Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
this seems pretty much it...except I don't see there being much chaos because subways run later. it might be bad for the cab business but that's about it. want chaos? carson st, 230 am.
If the subways ran until 2:30 am, you'd have all kinds of drunken nonsense, and I don't think you need me to tell you that drunk people do incredibly stupid and dangerous things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Needing to be with a group of people to be safe doesn't define safe for me.
That's the reality of living in the city. I grew up in the Philly suburbs, so my first couple years in Pittsburgh basically served as my "urban training wheels." Going places in groups is a basic precaution I try to take after dark and it's something I've been doing since I was a Pitt freshman. I wouldn't take a lot of PAT buses alone after midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Really? I mean I never take the MFL passed ~34th and never past Spring Garden in the other direction but those subway stations are spotless! Especially the ones in Center City.
The stations aren't terrible, but the stairwells in and out and passage ways in between are often dank, dirty, and stinking with urine. It doesn't matter that much to me because I don't spend my time hanging out in the nether regions of the subway system. But it does exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. = 246 miles.

Philadelphia to Washington D.C. = 139 miles.

Source; Google Maps
Keep in mind that you usually don't hit a ton of traffic coming in on 70. 95 is much more of a flustercluck. Ergo, Pittsburgh to DC = 4 hours; Philly to DC usually = 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
SO............Whachu saying? If you live above 40th or above Girard on the EL and above Columbia/C.B. Moore then a person won't be able to make it home? Wow? That's a sizable slice of area and city residents.
Um, no? I'm saying that after those spots, the subway gets proportionally dicier. Someone who lives in those areas is not only aware of that fact, but also probably possesses the additional necessary street smarts to navigate it safely. But sadly, yes, a lot of Philly is quite dangerous. Hopefully that will ameliorate as the city continues to rise in stature.

Quote:
Bud?

That's one difference I've noticed between Pittsburghers and Philadelphians.

Pittsburghers don't typically say "bud" and "buddy."

I've noticed it's very common in the Philadelphia forum, especially in a condescending context.
Interesting observation. I've never noticed that before, but you're probably right. Don't imply though that Pittsburghers don't have their fair share of silly words and phrases.

One more thing: I understand it's rare for people to like both cities equally like me (and I assume blackbeauty), but can people try taking this discussion a little less personally and/or not mindlessly boost one in favor of bashing the other?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
If the subways ran until 2:30 am, you'd have all kinds of drunken nonsense, and I don't think you need me to tell you that drunk people do incredibly stupid and dangerous things.
so what? better they do it on a subway than driving a car. there's late night regional rail service and there should be late night subway service. it's not like finding a cab on carson st sidestepping urinators, vomiters, and drunken arguments trying to catch the one cab on the whole st

Old 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Interesting observation. I've never noticed that before, but you're probably right. Don't imply though that Pittsburghers don't have their fair share of silly words and phrases.
We sure do have silly words and phrases; however, "bud" and "buddy" is being used condescendingly to intimidate, to bully. I'm tying to think of something comparable used by Pittsburghers. We have "jagoff," but that's not used in a condescending manner. Hmmmmmm........

Old 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,477 times
The Pittsburgh "10 Reasons" is stereotypical Yinzer garbage... the Philadelphia counterpart required even less brainpower to compose.

Both are great cities, and Pennsylvania is lucky to have both. These articles are just the dumb rantings of Penn State students... but I'm sure they will provide great fodder for some on City-Data.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
so what? better they do it on a subway than driving a car. there's late night regional rail service and there should be late night subway service. it's not like finding a cab on carson st sidestepping urinators, vomiters, and drunken arguments trying to catch the one cab on the whole st
I vehemently disagree. If a taxi cab erupts in violence, it's contained to the few people in the cab. If a subway car riots, you're putting tons of people in danger. Cram a bunch of drunken morons in the subway/trolley stations and you're asking for trouble. The regional rail system does a much better job dispersing people. Even within Suburban/Market East Stations, there are multiple platforms preventing the formation of a huge sea of bodies. Things might be different if Philly had a comprehensive subway system ala NYC or DC.

Quote:
We sure do have silly words and phrases; however, "bud" and "buddy" is being used condescendingly to intimidate, to bully. I'm tying to think of something comparable used by Pittsburghers. We have jagoff, but that's not used in a condescending manner. Hmmmmmm........
Are you implying that Pittsburghers don't condescend to or try and bully others? "Bud" and "buddy" may not be your key words and phrases, but I've seen plenty of hostility and aggression in the 'Burgh. I agree that as far as outward appearances go, Philadelphians are less friendly, but when you get to know individuals on a day to day basis, you see it's more indicative of someone being in a hurry/not interested in engaging with strangers on the street (similar, though less severe, to what you'd see in NYC). Pittsburghers more easily let their guard down/are open to talking to people they don't know, which, don't get me wrong, is a great thing. But I've found it doesn't make for much of a difference once you sit down and get to know a person.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-21-2013 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Are you implying that Pittsburghers don't condescend to or try and bully others? "Bud" and "buddy" may not be your key words and phrases, but I've seen plenty of hostility and aggression in the 'Burgh. I agree that as far as outward appearances go, Philadelphians are less friendly, but when you get to know individuals on a day to day basis, you see it's more indicative of someone being in a hurry/not interested in engaging with strangers on the street (similar, though less severe, to what you'd see in NYC). Pittsburghers more easily let their guard down/are open to talking to people they don't know, which, don't get me wrong, is a great thing. But I've found it doesn't make for much of a difference once you sit down and get to know a person.
I think Pittsburghers are more direct, less passive aggressive. If Pittsburghers have a problem with you, most are going to outright tell you. When a Pittsburgher says "bud" or "buddy," they typically are referring to an actual friend, a type of beer, or Copanut joking around. My observation had nothing to do with how easy or hard it is to make friends in either city.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,705 times
Quote:
carson st, 230 am.
Carson Street has its version of drunken chaos in the wee hours in Philly. Main Street in Manayunk and the bars in Old City.

Still I would rather have drunks carousing (provided they aren't vandalizing and wrecking property) than violent crime.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
The stations aren't terrible, but the stairwells in and out and passage ways in between are often dank, dirty, and stinking with urine. It doesn't matter that much to me because I don't spend my time hanging out in the nether regions of the subway system. But it does exist.
Whoops. Maybe I should cut back on the drinking

Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Pittsburghers don't typically say "bud" and "buddy."
Are you kidding? If I had a dollar for every time someone called me "bud," I could take a couple of you out for a nice dinner. You may not hear it because you're a woman.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Not misinformed at all...plus i've backup my assertions which you've chosen to ignore....

Pittsburgh violent crime level is not on the level of Philadelphia, sorry.

I have to ask are you just totally a Philadelphia Homer, can you view any criticism of Philly objectively? I watch you in several threads on City Data and your constant thread hi-jacking with NON-STOP Philadelphia cheer-leading is obnoxious to say the least.

You and Rainrock are the biggest Philadelphia Homers on City Data, without an once of objectivity. Even KidPhilly has brought it down a couple of pegs.
Uhmmm say what? So your constant bashing of Philadelphia should just be accepted? We shouldn't say anything about it? You never back up any assertions. Ever. No links. Nothing. You don't have facts, you just ramble on. The homeless man I just saw on the street makes more sense than you. You pettifog everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh