Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 03:32 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Since leaving, I've lived in Columbus, Boston, Dallas, and now Charlotte. Litter is worse in Pittsburgh than all of these places.
Some would argue only out of towners litter the parking lots at a KC concert, but there is definitely a lot of litter on a daily basis in the city. Not sure if they can't keep up with cleaning it or if they just let it go until they decide to clean it up.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-26-2016 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Don't worry. You'll soon find some people on here willing to make excuses for the types of people who litter.
Not me this time. I think the fine for littering should be extreme. I am always picking up trash on my way to the bus each morning and on my way home. On Brookline Blvd it seems like people clean out their cars while parked, and then drive off leaving piles of trash. It’s fast food and junk food wrappers most of the time. What blows my mind is the people that don’t even pick the litter out of their own front yards, but just walk past it to their front doors.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Not me this time. I think the fine for littering should be extreme. I am always picking up trash on my way to the bus each morning and on my way home. On Brookline Blvd it seems like people clean out their cars while parked, and then drive off leaving piles of trash. It’s fast food and junk food wrappers most of the time. What blows my mind is the people that don’t even pick the litter out of their own front yards, but just walk past it to their front doors.
I walk down through the Strip daily via Penn Avenue from 28th Street to Downtown. Talk about litter everywhere!

Old 07-26-2016, 08:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Litter is one of my pet peeves, just don't understand low lifes that can't find a trash bin. Hate to see what their home looks like.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I agree with this. Sidewalks are terrible in many areas & litter has to be among the worst in US cities; luckily the spring & summer green growth manages to hide much of it.
That's an interesting indictment. Care to share anything besides anecdotal evidence to back up such a bold claim?

Full disclosure: I don't believe you'll find anything which suggests that Pittsburgh is the worst city in PA when it comes to litter, let along being among the nation's leaders.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,017 times
The two cities I've been in which are also litter-strewn are Philly and Baltimore (in particular garbage in the harbor). I think the worst cities are in the Northeast and Rust Belt. No data seems to exist - just based on my experience. I travel a lot.
Midwestern, Southern and Western cities are cleaner - even Chicago.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM

18 posts, read 13,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
That's an interesting indictment. Care to share anything besides anecdotal evidence to back up such a bold claim?

Full disclosure: I don't believe you'll find anything which suggests that Pittsburgh is the worst city in PA when it comes to litter, let along being among the nation's leaders.

Here's what I found (from the dailymail.co.uk):

TOP 10 DIRTIEST U.S. CITIES
1. New Orleans
2. Philadelphia
3. Los Angeles
4. Memphis
5. New York
6. Baltimore
7. Las vegas
8. Miami
9. Atlanta
10. Houston

Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
My two eyes are all I need to notice more litter here than other cities I've visited.
Besides 'has to be' is not a very bold claim at all & most certainly one of opinion.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
The two cities I've been in which are also litter-strewn are Philly and Baltimore (in particular garbage in the harbor). I think the worst cities are in the Northeast and Rust Belt. No data seems to exist - just based on my experience. I travel a lot.
Midwestern, Southern and Western cities are cleaner - even Chicago.
It may have to do with dense pedestrian friendly older cities. These cities tend to have a mix of people on the streets with public transportation. You don't many people walking the inner city streets of Columbus or Charlotte outside of downtown.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:39 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
It may have to do with dense pedestrian friendly older cities. These cities tend to have a mix of people on the streets with public transportation. You don't many people walking the inner city streets of Columbus or Charlotte outside of downtown.
That's a good point. Plus cities in other regions have newer, cleaner looking infrastructure and don't have a history of heavy industry so air pollution has not built up a layer of grime on sidewalks and other infrastructure over years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh