Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 PM

9,329 posts, read 13,002,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think Pittsburghers are more direct, less passive aggressive. If Pittsburghers have a problem with you, most are going to outright tell you. When a Pittsburgher says "bud" or "buddy," they typically are referring to an actual friend, a type of beer, or Copanut joking around. My observation had nothing to do with how easy or hard it is to make friends in either city.
My experience has been the exact opposite. Philadelphians are often direct to a fault. Most of the Pittsburghers I know are more firmly in the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" camp, although they certainly have nothing on practitioners of "Minnesota nice." Message board politics is a bit different for obvious reasons. The real-world police won't arrest someone for dropping the f-bomb or derailing a conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Uhmmm say what? So your constant bashing of Philadelphia should just be accepted? We shouldn't say anything about it? You never back up any assertions. Ever. No links. Nothing. You don't have facts, you just ramble on. The homeless man I just saw on the street makes more sense than you. You pettifog everything.
Regardless of the relevancy (or lack thereof) of her arguments, I never took BB to be a Philly basher at all. In fact, quite the opposite.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Regardless of the relevancy (or lack thereof) of her arguments, I never took BB to be a Philly basher at all. In fact, quite the opposite.
Not a basher... but she tends to blow every scenario out of proportion... like idk... suggesting that every area outside of Philadelphia is a ghetto? Yep she said that once. That the city of Pittsburgh produces a higher GDP than the city of Philadelphia? Yep she said that too. She just says things that are obviously extremely exaggerated towards her bias for Pittsburgh.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Are you kidding? If I had a dollar for every time someone called me "bud," I could take a couple of you out for a nice dinner. You may not hear it because you're a woman.
Or maybe it's a generational or social class difference. One thing is for sure, it's more common the Philadelphia forum than the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Not a basher... but she tends to blow every scenario out of proportion... like idk... suggesting that every area outside of Philadelphia is a ghetto? Yep she said that once. That the city of Pittsburgh produces a higher GDP than the city of Philadelphia? Yep she said that too. She just says things that are obviously extremely exaggerated towards her bias for Pittsburgh.
That goes to the relevancy part. Some of it is based on a dated perception of the city. Others, like the GDP comment, are actually true if you compare cities proper. But I don't think she's any more biased than you are, nor is bias necessarily a terrible thing. We're all biased in some way or another, myself most certainly included.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
That goes to the relevancy part. Some of it is based on a dated perception of the city. Others, like the GDP comment, are actually true if you compare cities proper. But I don't think she's any more biased than you are, nor is bias necessarily a terrible thing. We're all biased in some way or another, myself most certainly included.
Pittsburgh city proper does not produce a higher GDP than Philadelphia city proper.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM

Who is BB?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Pittsburgh city proper does not produce a higher GDP than Philadelphia city proper.
It doesn't? I thought it was close, but the 'Burgh edged us out given our comparative multitude of corporate centers and office parks in the PA and Jersey suburbs. Do you have a source on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Who is BB?
blackbeauty

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
There are 24,605 total firms in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

There are 88,140 total firms in Philadelphia
Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Tell me how Pittsburgh produces more GDP when Philadelphia has 4 times the amount of firms within the city proper? Hmmm...

Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
blackbeauty

Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It doesn't? I thought it was close, but the 'Burgh edged us out given our comparative multitude of corporate centers and office parks in the PA and Jersey suburbs. Do you have a source on that?

blackbeauty
There is no source anywhere that states individual city proper GDP output... which means she just made it up. There is no possible way that 24,000 firms can produce more GDP than 88,000... while I will agree that Pittsburgh has a better job market per capita in the city proper, Philadelphia has a MUCH larger raw number of jobs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh