Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Let's not pretend that Pittsburgh roads aren't confusing because of GPS or because other cities might have confusing roads too. Bottom line is that the lack of grid infrastructure, multiple consecutive one way streets, and street names that sometimes don't follow logic is down right confusing even for people who have lived in the area for their entire lives.

Boston streets are even more confusing, but guess what... they worked to improve their infrastructure, even during 50 years of declining population. We didn't.
Boston's roads are 1000 times more confusing than Pittsburgh's, and I've missed more on ramps and off ramps in DC than any other city. Truthfully, visitors aren't going to spend much time outside of North Shore, Golden Triangle and East End, none of which are particularly confusing. You know how confusing some of the outlying areas can be because you interact with the city like a local.

People who speak of how easy New York's grid is having spent a lot of time navigating Brooklyn, and definitely haven't been out in Queens where there's a 50th St, 50th Ave, 50th Rd and 50th Dr (often in quick succession).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 04:18 PM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I know here in San Francisco, there is a diligent attempt to keep the tourist areas clean. They are somewhat successful. I am sure other places attempt the same thing...including Pittsburgh...

Might that be the reason you think that?

Because people who live here do nothing but complain about trash and the addition of the many homeless people peeing and pooping in streets and doorways. Seriously it's disgusting here...
^Yeah, I've seen that in the lower haight and other areas there and Pittsburgh is no where near that, or having coin showers. Not nearly as many living outside. We've run into two small "camps" in Frick park but not like people that dwell in golden gate park.

I do think that litter gets worse where things get overgrown and rundown and there's other litter already there. I've seen kids toss wrappers out a car window but clearly the parent must do it because they didn't even flinch.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:17 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
I don't think native residents realize there aren't enough directional signs. The lack of parking and one way streets only add to the frustration.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:20 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I don't think native residents realize there aren't enough directional signs. The lack of parking and one way streets only add to the frustration.
Compared to San Francisco, Pittsburgh is a parking paradise.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
^Yeah, I've seen that in the lower haight and other areas there and Pittsburgh is no where near that, or having coin showers. Not nearly as many living outside. We've run into two small "camps" in Frick park but not like people that dwell in golden gate park.

I do think that litter gets worse where things get overgrown and rundown and there's other litter already there. I've seen kids toss wrappers out a car window but clearly the parent must do it because they didn't even flinch.
Pittsburgh seems grimier with buildings and streets that look liked they could use a steam cleaning, but San Francisco has far more crazy, drug addicted, alcoholic derelicts living on the streets with no access to toilets. Pittsburgh has more litter, but because SF is so windy you do get a lot of wind blown debris. Way more graffiti in SF. About once or twice a year you get a recently arrived up and coming tech superstar posting an open letter to the SF city government bemoaning the fact that he has to step over, smell, be accosted by these homeless people.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Pittsburgh seems grimier with buildings and streets that look liked they could use a steam cleaning, but San Francisco has far more crazy, drug addicted, alcoholic derelicts living on the streets with no access to toilets. Pittsburgh has more litter, but because SF is so windy you do get a lot of wind blown debris. Way more graffiti in SF. About once or twice a year you get a recently arrived up and coming tech superstar posting an open letter to the SF city government bemoaning the fact that he has to step over, smell, be accosted by these homeless people.
Those techies could always live in Silicon Valley, where their jobs are. I don't know how many people realize this, but most of the techies driving SF gentrification actually work in the San Jose MSA.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Those techies could always live in Silicon Valley, where their jobs are. I don't know how many people realize this, but most of the techies driving SF gentrification actually work in the San Jose MSA.
Generally speaking, younger single techies and couples without kids live in SF and older people with families live in SV. The entire region is seeing gentrification on a massive scale.

Overall Pittsburgh seems to be doing the right things to improve.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:13 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
A lot of those jobs are moving into SF.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Often a topic on the Atlanta board is their dream for Atlanta to be a top tier World Class city. And Atlanta is pretty close. When my family moved to Atlanta in the 1970s, Pittsburgh and Atlanta were roughly the same size. Their paths have definitely diverged since. I thought it funny then when Atlanta declared that it wanted to be a World Class city. But since, in light of their growth, international ties through its airport, companies and business it attracts, and even landed the Olympics...I'm not laughing anymore.

So what is a reasonable aspiration for Pittsburgh? What does it lack that otherwise drove the growth of other cities? What pieces of the puzzle are needed to achieve an envisioned city and metro? Pittsburgh already has a symphony, opera, and ballet, so those are in place. World class universities are there. Three of the four major American sports are there. So what big or even small pieces are missing, or are needed to improve upon?
1. Better public transportation
2. A more active airport. Atlanta is lucky they have Delta that is committed to ATL. Lucky them.
3. Better bicycling and pedestrian infrastructure. Young people like to get around and be more active, since so many of jobs these days are sitting on your can all day.
4. Lower crime with the countless shootings daily in our region.

On a good note, Pittsburgh for its small size has a great art cultural scene and is improving on many fronts. Pittsburgh also has some amazing housing stock especially in the wealthier parts of the East End. Some of the homes are just insane with great detail. Some of the old commercial buildings are also incredible if you actually look up at them. You will never see buildings like that built anymore. Tons of detail that rivals the greatest cities in the world.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:35 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
We definitely need a 24 hour wicker furniture store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh