Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
The list is pretty terrible but cheesesteaks are undoubtedly better than primanti's. Philly has plenty of statues of real people. let's face it, they're both better than atlanta.
BOTH BETTER THAN Atlanta....I am not very fond of THAT place.. lol
STILL anyway...We don't in general don't have any real animosity towards the Burgh but we also don't really think about it either. So outside of "Hockey or Football " every once & a while there is NOTHING else competition wise with Pittsburgh.. I really did like their basketball team though....when they had Doc. I'm sorry they no longer have their championship team but we were able to get Erving when they folded.

The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh. Chance of a lifetime - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Really! This is what you call Fine in the evening?...

No Thanks! I want a trip home not the ER

Again this was in Chinatown, below Temple

SMDH

I don't need to live in Philly to know what's going on, and I get back to Philly probably twice a month, so it's almost like I never left. One thing I love about Philly it nice and close to my current residence of NYC so it commutable.
chinatown isn't on the main line. in fact, that station sees an average of three people a day boarding at it. they tried to close it a few years ago and they should have, it's only three blocks to the nearby and better used 8th and market stop. generally speaking, the bsl isn't terrible, and probably safer than the el at night. in fact, if you look at the schedules, the bsl runs more often at night than the el. once you're outside center city the el goes through some of the worst neighborhoods in philly. people take the broad st subway to center city and sports games all the time, let's not get carried away here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I didn't say violence never happened, but it's still pretty uncommon. I'm a medium-sized, thoroughly unintimidating white male who has never had an issue. Exercise common sense and you're fine. It's probably good the trains stop running after midnight though. Otherwise I could see there being a lot of chaos on the weekends.
this seems pretty much it...except I don't see there being much chaos because subways run later. it might be bad for the cab business but that's about it. want chaos? carson st, 230 am.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Needing to be with a group of people to be safe doesn't define safe for me.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
chinatown isn't on the main line. in fact, that station sees an average of three people a day boarding at it. they tried to close it a few years ago and they should have, it's only three blocks to the nearby and better used 8th and market stop. generally speaking, the bsl isn't terrible, and probably safer than the el at night. in fact, if you look at the schedules, the bsl runs more often at night than the el. once you're outside center city the el goes through some of the worst neighborhoods in philly. people take the broad st subway to center city and sports games all the time, let's not get carried away here.
Wait you're saying the BSL is/was Safer than the EL.....Sorry pman, I don't buy that for NY minute, the Subway always had a known reputation of being much more dangerous at night (at least for women) than the EL. The EL only recently started having random acts of Violence. Hell to have my one GF tell it, the EL was safer than the Southwest Trolleys.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Based on your posts in this thread, it seems you are taking this too seriously and care too much.
I guess you couldn't tell that all my posts were sarcastic in tone? I was kidding bud. Lighten up.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Needing to be with a group of people to be safe doesn't define safe for me.
I was thinking the same thing

Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
IDK, I've found most of the MFL stations to be incredibly dirty. The BSL isn't as bad.
Really? I mean I never take the MFL passed ~34th and never past Spring Garden in the other direction but those subway stations are spotless! Especially the ones in Center City.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But then again.....Riding Philadelphia's subway at night..hmmmm...lets just say I'll take a Pittsburgh bus over it, you stand a better chance of getting home alive. And now I'm hearing even the Market Frankford EL has become the Wild Wild West @ Night, that used to be immuned from the violence you found on the Broad-Street Subway. The latest I heard was a Shooting on the EL @ 56th from a couple of kid arguing and a woman getting pushed onto the track of the 8th/Market subway station in Chinatown.
Haha what? The MFL is safe. That's absurd. Constantly people riding it especially going to bars. It's always packed.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM

It's funny to see all the misinformed people on this site. I don't get it... why open your mouth and talk if you clearly don't know what you are talking about? It's clear most of these people have never been to Philadelphia or at least haven't been in the past 10 years since Philadelphia has started it's resurgence and started rebuilding itself. Bringing up crime on the subway Blackbeauty? Really? I know you're a notorious Philly hater but come on.

Since you seem to love NYC so much
2 Cops Shot on NYC Subway - As NYT takes a look at impact of subway deaths
Man shot in Brooklyn subway station - New York News | NYC Breaking News
Naeem Davis pleads not guilty to murder in NYC subway push death - Crimesider - CBS News
Man Killed After Being Pushed in Front of NYC Subway - ABC News

All you're doing is pettifogging the issue. Let's stop acting like Pittsburgh doesn't have crime, because we all know it does, and it's not much better than Philadelphia.

Let's stop being ridiculous for a little shall we? I like how you guys keep calling Philadelphian's rude and aggressive but you are the ones who keep attacking us haha! Talk about hypocritical.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Gotta love that Pittsburgh Cream Cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh