Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Trust me, you're not missing much, and I used to be a season ticket holder. The last 16 years has been so depressing, I finally turned in my tickets. Great stadium, lousy team. And that ain't gonna change any time soon.

I know they have some rough times. When Kevin McClatchy came to be, I organized having him speak to our local buniness people. It was a great success for a small town. He needed to see where some of the fans lived in order to appreciate. He was gracious. Acutally thought he could do something with the team. Do you think he just didn't have the funds to pay the team? Granted he does personally, but as a whole? I often wondered that. Never been to the new stadium. Still would love to see a game. During spring break this past spring my husband suprised me with tickets at Bradenton. It was a blast. Watching a game with palm trees in the backround. And the hotdogs are as I remembered. Good! Can't beat a stadium dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,385 times
Awesomo.2000

#1 I have never stated that PGH as a whole is, sloppy and undressed.
#2 And nor did I say "only two people or few in a restaurant" are sloppy.
I have never used the word sloppy.
You are correct! Everyone in Pennsylvania dresses great. Always up to par. Sorry that I was wrong. Sorry to offend.

Have a very Merry Christmas. And a happy new year.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I agree Awesomo. The funny thing is, Pittsburgh was built on money. People see and say whatever the heck they want if they have a particular axe to grind. I am open to any criticism of Pittsburgh. However, the criticism best be thought out objectively or the poister will be ripped to shreds and made to look foolish. They have no credibility when they shoot from the hip and expect to people to take any and every criticism of Pittsburgh as the bonafide truth. See floridaorbust.
Pittsburgh was built on the broken backs of steelworkers taken advantage of by Carnegie.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:06 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
^ What do you think about Westinghouse?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 AM

95 posts, read 208,115 times
Chickdowntown is my fave pick

Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
Default There is indeed fashion in Pittsburgh!

To the OP: Pittsburgh's fashion scene is indeed present, and even more exciting, it is growing. However, the movement is largely underground at the time being, as many are highly unaware of the creative buzz that is currently centering around Pittsburgh. Eco fashion is becoming an important part of the design scene's focus, with Kelly Lane being a prime example. There are also multiple in-development projects being formed right now to bring together the creative talent in Pittsburgh that is currently spread out and disconnected.

A positive aspect of being a designer in Pittsburgh is the cost-of-living is low and there is sooo much potential for new businesses to develop here. ModCloth is doing very, very well as an established online shop with a warehouse in the Strip District, and they have cited Pittsburgh's affordability as a positive aspect of doing business here. I am not sure what you're price range is for your garments, but I'm sure the jersey and knit pieces would do well in Lawerenceville. You would also find a very welcoming design community that is happy tpo support designers who are new to the region.

As for all the focus on the Steelers being the only thing that matters in Pittsburgh, did you know that the current head coach of the Steelers, Mike Tomlin, is married to a fashion designer-Kiya Tomlin, who designs couture gowns? Surprising connection between the two sides of Pittsburgh So, is it true you will find sweatshirts and sports memorabilia in Pittsburgh? You bet. However, the much more important thing to note is that this is not the extent of Pittsburgh's potential. We have a history of innovation that is sure to continue with the development of a fashion community that is growing here each day.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I respectfully decline to give my full response, as I moved here from New York City, and the comparison wouldn't even be fair... suffice it to say, that I've seen every varoety of "Steelers" couture imaginable, and some that is downright hideous....
How's about the outerboro's of NYC? In Mannhattan, sure there's "high fashion", but outside of that? Walk into a regular bar in Queens or Brooklyn (aside from the few trendy nabes), it's not much different than ANYWHERE else. I haven't seen too many 'runway' models strutting their stuff in the Bronx either.

People are people. A guy who's running around with 7% bodyfat, ain't going to hide his body with baggy "sweatshirts" and "jogging pants", like some guy with 30% bodyfat would. The same goes with women. People's 'body' image has more to do with the way they dress than their taste (or lack of it). This to me, is common sense. Look how the 'good looking' business people of downtown dress, they ain't "slobs".

By the way, you don't have to spend alot of money to look nice. 'If' your built nice, you can look good in just about anything. The same goes if you ain't built nice, designer clothes WILL NOT make you look much better. Designer clothes, for the most part, are for people who take care of themselves. A guy with a 40 inch waist line, won't look much better in a nice pair of slacks as opposed to jeans.

The old debate, "Is it the MAN who makes the clothes, or is it the CLOTHES that make the man"? That's easy, it's the MAN who makes the clothes! Could John Goodman EVER look better than Brad Pitt?...

Last edited by pittsteelerfan; 03-19-2009 at 12:39 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 02:30 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times
The closest city to Pittsburgh for boutique fashion and growing populace of white collar seekers would be Columbus.

Columbus has a moderate sized metro, 1.7million, and a large majority of fashion interest, as it is the headquarters of the Limited, Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie and Fitch, The Limited Too, Express, Ruhel. These are all moderately priced fashion boutiques but it has drawn a large collection of talented designers to the area that have in turn opened their own boutiques, including some Project Runway upstarts.

The cities Short North art district has drawn boutiques carrying designers and local products.
Easton and the Polaris Fashion Place are attracting some upscale designers and have Saks and Nordstrom etc.. Honestly I think the regional knowledge of Columbus' expanding high end clothing market has now created enough saturation, especially with the economy. Maybe when things pick back up Columbus would be a place to expand in the Midwest.

Of course kind of neary by cities Philadelphia, Minneapolis, and Chicago would have a large metro for high end demand, and a longer history of high end boutiques.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Gee, I would just like to see some women wearing skirts/dresses and high heels in the city like years ago. Now all you mainly see is jeans or sweatpants, even at workplaces.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Gee, I would just like to see some women wearing skirts/dresses and high heels in the city like years ago. Now all you mainly see is jeans or sweatpants, even at workplaces.
The 'professionals' ain't wearing jeans and jogging pants. What office have you EVER walked into an seen someone wearing jogging pants? Or even jeans for that matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh