Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
So, Summersm343 and UDResident are not accurate representations of how the general Philadelphia population speaks, right?
UDResident is from a working class inner suburb. Summers, from what I know, is from a lower middle to middle class middle suburb. I'm from an upper middle to upper class inner suburb. We're accurate representations of Philadelphia the way someone from Millvale or Baldwin or Fox Chapel would be an accurate representation of Pittsburgh. You can make inferences with respect to certain parts, but definitely not either region as a whole. But though their accents may differ a bit from mine (I'm not sure--I haven't met either IRL), given that they're both intelligent, articulate individuals, I'd bet good money neither sound thuggish or uneducated as you seem to be implying. Also keep in mind that I'm Jewish and they're not. There are obviously a lot of factors at play here.

If you want to hear a classic Philly accent, listen to Jim Cramer or Chris Matthews, who, incidentally grew up middle to upper middle class. Do they sound blue collar to you?

Chime in summers, I don't want to "speak for you," haha.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-21-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,317 times
[quote=Blackbeauty212;28346810]Love how the Philly Homers decided to grace the Pittsburgh forum to remind us "How Pittsburgh doesn't compare" as usual. I will admit most of the list is pretty trivial and insignificant....Both cities have their qualities and "needs improvement" shall we say.

More Diverse (Philadelphia is no Utopia of ethnicity and race, outside of a Spanish Ghetto and a Chinatown it largely much like Pittsburgh, White and Black).
Toss Ups:

That's where you are wrong.. The city has gone beyond just black & white. Maybe to the casual observer Philadelphia may seem that way but it's far from it. My fiance is puerto rican and neither she nor her family resides in a Spanish Ghetto. My last trip to Philly, where I spent a month was an eye opening experience as far as cultures of latinos living there. The area I spent time in and now rent a place has quite a diverse latin population. My next door neighbors are from Ecuador and they have relatives within a three block span, two doors down there's a puerto rican & brazilian family and much of the neighborhood is brazilian as well as portuguese,greek, irish, polish, and dominican.( My neighbors claim that most people assume they're all PR or dominican)

I've walked most of the area for blocks & blocks, something I could not do in Atlanta nor as much in California (Where I permanently reside) and I totally enjoyed it each day/night I did it and never felt threatened at all.
When I picked up my niece from Northeast HS I noticed that the face of that school has changed a lot, as I waited I saw a rainbow of ethnicities exiting the building. My niece finally showed up she had about 7 or 8 friends that she introduced me to and they were of various nationalities including India, Spain, and Portugal.

There are a few asian cultures in Philadelphia neighborhoods, hmong & vietnamese, in West Philly, and Logan/Hunting Park. There are coulumbians and peruvians along with the long time puerto rican population residing in the Fairmount/Franklyn Town area of North Philly. South Philly's longtime Italian areas have seen large influx of mexicans and cambodians over the last 15 years. My old stomping grounds in Southwest is affectionately called Southwest Africa because of the many cultures of Africa being represented. At the Clark Park festivals and the days I would go over there for a good chess game I met plenty of people from The Congo, Kumasi, Accra, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somolia,etc;. I enjoy seeing their children fervently competing in soccer/futball on the same field we played (Real Football on..lol) There's over two thousand people from the Middle East that attend that Mosque on 43rd & Walnut, some reside in the area and some through other parts of town. Lastly my old neighborhood that I spent my teenage years in used to be called "Little Italy" and now it's primarily west indian, jamaican, and hatian.

The other night my fiance & her mom & sisters read me the riot act on SKYPE for not eating much of her food while in town.. (lol...) I love her food but I just wanted to eat PHILLY food after two years in Atlanta and being back on the West Coast the past few months and I was able to eat at most of the restaurants in the areas I mentioned because the entreprenueurs in those cultures have opened up some excellent (read authentic) eateries. I LOVED it, loved the people, love the city (enough to rent place) and look forward to returning this spring for awhile....& maybe purchasing a home before the year's out.

Last edited by Lenses & Lights.; 02-21-2013 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Not a basher... but she tends to blow every scenario out of proportion... like idk... suggesting that every area outside of Philadelphia is a ghetto? Yep she said that once. That the city of Pittsburgh produces a higher GDP than the city of Philadelphia? Yep she said that too. She just says things that are obviously extremely exaggerated towards her bias for Pittsburgh.
What I actually said wise guy was most neighborhoods outside of The Greater Center City area are Ghetto....and that is true of Philly it has a large number of Ghettos and impoverished neighborhoods. Philadelphia is one of the Poorest cities in the country..A fact you cannot deny.

2, city of Pittsburgh has the sixth highest Job density in the country even higher than Philadelphia.

Philadelphia GDP and Jobs is largely sprawled into its suburbs as well as it Wealth, NOT the city. Within a few years Its projected that Pittsburgh will be on par with Philadelphia in median incomes.

I don't blow anything out of proportion, but I do tire of your homer misrepresentation that Philly is some sort of economic overachieving oasis compare to the burgh. I love how I supposedly "just says things that are obviously extremely exaggerated towards her bias for Pittsburgh", that a "Pot meets Kettle" comment if I've ever seen one right there....LMAO

Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
so what? better they do it on a subway than driving a car. there's late night regional rail service and there should be late night subway service. it's not like finding a cab on carson st sidestepping urinators, vomiters, and drunken arguments trying to catch the one cab on the whole st
The TRAINS STOP RUNNING at Midnight. The Shuttle Buses RUN ALL NIGHT & ONLY STOP AT EL OR SUBWAY STOPS.. The C Bus runs 24-7 Also and stops at nearly every other corner from Fernrock to Pattison.
Therefore you'll STILL SEE the SAME party people & assorted KNUCKLEHEADS......They're just riding ABOVE GROUND now. This stopping the trains at midnight is rather recent because I used to catch them ALL night even by myself in the 90's and before.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Philadelphia Cream Cheese is from New York anyway. Can't we all just get along?

Kum Ba Ya
Caplan's cream cheese that goes with their bagels kicks the hell out of Philadelphia cream cheese. I believe it's locally made, as Caplan's is located in Roxborough.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Philadelphia GDP and Jobs is largely sprawled into its suburbs as well as it Wealth, NOT the city. Within a few years Its projected that Pittsburgh will be on par with Philadelphia in median incomes.
The city? Cause the metro is a long ways away.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Quote:
I saw your first post before you edited. You said, "Okay, fair enough."
Hahahaha thought it would be clever if I said bud again Was hoping you didn't see it.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
So, Summersm343 and UDResident are not accurate representations of how the general Philadelphia population speaks, right?
Hahaha I rarely say bud in everyday conversation. Trust me.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
UDResident is from a working class inner suburb. Summers, from what I know, is from a lower middle to middle class middle suburb. I'm from an upper middle to upper class inner suburb. We're accurate representations of Philadelphia the way someone from Millvale or Baldwin or Fox Chapel would be an accurate representation of Pittsburgh. You can make inferences with respect to certain parts, but definitely not either region as a whole. But though their accents may differ a bit from mine (I'm not sure--I haven't met either IRL), given that they're both intelligent, articulate individuals, I'd bet good money neither sound thuggish or uneducated as you seem to be implying. Also keep in mind that I'm Jewish and they're not. There are obviously a lot of factors at play here.

If you want to hear a classic Philly accent, listen to Jim Cramer or Chris Matthews, who, incidentally grew up middle to upper middle class. Do they sound blue collar to you?

Chime in summers, I don't want to "speak for you," haha.
Haha yeah I don't really have a Philly accent at all. Even though I live in Philadelphia now, I'm from Bucks County and grew up middle class. Every once in a while it will shine through though

"What you gonna do today?"
"Where you gonna be at?"

I always catch myself saying crap like that lol and try to correct it. Why as Philadelphian's do we insist on putting "at" where it doesn't belong? Haha.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
What I actually said wise guy was most neighborhoods outside of The Greater Center City area are Ghetto....and that is true of Philly it has a large number of Ghettos and impoverished neighborhoods. Philadelphia is one of the Poorest cities in the country..A fact you cannot deny.

Yes. 25% of the people in Philadelphia live in poverty and it seems to increase every few years. Philly's ghettos are way worse looking, and also more violent crime ridden, than those in Pittsburgh. With certain areas of Center City you have to be very careful that you don't wander into North Philly. The Art Museum/Fairmount neighborhood is a prime example, as is Northern Liberties.

2, city of Pittsburgh has the sixth highest Job density in the country even higher than Philadelphia.

Pittsburgh is also home to more Fortune 500 companies.

I don't blow anything out of proportion, but I do tire of your homer misrepresentation that Philly is some sort of economic overachieving oasis compare to the burgh. I love how I supposedly "just says things that are obviously extremely exaggerated towards her bias for Pittsburgh", that a "Pot meets Kettle" comment if I've ever seen one right there....LMAO
I've lived in Philadelphia my whole life and while I do love it here, I will never gloss over some of its bad features. We have a terrible violent crime rate and also taxes are a problem as are the public schools. Yes there are many good neighborhoods and I happen to live in one. But so much of the city is becoming ghetto-ized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh