Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 02:49 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,962,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
With remote work I wonder what states and metros gained residents? Is there any good information on this. I live in Wheeling and would love to see our downtown come back. It is getting better albeit slowly. We have had more redevelopment in the last 5 years than the previous 40.

What’s nice about Wheeling is it’s small and in a good location off 70. Pittsburgh is an hour east and Columbus is 1 hr 45 mins west. I will say Pittsburgh has a much more densely packed downtown with buildings and that isn’t close. However on a Saturday night there is a lot of foot traffic on high street in downtown Columbus as compared with market square as well as 5th and wood street areas in downtown Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh seems a lot weaker with foot traffic on their Saturday nights in downtown.

The OP likes to stoke culture wars and I’m not sure if you can give credit or criticism to the current mayor of Pittsburgh or not. Seems as though he or any mayor has to work with what they got. If the attitudes of police mirror some of the posters on this board then crime will always be a problem. It’s like the mayor has a lack of talent to work with. Just like the manager of the pirates isn’t going to win with his lackluster talent. It is hard to run a big city if you are dependent on that same level of talent pool to police and turn your city around.
Market Square is not the epicenter of Pittsburgh nightlife. Penn Avenue is packed with restaurants and is lively. I should add that the summertime Saturday night markets are packed most weekends. Market Square is far from dead. Lawrenceville, East Liberty and Shadyside are just as lively.

Old 03-01-2023, 04:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
2045 buddy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_demographic_decline )

Enjoy it while it lasts...
Okay, let me know when that number is supposed to reach 12%. Because right now we have a group of people who make up 12% of the country's population who are, apparently, supposed to be in charge of pretty much everything. So it sounds like making up a smaller proportion of the country's population is actually a very good thing.

Last edited by fat lou; 03-01-2023 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM

194 posts, read 85,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hey, Wheeling has some great architecture! You can tell it was briefly one of the ten largest cities in the U.S. in the early 19th century. Think about what this block would go for if the houses were in Pittsburgh!
Thanks for sharing. I’m very hopeful for the future here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Market Square is not the epicenter of Pittsburgh nightlife. Penn Avenue is packed with restaurants and is lively. I should add that the summertime Saturday night markets are packed most weekends. Market Square is far from dead. Lawrenceville, East Liberty and Shadyside are just as lively.
Sorry I didn’t go to Penn Ave. I was just reporting as to what I observed in downtown on a Saturday when I visited. Tall buildings but underwhelming foot traffic for a Saturday. I think it can an should do better.

Old 03-01-2023, 05:14 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Big Ed better unleash the plan for peace as his incompetence keeps adding up.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/man-...edium=news_tab

https://www.wtae.com/article/north-s...venue/43127195

Last edited by erieguy; 03-01-2023 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-01-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I’m very hopeful for the future here!

Sorry I didn’t go to Penn Ave. I was just reporting as to what I observed in downtown on a Saturday when I visited. Tall buildings but underwhelming foot traffic for a Saturday. I think it can an should do better.
If you are comparing Columbus Oh foot traffic to Pittsburgh there is really no comparison. Downtown Pittsburgh is not the only pedestrian center in the city. Downtown Pittsburgh is not the epicenter for nightlife. Columbus is a fine city but urbanity is not one of its attributes.

Old 03-01-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
McKeesport is not the city of Pittsburgh. You forgot to add the home invasion and kidnapping in Cranberry. How did you miss that?

Old 03-01-2023, 06:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
McKeesport is not the city of Pittsburgh. You forgot to add the home invasion and kidnapping in Cranberry. How did you miss that?
I deleted it for you. Hopefully he gets his plan in place to slow down the murders and shootings. He should definitely take the article to heart.

Cranberry isn’t in the city, or even Allegheny County.

Old 03-01-2023, 07:16 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hey, Wheeling has some great architecture! You can tell it was briefly one of the ten largest cities in the U.S. in the early 19th century. Think about what this block would go for if the houses were in Pittsburgh!
that might easily be mistaken for Western Avenue, a beautiful stretch at the northern edge of a very lovely victorian-era sub-neighborhood. we have amazing architecture here that meets and cancels out Wheeling anyday.

Western Avenue is one of the nicest urban experiences, too - the people out and about actually smile and say 'hi' like they are happy to see you. at least a few that may have been self-appointed ambassadors, but thats cool.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:03 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,839 times
At least we don't have THIS problem:

Quote:
Health experts are telling 200,000 residents in Florida to avoid washing their face with tap water after a man died from a brain-eating amoeba.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:11 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
At least we don't have THIS problem:

Tap water that has not been sterilized isn't safe to use as a nasal rinse since it's not adequately filtered or treated, and so it may contain low levels of microorganisms, such as bacteria and protozoa, including amoebas, according to the US Food and Drug.

A warning to all everywhere. Read instructions before doing things. There are micro organisms in tap water. Who knew?

Also, why do people post some obscure thing to try and take the focus off of this issues at hand? Hey everyone, look over here so we can pretend that all is great. lol. Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh