christmas. This is now 3 years in a row we've had this problem. And many, many, many people have this same problem across the Valley.
I didn't say you falsified information, I stated that if you are having that much of a problem with mosquitoes (all year round like you claim) it's because you live somewhere where standing water is present. Simple as that.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:44 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
BIG CATS, I am sorry you are having to deal with a mosquito issue where you are. I grew up back east where they were so big and frequent they were considered small pets! Comparatively speaking, where I now live we may see a few (and that's pushing it!) In a year. For me that is a huge perk to living here.
Yeah, we were quite shocked to see this many mosquitos in AZ. It was disheartening to say the least. We lived in IL before moving here, and it was hit-or-miss as far as skeeters went (same as in Phoenix). We lived in areas that had no problems, and others that were horrible. Same goes for the Valley, apparently.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we were quite shocked to see this many mosquitos in AZ. It was disheartening to say the least. We lived in IL before moving here, and it was hit-or-miss as far as skeeters went (same as in Phoenix). We lived in areas that had no problems, and others that were horrible. Same goes for the Valley, apparently.
Do you live in a community with "lakes?"

Old 06-25-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
March, April, May, Jun, July, August, September, and October see average highs of 90+ everyday or close to it. To me, that's miserable weather.

If you actually bothered to look it up, you would find that March is nowhere close to an average of 90 plus. April is mid-80's, back to mid 80's in October. All those months have very cool nights. If you call all those months "miserable", then you definitely should not live here, or visit outside the four months you think are not miserable. Let's just say you are quite heat sensitive, and yours would be a definite minority opinion to be shared with full disclosure to those outsiders who are seeking opinions about the climate here.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:

You must have neighbors who let standing water accumulate somewhere (it can be in something as small as a pot or bucket, or tray under a plant pot). Or, something larger like a fish pond or irrigation that doesn't drain fully. It's VERY unusual to have such a persistent problem without a nearby standing water source or sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area