Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 06:50 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times

Advertisements

My complaint about Pittsburgh is the aging infrastructure which has not kept pace with what this city should be. I don't just mean the functionality of roads and bridges but rather aesthetics. Even in nice neighborhoods, you have sidewalks falling apart with weeds growing in the cracks. Add to this the rampant litter everywhere, it creates an impression of an uncared for city. I grew up here, so I became used to it, but my kids all comment on it when we visit - in particular the bits of paper, garbage and cigarette buts everywhere. One of the worst areas we see this is Oakland. I know it's a student neighborhood, but I've seen many student neighborhoods that are maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
My complaint about Pittsburgh is the aging infrastructure which has not kept pace with what this city should be. I don't just mean the functionality of roads and bridges but rather aesthetics. Even in nice neighborhoods, you have sidewalks falling apart with weeds growing in the cracks. Add to this the rampant litter everywhere, it creates an impression of an uncared for city. I grew up here, so I became used to it, but my kids all comment on it when we visit - in particular the bits of paper, garbage and cigarette buts everywhere. One of the worst areas we see this is Oakland. I know it's a student neighborhood, but I've seen many student neighborhoods that are maintained.
Where did you move to that is so tidy?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 AM

595 posts, read 599,985 times
What pieces of the puzzle does Pittsburgh lack to be a great city?

We need more absurd real estate prices. I mean, we're not as expensive as San Francisco, New York, Seattle, or Boston. How could we ever be cool as those cities without the real estate prices to match?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Sidewalks are terrible in many areas & litter has to be among the worst in US cities; luckily the spring & summer green growth manages to hide much of it.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:00 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I do agree a lot of sidewalks in the city aren't kept in the best condition. This is something I've never really thought about though so hopefully the next time I visit a city I'll remember and try to look at how their sidewalks compare.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Where did you move to that is so tidy?
Since leaving, I've lived in Columbus, Boston, Dallas, and now Charlotte. Litter is worse in Pittsburgh than all of these places.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I agree with this. Sidewalks are terrible in many areas & litter has to be among the worst in US cities; luckily the spring & summer green growth manages to hide much of it.
Is Pennsylvania unique in that a property owner is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk in front of their property? I ask because I truly don't know. Sidewalks here tend to vary in condition massively even within the same block of nicer residential areas.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:12 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Is Pennsylvania unique in that a property owner is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk in front of their property? I ask because I truly don't know. Sidewalks here tend to vary in condition massively even within the same block of nicer residential areas.
I don't know Pennsylvania is unique, but I'm certain homeowner responsibility is a big part of the reason sidewalks in Pittsburgh residential neighborhoods are so bad. I don't know where everyone seeing all this litter, though. There's certainly no more litter in Pittsburgh than there is in Boston.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I don't know Pennsylvania is unique, but I'm certain homeowner responsibility is a big part of the reason sidewalks in Pittsburgh residential neighborhoods are so bad. I don't know where everyone seeing all this litter, though. There's certainly no more litter in Pittsburgh than there is in Boston.
I was commenting to my fiancée last night how much worse the litter is here in Lawerenceville than it was in Shadyside. Just like the sidewalk thing, I think it varies greatly from block to block. Areas with lots of construction seem to be the worst, with a lot of debris from junk food wrappers and fast food bags. The people who sleep in other parts of town at night don't really have a lot of regard, it seems, or else they've got open top dumpsters that the wind messes up.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Since leaving, I've lived in Columbus, Boston, Dallas, and now Charlotte. Litter is worse in Pittsburgh than all of these places.
Don't worry. You'll soon find some people on here willing to make excuses for the types of people who litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh