Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 08:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yes the many companies sitting on leases. My work is pretty much waiting on every office around the US to have their leases come up so they can review/reduce. I've had meetings at large other AE firms that all say the same. Some of these leases have years left so its possible to keep seeing steady declines unless other vacancies are reduced. Not in Pgh, its the only place I never have work.
Wonder what the real vacancy rate is? 35%. More? Probably take a couple years or so to have a real idea.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:19 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,133,422 times
Hard to say given the variety of uses/industry. I was in Germantown for a meeting last month at another firm's office. I've been there many times pre-covid which they expanded their footprint in the building to 4 floors, several hundred people. In talking, about 90% of the staff still does not come in unless they have a team meeting they want to do in person or just want some quiet to work if the house is too hectic. They said it's pretty normal across their US offices

Old 03-01-2023, 09:27 AM

987 posts, read 280,697 times
Anecdotally, where I work, we have the top floor of one of the class A buildings. I was in the office yesterday, and there was 3 other people in there. Since covid, I've hired people onto my staff throughout the country, so there's no expectation that they're ever going to come to the office.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:30 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,133,422 times
For most large engineering firms, unless you have a site specific requirement you don't really care. Flying to sites periodically is more cost effective and doesnt impact much.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:54 AM

194 posts, read 85,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Anecdotally, where I work, we have the top floor of one of the class A buildings. I was in the office yesterday, and there was 3 other people in there. Since covid, I've hired people onto my staff throughout the country, so there's no expectation that they're ever going to come to the office.
With remote work I wonder what states and metros gained residents? Is there any good information on this. I live in Wheeling and would love to see our downtown come back. It is getting better albeit slowly. We have had more redevelopment in the last 5 years than the previous 40.

What’s nice about Wheeling is it’s small and in a good location off 70. Pittsburgh is an hour east and Columbus is 1 hr 45 mins west. I will say Pittsburgh has a much more densely packed downtown with buildings and that isn’t close. However on a Saturday night there is a lot of foot traffic on high street in downtown Columbus as compared with market square as well as 5th and wood street areas in downtown Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh seems a lot weaker with foot traffic on their Saturday nights in downtown.

The OP likes to stoke culture wars and I’m not sure if you can give credit or criticism to the current mayor of Pittsburgh or not. Seems as though he or any mayor has to work with what they got. If the attitudes of police mirror some of the posters on this board then crime will always be a problem. It’s like the mayor has a lack of talent to work with. Just like the manager of the pirates isn’t going to win with his lackluster talent. It is hard to run a big city if you are dependent on that same level of talent pool to police and turn your city around.

Old 03-01-2023, 11:24 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
With remote work I wonder what states and metros gained residents? Is there any good information on this. I live in Wheeling and would love to see our downtown come back. It is getting better albeit slowly. We have had more redevelopment in the last 5 years than the previous 40.

What’s nice about Wheeling is it’s small and in a good location off 70. Pittsburgh is an hour east and Columbus is 1 hr 45 mins west. I will say Pittsburgh has a much more densely packed downtown with buildings and that isn’t close. However on a Saturday night there is a lot of foot traffic on high street in downtown Columbus as compared with market square as well as 5th and wood street areas in downtown Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh seems a lot weaker with foot traffic on their Saturday nights in downtown.

The OP likes to stoke culture wars and I’m not sure if you can give credit or criticism to the current mayor of Pittsburgh or not. Seems as though he or any mayor has to work with what they got. If the attitudes of police mirror some of the posters on this board then crime will always be a problem. It’s like the mayor has a lack of talent to work with. Just like the manager of the pirates isn’t going to win with his lackluster talent. It is hard to run a big city if you are dependent on that same level of talent pool to police and turn your city around.
From Weirton to Pittsburgh to Allison Park to Wheeling. Quite the made up stories, lol. The idea of Wheeling, which is a a low income and lousy area, gaining significant population is great stuff. WV has to pay people to move there.

Many of the folks here have expressed locking loser criminals up, and especially shooters and murderers and putting them away, however, the Lib run city that Pittsburgh is, votes for soft on crime political figures, including a mayor that’s so incompetent with doing anything about the skyrocketing shootings and murders to where county police have been called in to try to help…and the police have already expressed their unhappy feelings about loser criminals getting dumped back on the streets after arresting them…and as far as the lack of talent goes, SCR, who works for the police department, has told us many times that police aren’t being hired even though there’s a major shortage.

Last edited by erieguy; 03-01-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-01-2023, 11:42 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Hey, Wheeling has some great architecture! You can tell it was briefly one of the ten largest cities in the U.S. in the early 19th century. Think about what this block would go for if the houses were in Pittsburgh!

Old 03-01-2023, 11:57 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hey, Wheeling has some great architecture! You can tell it was briefly one of the ten largest cities in the U.S. in the early 19th century. Think about what this block would go for if the houses were in Pittsburgh!
Certainly not enough to get folks to move there

Old 03-01-2023, 12:24 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post

That editorial mentions some pretty basic things, like showing up for meetings and conferences, and putting together committees. Does it really take the Delta Force to handle things like that?

Old 03-01-2023, 01:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Very nice. Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh