Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Okay, pittsteelerfan, we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I really don't have the energy today!

To me, most Pittsburghers can't dress. To you, well, whatever, I really don't even know the point you're trying to get across. The fact of the matter is, you don't have to make a 6 figure salary and drop $1,000 on a suit or $800 on a Louis Vuitton bag to look stylish. However, just because you are 'blue collar' doesn't mean you need to come out the house lookin' like a plumb fool goin' to a play in the Cultural District, either.
Who says that you have to drop $1,000 on a suit, or $800 on a purse, I certainly didn't. A professional will wear suits or business attire until they get home at night. A blue collar guy won't. And who's to say that the blue collar guy can't buy a $1000 suit?

Your missing the ENTIRE point I'm trying to make. Money has less to do with the way they dress, as opposed to their mentality or priorities. I could always afford to dress "chic" and "trendy", but never chose to do so. I don't run in 'those' types of circles to do so. Not saying I look like a bum when I go out, but I'm always casual that's for sure. Sitting in the Pleasure Bar or Coyote Cafe on a Friday night, with a $1000 suit on, I'd probably feel a little out of place. Or how about down at Hambones in Lawerencveville? Same thing........

Last edited by pittsteelerfan; 04-03-2009 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Well, jump over to the Chicago forum. There's a thread going right now about how the 'people' in Chicago are running around with "hats, sweatshirts, jeans, tennis shoes, etc". So, apparentely, Pittsburgh's not the 'only' city this happens in! And the 3 cities I listed, the average person dreeses WAY better than the rest of America!
Awesomo and I could tell you a few things about dressing in Denver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
No way an'at. We started the Terrible Towel, and now every other team wants to have one. And dem loosers at the NFL want to take it over. Jagoffs
I have a Terrible Towel on my couch.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:07 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I have a Terrible Towel on my couch.

Not to get off topic. I travel to one out of town Steeler game every year. The last 4 years, Jacksonville, Arizona, and San Diego twice, we only go to warm climates. The opposing team always gives out some type of rip-off Terrible Towel to counteract the Pghers in the stands.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery n'at.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
Gotta red up yinz wardrobe before head'n dahntahn to see Donnie Iris n'at

YouTube - Pants N'at: Donnie Iris

Old 09-26-2009, 11:06 PM

134 posts, read 412,980 times
One thing I noticed which is lacking,not only in the Pittsburgh area but also in northern WV (yeah I admit I'm from there) are nice, affordable clothing stores for women size 16 and up. My weight fluctuates and when I need the larger size there are SOO many choices for woman who are under size 12 or a teenager,but limited choices for women who are in this range.(30 yrs and up and size 16 or so)
A good friend of mine needed a nice suit for an interview and she had a hard time finding something appropriate and flattering (she lives in Connellsville by the way) in a size 18. Maybe that's one reason so many woman wearing stretch pants and T's,not enough affordable(not talking Wal-mart or Kmart) clothes in more fashionable styles.
As for Steeler wear, I'm a fan and wear my Steeler sweatshirt on game days,but not all the time!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:56 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,939,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I where the same corduroys and blue shirt with rolled up sleeves every day.
that must be hot in the summer....does it also come with it's own perfume deodorant............i am being silly just so you know i am not serious...ha ha

this thread is hysterical....being French and the Capital of World Fashion....just wear what makes you feel good and comfortable...the rest is just a trend.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,082 times
A Steelers Hoodie works for me.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,592,170 times
I'll admit I don't dress to impress but I'd rather dress casually than dress in a suit, perhaps it's just my generation.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,994 times
Red face are u still planning to move here from SF Bay?

Have you lived in Pittsburgh before? Either way, think long and hard. Your weather is much nicer! It may seem like a little thing, but once you get here, it's a BIG thing. (or it is for me.) I moved back here from SoCal and it's been a tremendous adjustment for me. I thought since I grew up here it would all feel the same, but I was wrong. Seems I had changed a lot after 12 years of being in other cities. Now I want what the large cities have, and it's not here. I'm not sure it will ever come here. It is definitely a more down to earth, blue-collar city. If I wore the kind of clothes that I truly have fun wearing, people here would think I was a freak.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,994 times
Smile think alot before you move here from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Check out 1662designzone.com for links to cool shops, boutiques featuring local artists and designers.

I'd contact shop owners to see if they'll give you the lowdown on what business is like for them in Pittsburgh. There are niche markets in most urban areas that cater to people who want high fashion. It's just that the niche may be pretty small in a place like Pittsburgh as compared to NYC, LA, etc.

I'm planning to move to Pittsburgh from the SF Bay Area in about four years. I make handmade jewelry and accessories and would love to know what the market is like there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I meant to put this quote in my prior message and forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh