Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
No way an'at. We started the Terrible Towel, and now every other team wants to have one. And dem loosers at the NFL want to take it over. Jagoffs
That's NOT want I consider fashion. But, you do have a point regarding the Terrible Towel situation. We did start that, and I roll my eyes, every time I am watching a football game and see other fans from other teams waving them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Pittsburgh should not be in the same sentence as "fashion"...sorry folks! And, THIS coming from a born and BRED Pittsburgher. We FOLLOW trends we don't START trends and most times, by the time we start to follow the latest trend, its way old in comparison to the bigger cities....That's why I am always looking in the fashion magazines to keep up on my fashion, because if I follow what I see people wearing here, and wear it to a city such as D.C., I'd get laughed at and clowned and have comments hurled at me such as "we were wearing that 2 years ago"!!

Ya, but what do 'those' people from DC do for a living? I doubt that your average garbage man in DC, runs around looking like he just stepped out of a "GQ" magazine........

Put things in perspective. Pittsburgh has a much larger blue collar workforce than DC does. People are people, lawyers are lawyers, construction workers are construction workers, etc etc. You can't expect a laborer to dress like a six-firgure attorney would, ain't going to happen anywhere!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:40 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
People that dress in the latest fashion are rarely leaders.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
People that dress in the latest fashion are rarely leaders.
Especially in terms of political "leaders" or business "leaders". They dress more on the conservative side, as opposed to the "trendy".

Old 04-02-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Ya, but what do 'those' people from DC do for a living? I doubt that your average garbage man in DC, runs around looking like he just stepped out of a "GQ" magazine........

Put things in perspective. Pittsburgh has a much larger blue collar workforce than DC does. People are people, lawyers are lawyers, construction workers are construction workers, etc etc. You can't expect a laborer to dress like a six-firgure attorney would, ain't going to happen anywhere!
You're taking what I said and going too far right with it. Bottom line is, no matter what you make, if you're a 6 figure attorney, construction worker, or some other type of laborer, when it comes time to step out on the town, you should look DECENT and PRESENTABLE. I just don't see many people, both male and female, who like to dress to impress in Pittsburgh when it comes time to step out and go somewhere NICE for the evening and when I do, I see loud colored suits and pimp hats a la "Detroit" and "Chicago" circa 1979. A vast majority of folks here are YEARS behind when it comes to fashion. Face it. Again, I am a born and BRED Pittsburgher who still resides here. I love my city, and I'll defend it to the end, but when I don't agree, I'll draw the line. Fashion is where I draw the line. We suck at it. Or should I say "a large amount of folks here" suck at it, because I sure don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgieW View Post
Hi all,
What do you fashionable Pittsburghians, who currently reside there think? I'm gonna list my website on here, only so you can see the sort of style of what I'm thinking of bringing over. Georgie W Couture..
Let me know what y'all think honestly weather good or bad...
Thanks
I'm late but, if you're still around to read this:

I'm really liking some of those yellow dresses for the Spring/Summer '09 collection.

If you plan on opening a boutique here in Da' Burgh, with these types of collections, try the boutique district on Butler Street in Lawrenceville or Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside (Walnut Street in Shadyside is a bit more mainstream). Those are the only 2 areas that I could see you selling. I don't think your "Couture" collection would quite work on East Carson Street on the South Side. However, it may work over in the South Side Works, which is a new development further down on Carson Street, with higher end stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I personally am sick of stores selling stuff that was popular over 5 years ago like its fresh. I buy most everyone online anymore because locally its: Behind the times or overpriced for what it is.

Okay! FINALLY someone who GETS IT!

Last edited by Yac; 04-03-2009 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 AM

19 posts, read 85,620 times
Hi
According to me, it's just being stylish.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You're taking what I said and going too far right with it. Bottom line is, no matter what you make, if you're a 6 figure attorney, construction worker, or some other type of laborer, when it comes time to step out on the town, you should look DECENT and PRESENTABLE. I just don't see many people, both male and female, who like to dress to impress in Pittsburgh when it comes time to step out and go somewhere NICE for the evening and when I do, I see loud colored suits and pimp hats a la "Detroit" and "Chicago" circa 1979. A vast majority of folks here are YEARS behind when it comes to fashion. Face it. Again, I am a born and BRED Pittsburgher who still resides here. I love my city, and I'll defend it to the end, but when I don't agree, I'll draw the line. Fashion is where I draw the line. We suck at it. Or should I say "a large amount of folks here" suck at it, because I sure don't.
I don't think you've done enough travelling around yet. Take NYC, with out a doubt, the fashion capital of America. But go outside of Manhhattan and watch and see how quickly the "fashion" drops off. Why is this?... Maybe, cause of the fact, that most your college educated professionals live in Mannhattan. An outside of a few "trendy" nabes in Brooklyn and Queens, for the most part, people don't dress much different than in Pittsburgh.

People with different mentalities and priorities. "Fashion" is NOT something that a lot of blue collar types worry about, atleast not the majority of them. Believe me, bricklayers ain't looking at the latest "GQ" magazine during their coffee or lunch breaks. A lawyer or stock broker, now that's something he or she might do.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Okay, pittsteelerfan, we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I really don't have the energy today!

To me, most Pittsburghers can't dress. To you, well, whatever, I really don't even know the point you're trying to get across. The fact of the matter is, you don't have to make a 6 figure salary and drop $1,000 on a suit or $800 on a Louis Vuitton bag to look stylish. However, just because you are 'blue collar' doesn't mean you need to come out the house lookin' like a plumb fool goin' to a play in the Cultural District, either.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
I where the same corduroys and blue shirt with rolled up sleeves every day.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyates View Post
High fashion in Pittsburgh is anything out-dated, yellow and black. Oh, and if you are 50 pounds over weight and Fugly - all the better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh