Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,893,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
That mindset is everywhere here, I would like to know why so many Old Time Pittsburghers are adverse to Change, what are they so afraid of, how did it become like this.
No, I see it more with natives. Even young natives are as stubborn as the old timers. Transplants are the ones who want the change the most. You get the 20-30 somethings who grew up here and are stuck in their cliques and daily routines. They like Pittsburgh the way it is. Transplants are the ones who don't care about the history and want to move the city forward. We want new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Is all this about the bus system? Exiting from the front door is actually that big of an issue? Is that the change we are dying for? My goodness, maybe I am too laid back, but these issues are an annoyance in that moment at best, but then once it’s over my life actually continues without harm.

Does anyone ever stop and consider why this area is like it is? It’s the people. The people some love to hate are the very people that gave you these things that you moved here for. People want the charms of Pittsburgh...the slower pace, the affordability, the neighborhoods, but please don’t ask them to be around Pittsburghers because that is just too much to bear.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Is all this about the bus system? Exiting from the front door is actually that big of an issue? Is that the change we are dying for? My goodness, maybe I am too laid back, but these issues are an annoyance in that moment at best, but then once it’s over my life actually continues without harm.

Does anyone ever stop and consider why this area is like it is? It’s the people. The people some love to hate are the very people that gave you these things that you moved here for. People want the charms of Pittsburgh...the slower pace, the affordability, the neighborhoods, but please don’t ask them to be around Pittsburghers because that is just too much to bear.
You mean when this area was in Steep Dark Decline for 30years? Why Government sucked so much here? Why this area got its ass handed it to when it refused to evolve out of being a one industry town, and when that one industry went belly up so did the town? You mean the area that pretty much lost its Public Transportation completely to a corrupt administration. You mean back to a time when Pittsburgh was barely mentioned on the Weather Channel, let alone making any national publication or media.

No No, No need to change, Pittsburgh was doing just fine, we all loved the death spiral this city was in. Let's all continue living in the 80's, Let's go back. Get Peduto and Fitzgerald outta here, bring back those 3 crooked county commissioners we had to endure in the 90's.

Let's all just GO BACK to make the Yinzers happy. Trump promises to bring back the Mills.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:57 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yes, these are your Yinzers. That mindset is everywhere here, I would like to know why so many Old Time Pittsburghers are adverse to Change, what are they so afraid of, how did it become like this. Was its the Steel Collapse and that everyone who's lived through it here is just too scared that the sky will fall if ways of doing things should change?

I mean every city has people who are resistant to change, evolution. But the burgh has an overwhelming number of people with this mindset, which is why I coin the term "Yinzer" towards them, its such a large base of people and that fit squarely into this demographic box.

Pittsburgh is practically fighting with itself right now, as the Yinzer culture is being replaced by Young Progressive Grass Roots, its one I'm betting the Progressives will win over time. Its fascinating to watch Old Pittsburgh fight New Pittsburgh in every faucet here, from Transportation, to Government, to Banking, to Grocery Shopping. It's a full on Culture War happening right before our eyes.

I wonder if it will be just as hard to change a place like Detroit, going through its own Steel Collapse right now, but will they come out of it quicker than Pittsburgh did, if Detroit proves to be more willing to adapt to a changing society and economics?

There are people in every city that are resistant to change, but in Pittsburgh they control the power structure that guides the city I think that is the key issue...To be fair, if you compare similiar type rust-belt citiesCleveland and Cinci...They may be resistant to change too but that resistance does not have COMPLETE control of the power structure of those cities.

This issue goes back way before the Steel Collapse...This area of the country is isolated and things evolved in an autonomous manner which dictated social custom (Pitts burghers don't cross bridges joke) Look at the river towns they all have their OWN little governments right next door. There was never a constant influx of new people and ideas say like on the East Coast. Or a critical mass of people to influence a big social change..After the Eastern European immigration things stopped. Because of isolation and lack of a big stream of people, when national trends did reach Pittsburgh they were late.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:04 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
I am not asking to go backwards, but thanks for the history lesson. I was unaware that the amount of coverage on the Weather Channel was a direct reflection of anything other than the area not having any dramatic weather.

All I am saying is that there is no need sound like a jerk when referring to these people that haven’t yet caught on to the mindset and lifestyle of the ultra progressives moving here from the coasts. It’s hard to give a crap about how you exit a bus when you struggle with paying the bills. These things can be changed without sounding like you do. I am extremely liberal and progressive but you are placing the blame on a segment of citizens, who have limited choices and make lifestyle decisions based on needs and not wants. It is extremely elitist to walk around telling people you know what is best for them. You are the kind of progressive that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post

There are people in every city that are resistant to change, but in Pittsburgh they control the power structure that guides the city I think that is the key issue...To be fair, if you compare similiar type rust-belt citiesCleveland and Cinci...They may be resistant to change too but that resistance does not have COMPLETE control of the power structure of those cities.

This issue goes back way before the Steel Collapse...This area of the country is isolated and things evolved in an autonomous manner which dictated social custom (Pitts burghers don't cross bridges joke) Look at the river towns they all have their OWN little governments right next door. There was never a constant influx of new people and ideas say like on the East Coast. Or a critical mass of people to influence a big social change..After the Eastern European immigration things stopped. Because of isolation and lack of a big stream of people, when national trends did reach Pittsburgh they were late.
Makes a ton of Sense, thank you.

Quote:
I am not asking to go backwards, but thanks for the history lesson. I was unaware that the amount of coverage on the Weather Channel was a direct reflection of anything other than the area not having any dramatic weather.

All I am saying is that there is no need sound like a jerk when referring to these people that haven’t yet caught on to the mindset and lifestyle of the ultra progressives moving here from the coasts. It’s hard to give a crap about how you exit a bus when you struggle with paying the bills. These things can be changed without sounding like you do. I am extremely liberal and progressive but you are placing the blame on a segment of citizens, who have limited choices and make lifestyle decisions based on needs and not wants. It is extremely elitist to walk around telling people you know what is best for them. You are the kind of progressive that gives the rest of us a bad name.
I love how you personally attack someone for their opinion, because you disagree with the opinion. Well I'm going to continue to tell is like I see it. You have a problem with it, that's your issue, not mine. We're entitled to our opinions, this is mine.

It's NOT just about a friggin bus or paying your bills ... You like other Yinzers on this board, the point just flies completely over your head, and I'm done with you, Goodnight.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 07-25-2016 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 09:28 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,824 times
PAT for example, it has taken PAT to come up with a simple base fare and pay as you enter which most cities have implemented a long time ago but it has taken PAT finally until 2017?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
Quote:

Who is in complete control of the power structure here though?
The politicians who may be resistant to change are marginal figures - Darlene Harris and Sue Means.
The rest of the power structure is dominated by Progressives - Peduto, Fitzgerald, Rudiak, Gilman.
I'd argue the inverse is true and that the City is dominated by elements that advocate change, simply for the sake of change.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:18 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:

This is total nonsense.

The leadership in this City has done remarkably well to start on the strengths of the region, and to move forward. In a couple decades, this has become a very physically active area (compared to the 1990s, at least). It has entertainment, diversions, and an extensive educational system (from trade schools to universities).

It is not the best job market, true (a lot of cities in the Western world have the same regret).

I don't buy a word of this comment above, except that national trends are late to reach Pittsburgh. That is true of many places. And, big whoop, so we got a late start on Pokemon Go. Oh, the horror.

What people are constantly doing is comparing Pittsburgh to their ideal city. If that isn't "in the box" thinking, then what is. A different version of every gripe here is given in Philadelphia forums, NYC's, etc.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:44 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,756 times
Quote:

It is funny how the same people that will get up in arms about generalizing a group of people based on race think nothing of generalizing an entire city.

But yeah, let's blame the natives for a complete outsourcing of an entire industry due to government deregulation. They should be happy to give up their culture for the chance to experience a cold brew down the street and bike to their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh