Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philadelphia2035

According to the link you posted... The City of Pittsburgh has 8... The City of Philadelphia has 4 fortune 500s

1 Comcast (and I would be worried about this, with the buyout of NBCU Brian Roberts in buying up a lot of NBC property and expanding at Rock Center as Time Warner moves out)
2 Aramark
3 Urban Outfitters
4 Sunoco

Pittsburgh Metro has 13

1. US Steel, Pittsburgh
2. PPG Industries, Pittsburgh
3. Heinz, Pittsburgh
4. PNC, Pittsburgh
5. Wesco, Pittsburgh
6. Allegheny Technologies, Pittsburgh
7. Mylan, Canonsburg
8. Consol Energy, Canonsburg
9. Dick's Sporting Goods, Pittsburgh
10. Allegheny Energy, Greensburg
11. American Eagle, Pittsburgh
12. Kennametal, Latrobe
13. Atlas America, Moon Township

You wanna compare Fortune 1000s?

Fortune 1000:

Pittsburgh: 12 total
1. UPMC
2. Alcoa
3. CONSOL Energy
4. Duquesne Lights
5. EQT
6. Highmark
7. Matthews International Corp.
8. PNC
9. Dick's Sporting Goods
10. PPG
11. Reed Smith
12. Heinz
Fortune 1000 Companies Headquarted In Pittsburgh « Photo Galleries « CBS Pittsburgh

Philadelphia: 31 total
1. Airgas NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
2. AmerisourceBergen NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
3. Ametek NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
4. Aramark
5. Burlington Coat Factory NOT LOCATED IN PA
6. Campbell Soup Company NOT LOCATED IN PA
7. Carpenter NOT LOCATED IN PA
8. Cephalon NOT LOCATED IN PA
9. Cigna NOT LOCATED IN PA
10. Charming Shoppes NOT LOCATED IN PA
11. Comcast
12. Crown Holdings NOT LOCATED IN PA
13. DuPontNOT LOCATED IN PA
14. Endo PharmaceuticalsNOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
15. FMC
16. Interdigital NOT LOCATED IN PA
17. Lincoln National Corporation NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
18. Penn National Gaming NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
19. Pep Boys NOT LOCATED IN PA
20. Radian Group
21. Sunoco NOT LOCATED IN PA, Sunoco has been Brought!
22. Sungard NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
23. Teleflex NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
24. Toll Brothers NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
25. UGI NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
26. Unisys NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
27. Universal Health Systems NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
28. Urban Outfitters
29. Vishay Intertechnology NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
30. VWR International NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
31. West Pharmaceutical Services NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA

Global Fortune 500 companies with US Headquarters in city:

Pittsburgh: 0 total

Philadelphia: 4 total
1. AstraZeneca US HQ is NYC not PHILADELPHIA
2. HSBC Bank USA US HQ is NYC not PHILADELPHIA
3. ING Direct US HQ is NYC not PHILADELPHIA, Also was now sold to Capital One
4. Seimans Healthcare NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA

US Fortune 1000 with divisions in city:

Philadelphia: 10 total
1. Acme NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
2. Boeing Rotorcraft NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
3. Centocor NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
4. Delmarva Power NOT LOCATED IN PA
5. Keystone Helicopter NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
6. MBNA NO LONGER EXIST, Brought Out By BofA Long Ago
7. McNeil Laboratories NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
8. Neoware NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
9. PECO Energy
10. QVC NOT LOCATED IN CITY OF PHILADELPHIA

List of companies based in the Philadelphia area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously I've said several times that Pittsburgh's city proper job density is impressive. Also, Pittsburgh's numbers of Fortune 500 companies is impressive... but Philadelphia blows Pittsburgh out of the water in Fortune 1000's.

Also, did you really just say Pittsburgh metro is catching Philadelphia metro in GDP output? Lol not even close.

In millions
Philadelphia: $353,323
Pittsburgh: $117,845
http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0213.xls

If you call that close than okay...
Most of you're list is BS and irrelevant to the Debate, and as usual you (in your homeristic way) make my case for me....as I have been saying all along....Just as your pathetic so-called attempt to Prop-up Philadelphia backs my claims up even more.

The Jobs and Corporate Wealth in Philadelphia is overwhelming Sprawled towards its suburbs and MSA...NOT THE CITY!!!!

Pittsburgh is the Polar Opposite, the majority of Jobs and GDP of the Pittsburgh region come from Inside the City Proper. Pittsburgh is set up more like NYC in this regards.

This is how you (if intellectual enough) can produce (along with other metrics) its safe enough to say when looking exclusively at the City Propers themselves - Pittsburgh out produces Philadelphia.

Fact Philadelphia is the 6th Largest Impoverished City in the nation, a fact you like to keep glossing over....Its a problem, Philadelphia region as all this wealth and power, yet NONE of it gets into the City Limits.

I keep saying this but somehow it doesn't penetrate that Philadelphia Homer Bubble you live in. My arguement was NEVER! about the Metro Regions as whole, because there is no debating it. This was purely City vs City.

Philadelphia has its pluses, but its nowhere near the "Streets Paved in GOLD" fallacy you try to pullover on people. And that what Pisses me off about your deep homerism.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
I'm trying to figure out why you used the graphic below to supposedly bolster your argument. You do realise that the gap between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh increased during the time period you've inlcluded, don't you? The numbers are in the table. It's not as though the math is difficult.
Apparently this is over your head....So I'll go slow...

The Chart Shows GDP per capita based on Metro Region - NOT CITY, Ok got it!

What the chart Shows is Pittsburgh Metro is NOT far behind Philadelphia Metro in GDP per capita.

We've already concluded (just look at my follow up to "Summers" BS list of companies used as a failed way of intimidation) that Pittsburgh and Philadelphia pulse of economies are polar opposites in that Pittsburgh's GDP is more centralized in the City Proper while Philadelphia's is overwhelmingly skewed towards it's Suburbs and outlying MSA (i.e NJ and DE)

The argument was about City producing GDP...Not Metro Area... When you look at the graph and compare it to the Polar opposite metric of where the GDP is coming from in each region.

It clearly backs up my claims. the City of Pittsburgh produces near equal to if not more GDP than the City of Philadelphia.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
you simply do not know what you are talking about. John Street was the antithesis of the CC mayor. I could buy the argument that rendell focused on CC but your viewpoint is decidedly 1990's (perhaps that's when you lived in Philly). Street was the reaction against it including his poorly executed neighborhood transformation initiative that largely failed at the time but was obviously not the brainchild of a cc mayor.
John F. Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"measly parks and playgrounds" are the lifeblood of healthy city neighborhoods. the problem is you are confusing failed economic ideals (so called revitalization projects) with someone being a center city mayor. Pittsburgh isn't more neighborhood oriented, it's simply a better place to do business and to open businesses in neighborhoods. Job growth in Philadelphia has been stagnant even in center city for the last decade and it was in decline before that(university city has been the exception). in other words, Philadelphia isn't all about center city but like Pittsburgh's business friendly tax and regulatory scheme (at least relative to Philly) helps raise all boats, Philly's awful tax and regulatory scheme helps to sink all boats and nowhere is that felt more than in neighborhoods that don't have the advantage of being the historic downtown. simply dumping money into places doesn't make anyone more or less pro neighborhood nor does it guarantee neighborhoods will succeed.
I know exactly what I'm talking about....You argument is about John Street based on Paper and Campaigning.

I'm talking about what the man actually did or didn't accomplish, and yes it was the Street administration when I resided in Philadelphia.

The main accomplished NOTHING for the neighborhoods, his sole focus wound up being Center City, regardless if you think that was pathetic in its own right.

And from what I can tell Nutter is pretty much in the same boat.. It's all about Center City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
in fact, wasn't it Pittsburgh's spendthrift ways that led to 2004? and look at the success of market sq, hardly a big project, but small parks projects can have outsized impacts.
But where is MSQ located "Downtown" yet not some grand project. I will admit Pittsburgh had its "It's all about Downtown" mayor too, in Tom Murphy. But it was City Council that kept him from going off the deep end and kept a focus on Neighborhoods as well as Downtown. Which Pittsburgh has struck in its current day a pretty good balance of political attention towards both.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Philadelphia2035

According to the link you posted... Pittsburgh has 8... Philadelphia has 12 fortune 500s

You wanna compare Fortune 1000s?

Fortune 1000:

Pittsburgh: 12 total
1. UPMC
2. Alcoa
3. CONSOL Energy
4. Duquesne Lights
5. EQT
6. Highmark
7. Matthews International Corp.
8. PNC
9. Dick's Sporting Goods
10. PPG
11. Reed Smith
12. Heinz
Fortune 1000 Companies Headquarted In Pittsburgh « Photo Galleries « CBS Pittsburgh

Philadelphia: 31 total
1. Airgas
2. AmerisourceBergen
3. Ametek
4. Aramark
5. Burlington Coat Factory
6. Campbell Soup Company
7. Carpenter
8. Cephalon
9. Cigna
10. Charming Shoppes
11. Comcast
12. Crown Holdings
13. DuPont
14. Endo Pharmaceuticals
15. FMC
16. Interdigital
17. Lincoln National Corporation
18. Penn National Gaming
19. Pep Boys
20. Radian Group
21. Sunoco
22. Sungard
23. Teleflex
24. Toll Brothers
25. UGI
26. Unisys
27. Universal Health Systems
28. Urban Outfitters
29. Vishay Intertechnology
30. VWR International
31. West Pharmaceutical Services
List of companies based in the Philadelphia area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Global Fortune 500 companies with US Headquarters in city:

Philadelphia: 4 total
1. AstraZeneca
2. HSBC Bank USA
3. ING Direct
4. Seimans Healthcare

US Fortune 1000 with divisions in city:

Philadelphia: 10 total
1. Acme
2. Boeing Rotorcraft
3. Centocor
4. Delmarva Power
5. Keystone Helicopter
6. MBNA
7. McNeil Laboratories
8. Neoware
9. PECO Energy
10. QVC

Seriously I've said several times that Pittsburgh's city proper job density is impressive. Also, Pittsburgh's numbers of Fortune 500 companies is impressive... but Philadelphia blows Pittsburgh out of the water in Fortune 1000's.

Also, did you really just say Pittsburgh metro is catching Philadelphia metro in GDP output? Lol not even close.

In millions
Philadelphia: $353,323
Pittsburgh: $117,845
http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0213.xls

If you call that close than okay...
As was just stated, many of the Philly metro companies aren't even in PA so their GDP and tax impact in PA and the city of Philly is rather small.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Why are you separating the city proper from the metro like it can be done? The suburbs feed off of the city, and visa versa. Neither would survive without the other. You think when Endo Pharmaceuticals meets with clients they say, "we're based in Chadds Ford"? No, they say "we're in the Philadelphia area."

Sunoco is still based in Philadelphia. Comcast owns NBC, but NBC is still BASED in NYC. And no, Comcast won't be moving to NYC. If they wanted to they would've done so already.

I don't know why I even bother to argue with you.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

It clearly backs up my claims. the City of Pittsburgh produces near equal to if not more GDP than the City of Philadelphia.
No. Again. It's not even close. Please tell me how Pittsburgh's 24,000 firms in the city proper produces nearly lose to the same GDP as 88,000 firms in the Philadelphia city proper. I know it's hard for you to think logically but please do so just for one moment so I can continue to laugh at you.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
As was just stated, many of the Philly metro companies aren't even in PA so their GDP and tax impact in PA and the city of Philly is rather small.
Most of the Philly metro companies aren't even in PA? Uhhh... no. The largest business districts are in PA aside from Wilmington and Cherry Hill. I would say probably 70% of the Philly metro companies are in PA.

So according to you Philadelphia can no longer claim companies based in it's metro? Huh... okay. You can exclude whatever companies you want...Philly still produces a larger GDP than Pittsburgh.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Most of the Philly metro companies aren't even in PA? Uhhh... no. The largest business districts are in PA aside from Wilmington and Cherry Hill. I would say probably 70% of the Philly metro companies are in PA.

So according to you Philadelphia can no longer claim companies based in it's metro? Huh... okay. You can exclude whatever companies you want...Philly still produces a larger GDP than Pittsburgh.
I think you need to learn to read. I said MANY NOT MOST. And I didn't even make a mention of Pittsburgh having a higher GDP than Philly which I know is not true so get over the constant need for Philly boosting even when nothing I said was a bash to the city.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
No. Again. It's not even close. Please tell me how Pittsburgh's 24,000 firms in the city proper produces nearly lose to the same GDP as 88,000 firms in the Philadelphia city proper. I know it's hard for you to think logically but please do so just for one moment so I can continue to laugh at you.
You tell me how is Pittsburgh's GDP per capita so close to Philadelphia's with 88K vs 24K so-called firms.....

Not to mention those 88K is very vague and tells us pretty much nothing at all.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
The one thing I saw that I found just as dumb as the Pittsburgh tries to be like West Virginia thing was "Pittsburgh has 446 bridges vs. 19 in Philly" if anything, that gives Pittsburgh a much better selling point especially with some of the architecture of the bridges here.
theyre both pretty dumb lists put out there the day of the flyers pens game. one would hope no one tool them seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh