Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I've lived in Philadelphia my whole life and while I do love it here, I will never gloss over some of its bad features. We have a terrible violent crime rate and also taxes are a problem as are the public schools. Yes there are many good neighborhoods and I happen to live in one. But so much of the city is becoming ghetto-ized.
sounds a bit alarmist, one could easily argue that some of the city is becoming less ghettoized. the schools, while bad, are better than they used to be. there are even decent elementary schools. crime, while bad, is lower than it used to be. don't let the spiking homicide rate fool you, violent crime is stil down. it's more than just "greater center city." the neighborhoods surrounding the universities are also improving. there are parts of north philly around temple that were completely empty just ten years ago (think the hill district without that appallachian feel) that have begun filling up. you should know that the city is in the midst of a building boom it hasn't seen in decades despite the exorbitantly high cost of construction. there's also the northwest, over the years manayunk has continued to expand, east falls has improved, and it's leaking into north philly. the northeast hasn't collapsed.
Pittsburgh obviously has much fewer problems with crime and far more jobs per capita in the city proper.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I rarely use the word "bud", more than likely it's "pal". As is in, Hey, Pal, let's to to Primanti's n'at.

Maybe bud is used more in Philly.

Never forget one time on vacation in Mexico. Sitting there minding my business when a Big Old Texan came up to me and said, "Hey, Slick, how many pesos to a dollar?". Is Slick common in Texas?
My dad, Beaver Falls born, bred and died, used to say "Jack", as in "fillerup, Jack".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Haha yeah I don't really have a Philly accent at all. Even though I live in Philadelphia now, I'm from Bucks County and grew up middle class. Every once in a while it will shine through though

"What you gonna do today?"
"Where you gonna be at?"

I always catch myself saying crap like that lol and try to correct it. Why as Philadelphian's do we insist on putting "at" where it doesn't belong? Haha.
LOL! I read a little ditty about Pittsburgh's dropping of "to be" that said in Pittsburgh, Hamlet would have said "or not", b/c Pittsburghers don't say "to be" as in "the car needs (to be) washed", etc. I don't do that any more, but I have to think about it every time.

"At" where it doesn't belong is also a midwestern thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Politics (Pittsburgh's politics unified towards the city as a whole, Philadelphia no neighborhood comes before Center City and no neighborhood gets as close to amount of city government attention that Center City does....I really hate this about Philly. Not to mention tax systems).
Is this the CD "joke of the day" or something?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,941 times
How about "bacouz" (pronounced buh-COWS), meaning bathroom? I don't even know if it has a spelling. Is that an old Pittsburgh/Western PA thing? I don't know that I've ever heard my grandma call it anything other than that.

I can't find anything about it on the internet, but apparently it's not a real word, just a play on the way Italians would say "back house" back in the day. . .

Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212
Politics (Pittsburgh's politics unified towards the city as a whole, Philadelphia no neighborhood comes before Center City and no neighborhood gets as close to amount of city government attention that Center City does....I really hate this about Philly. Not to mention tax systems).
Is this the CD "joke of the day" or something?
Such cluess-ness, UGH!

unlike Philadelphia, Pittsburgh's political attentions are focused on more than just its core CBD...... If fact many of Pittsburgh neighborhoods are receiving plenty of political attention from the city. Which is why I said "the City as a WHOLE!"

EL
Northside
L'ville
Garfield
Bloomfield
South Side
Oakland
The Strip
Mt Washington
The Hill
Homewood
West End (Finally!)

in Philly if it aint "Center City", City Hall couldn't give a Flying F*CK! It was true with the John Street Admin, and same is true for Michael Nutter.

In Philadelphia with certain people there are 2 Philly's...There's Center City where many people wish that's all there was of Philadelphia. And there Everywhere else, that's the red head stepchild of the city that "Certain Homers" wish to forget about and cast-off like it's not the city too. Think of it like 2 NYC's there's Manhattan (that the snobbs elitist try to claim is the "True NYC") and there are Boroughs (Not "True NYC")

Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Such cluess-ness, UGH!

unlike Philadelphia, Pittsburgh's political attentions are focused on more than just its core CBD...... If fact many of Pittsburgh neighborhoods are receiving plenty of political attention from the city. Which is why I said "the City as a WHOLE!"

EL
Northside
L'ville
Garfield
Bloomfield
South Side
Oakland
The Strip
Mt Washington
The Hill
Homewood
West End (Finally!)

in Philly if it aint "Center City", City Hall couldn't give a Flying F*CK! It was true with the John Street Admin, and same is true for Michael Nutter.

In Philadelphia with certain people there are 2 Philly's...There's Center City where many people wish that's all there was of Philadelphia. And there Everywhere else, that's the red head stepchild of the city that "Certain Homers" wish to forget about and cast-off like it's not the city too. Think of it like 2 NYC's there's Manhattan (that the snobbs elitist try to claim is the "True NYC") and there are Boroughs (Not "True NYC")
this is largely incorrect. John Street, the self annointed neighborhood mayor, did little for center city nor did he particularly care for it. you simply listed neighborhoods in pittsburgh, that's not exactly a good argument. Mayor nutter has been investing in neighborhood parks, neighborhood commercial corridors, and the city council is made up largely of neighborhood people. there just isn't any truth to the statement. sure, center city has more political muscle, but it's not like downtown has none. much of the extra services in cc are paid for by the center city district not the city itself, and there's an extra fee to fund it paid only by center city property owners. downtown partnership knows all about it and has modeled its annual report after the CCD's. every city is a city of neighborhoods it's nothing special.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Quote:
What I actually said wise guy was most neighborhoods outside of The Greater Center City area are Ghetto....and that is true of Philly it has a large number of Ghettos and impoverished neighborhoods. Philadelphia is one of the Poorest cities in the country..A fact you cannot deny.

2, city of Pittsburgh has the sixth highest Job density in the country even higher than Philadelphia.

Philadelphia GDP and Jobs is largely sprawled into its suburbs as well as it Wealth, NOT the city. Within a few years Its projected that Pittsburgh will be on par with Philadelphia in median incomes.

I don't blow anything out of proportion, but I do tire of your homer misrepresentation that Philly is some sort of economic overachieving oasis compare to the burgh. I love how I supposedly "just says things that are obviously extremely exaggerated towards her bias for Pittsburgh", that a "Pot meets Kettle" comment if I've ever seen one right there....LMAO
Tell me how 24,000 firms in Pittsburgh produces anywhere close to the GDP of 88,000 firms in Philadelphia? Pittsburgh won't come close EVER. Pittsburgh would have to quadruple the amount of jobs in the city proper to get anywhere close to the GDP produced by Philadelphia. You also forget we have the largest fresh water port in the country and one of the largest international airports in the country as well as one of the best public transit systems in the country. ALL Things Pittsburgh would have to DRASTICALLY upgrade in order to handle quadruple the amount of jobs in the city proper. I even said in my last post that Pittsburgh has a high job density in city proper did I not? I don't think there is any way possible to fit 88,000 firms in 55 square miles. Philadelphia is one of the poorest city propers in the country, correct... but that doesn't mean there are NO upper or middle class citizens in the city like you would have people believe.... and you saying everything outside of the greater Center City area is poor is just laughable. What about the Northeast? Northwest? City Ave corridor? The Oak Lanes? South Philadelphia? University City and the rest of the surrounding West Philadelphia area? The Middle class sections of Southwest Philadelphia? Also, Philadelphia Metro is one of the wealthiest in the country.... Pittsburgh is nowhere close.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I
Pittsburgh city proper has more Fortune 500 companies than Philadelphia city proper.. but Philadelphia metro has more Fortune 500 companies than Pittsburgh metro.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Such cluess-ness, UGH!

EL
Northside
L'ville
Garfield
Bloomfield
South Side
Oakland
The Strip
Mt Washington
The Hill
Homewood
West End (Finally!)

Again... you have no idea what you are talking about. I guess you haven't heard of Nutter's Philadelphia 2035 plan?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Tell me how 24,000 firms in Pittsburgh produces anywhere close to the GDP of 88,000 firms in Philadelphia? Pittsburgh won't come close EVER. Pittsburgh would have to quadruple the amount of jobs in the city proper to get anywhere close to the GDP produced by Philadelphia. You also forget we have the largest fresh water port in the country and one of the largest international airports in the country as well as one of the best public transit systems in the country. ALL Things Pittsburgh would have to DRASTICALLY upgrade in order to handle quadruple the amount of jobs in the city proper. I even said in my last post that Pittsburgh has a high job density in city proper did I not? I don't think there is any way possible to fit 88,000 firms in 55 square miles. Philadelphia is one of the poorest city propers in the country, correct... but that doesn't mean there are NO upper or middle class citizens in the city like you would have people believe.... and you saying everything outside of the greater Center City area is poor is just laughable. What about the Northeast? Northwest? City Ave corridor? The Oak Lanes? South Philadelphia? University City and the rest of the surrounding West Philadelphia area? The Middle class sections of Southwest Philadelphia? Also, Philadelphia Metro is one of the wealthiest in the country.... Pittsburgh is nowhere close.
UGH!.....Look at this little ol' Pittsburgh aint that far behind Philadelphia and this is on Metro level and we know that the majority of Philadelphia's GDP comes from its suburbs and not the city. Where Pittsburgh is the stark opposite, majority of Pittsburgh's GDP comes from within the city proper.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Again... you have no idea what you are talking about. I guess you haven't heard of Nutter's Philadelphia 2035 plan?
Nope damn sure haven't, and just how many NON-Center City Neighborhoods his is planning to invest some major economic dollars back into and I'm not talking about "Parks, and Playgrounds"? Send me the details please

Quote:
Pittsburgh city proper has more Fortune 500 companies than Philadelphia city proper.. but Philadelphia metro has more Fortune 500 companies than Pittsburgh metro.
Really I count 9 for both Metro's within PA....... The Philly Metro outside of PA really doesn't really pump anything back into the city Philadelphia. Companies in NJ, DE, and MD contribute almost nothing as far as GDP to the City itself.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...states/PA.html

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 02-22-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh