Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 05:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
We have several Asian and Indian markets and restaurants here in town, Homestead has a PF Changs.

The fact that not many recent immigrants have wanted to move to a city on the economic skids over the past 30 years doesn't mean that people aren't open to diversity.
Somehow, I don't think PF Chang's is authentic Chinese. In fact, my husband went to China and said the food there is drastically different than what one gets in Chinese restaurants in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:31 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRittle123 View Post
more diversity, pittsburgh doesn't have a chinatown or much to offer in terms of asian amenities. It's mostly a black/white city.
Check out Squirrel Hill sometime. I'd be amazed if you're disappointed by the asian food or culture around there. OK, it's not a Chinatown as such, but it's pretty fun.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 PM

416 posts, read 581,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The population of Philadelphia is 1.5 million. The population of Allegheny County is 1.2 mil. When you think of "great schools", do you think of the Philly schools?
Oh, please. The Philadelphia school system is not bad because it is big. NYC, for instance, has Bronx Science, Midwood, Murrrow, Stuyvesant, and LaGuardia. I would gladly send my own kids to these schools over any school, public or private, in the entire Pittsburgh area. You have a suburbanite's view of public education. You clearly did not go to public school in a city.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
Oh, please. The Philadelphia school system is not bad because it is big. NYC, for instance, has Bronx Science, Midwood, Murrrow, Stuyvesant, and LaGuardia. I would gladly send my own kids to these schools over any school, public or private, in the entire Pittsburgh area. You have a suburbanite's view of public education. You clearly did not go to public school in a city.

Most children in NYC don't go to schools like Bronx Science or Stuyvesant, in fact both of those public schools reject 19 out of 20 applicants.

I looked it up, Stuyvesant is a bit segregated- only 1% of the student body is African American. Highly ranked schools in the Pittsburgh area like USC and North Allegheny have a much higher degree of diversity.

I guess its what ever you want in an education.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You clearly have no idea of my background. What comes to mind when you hear the term "Chicago Public Schools"? How about "LA Unified"?

@I_Like_Spam: The demographics of the NA school district (not only the students) shows 92% white; 2% black, 4.7% Asian, the rest "other".
North Allegheny School District, PA (4217010) DP1 General Demographic Characteristics

Old 11-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You clearly have no idea of my background. What comes to mind when you hear the term "Chicago Public Schools"? How about "LA Unified"?
What you clearly hope "comes to mind" when I hear these terms has to do with gross generalizations about urban environments -- the sort of generalizations about urban environments that people who grow up or live in them tend not to make. There isn't a single school as good as Bronx Science in Pittsburgh. Not one. The idea that large school districts are inherently bad is preposterous.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
Quote:
Most children in NYC don't go to schools like Bronx Science or Stuyvesant, in fact both of those public schools reject 19 out of 20 applicants.

I looked it up, Stuyvesant is a bit segregated- only 1% of the student body is African American. Highly ranked schools in the Pittsburgh area like USC and North Allegheny have a much higher degree of diversity.

I guess its what ever you want in an education.
And Bronx Science is majority Asian and requires an entrance exam. It's far from your typical "public" school.

The Bronx High School of Science in BRONX, NY | Student Body | US News

You can't just "send your kid" there. The kid has to earn his way in.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Beside the point. If big school districts are so terrible, how do you explain the existence of Bronx Science, which is one of the top public schools in the country?

Old 11-30-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And Bronx Science is majority Asian and requires an entrance exam. It's far from your typical "public" school.
Plenty of public schools have entrance exams (not that I endorse them).

Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Beside the point. If big school districts are so terrible, how do you explain the existence of Bronx Science, which is one of the top public schools in the country?
How about the rest of the NYC city schools? And frankly, it's not educators who are coming up with national ratings for K-12 schools. It's outfits like US News and Newsweek which use dubious metrics. Not that I don't think Bronx Science is a good school, mind you. There's a big trend these days in city schools to set up these charter/magnet schools for the kids of the gentrifiers; everyone else gets to go to neighborhood schools which range from good to awful. It's funny how these "lottery" schools manage to admit all these gentry kids, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh