Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Conservatives are so pathetic. Every problem that pops up during Obama's two terms doesn't automatically parallel to some failure during the two horrific terms of your former village idiot leader.

The oil spill was caused by the previous administration's charter of deregulation where cutting corners to bypass safety regulations was as common as GOP sour grapes. President Obama is doing an excellent job dealing with the problem.

...and don't you forget it either.
Just as much as one could argue that if it weren't for STUPID Leftwing policy, maybe there wouldn't be oil drilling at 5,000 feet in depth, making it that much more difficult to address such a problem.
But hey...those enviro. tree huggies made off shore drilling something that just had to be done way offshore and in deep-ass waters.

So what?
This ongoing oil plumage is a huge catastrophe....as was Katrina and his "handling" of it SUCKS equally as bad as anything Bush could be blamed for.
What would suck more?
Oh yeah....if EVERY ATTEMPTED terrorist act that has occured THIS year in the US......had only been successful each time.
How would this admin. be responding to ALL of it by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:14 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I defy any person, liberal, conservative, or moderate, to provide good rationale as to why this is not "Obama's Katrina."

I'm looking for good, reasoned, rationale. Do you have any?
You probably need to define what you mean by the vernacular "Katrina", as in loss of life, incompetence in leadership, slow to act, poor management and coordination by the president, between state and federal agencies etc...

Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
I defy any person, liberal, conservative, or moderate, to provide good rationale as to why this is not "Obama's Katrina."

I think there have been several posts that addressed this very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Just as big a mess though for Obama. Sorry, he is the president and all presidents before him have taken the blame for what happened when they were in office. Why does he get a pass?
R-i-g-h-t.

And how many threads/posts have we seen on this forum about Bush keeping us safe for 8 years, or that 9/11 was Clinton's fault, or that the March-November 2001 recession was something that Bush "inherited"?

But to be clear, (1) President Obama doesn't get a pass, and (2) while no rational person would assign blame to anyone for an industrial accident (or natural disaster), President Obama and the federal government clearly have a responsibility to exercise judgment and common sense in making sure that BP stops the gushing oil & bears all costs for the clean-up as well as taking all legal/regulatory actions needed to prevent future accidents.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

R-i-g-h-t.

And how many threads/posts have we seen on this forum about Bush keeping us safe for 8 years, or that 9/11 was Clinton's fault, or that the March-November 2001 recession was something that Bush "inherited"?

But to be clear, (1) President Obama doesn't get a pass, and (2) while no rational person would assign blame to anyone for an industrial accident (or natural disaster), President Obama and the federal government clearly have a responsibility to exercise judgment and common sense in making sure that BP stops the gushing oil & bears all costs for the clean-up as well as taking all legal/regulatory actions needed to prevent future accidents.
I disagree. Liberals tried to squelch that discussion early on when there were fewer comparisons to be made regarding the government response. Now, 50 days later, the comparison is completely different. Oil is showing up on shores all along the Gulf. The government's slow response is partly culpable. This is a different discussion backed by a completely separate set of events.

Nice try at a deflection though.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

R-i-g-h-t.

Right on most every point. What both presidents are expected to do is provide leadership, make prompt and timely decisions

In Obama's case, we expect him to lead and coordinate the containment and clean up effort. He has been failing at this; states do not have the materials and assistance they need.

Obama allowed a third party, BP, to take charge of the situation from the start, when all we need them to do is stop the leak, drill the relief wells, and pay for the clean up. 0bama is relying too much on BP to do everything. BP is a very large corporation, but we need our people coordinating the clean up between the federal government and the states, not some foreign corporation like BP. What if the next leak comes from a Vietnam corporation, or China, are we to allow them to take control and run the show?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:

Katrina? Wasn't that during the BUSH administration?

Is anyone suffering from Bush derangement syndrome ?

Can't stop bringing him up????

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 06-09-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,350 times
Quote:

AeroGuyDC !!! ... Precisely Right !

Your emphatic statement regarding "HO's Katrina" is perhaps more profoundly accurate than anyone may realize at this point in time !

The initial TPOTUS response to this "Disaster In The Gulf" at last appears to be excessively "Weak and Amateurish" at best ! ...... May the American People never have to experience a major national crisis from our numerous enemies around the globe during the remainder of this "Goof Troops" time in the WH !!! ARRRRRRRRRRGH !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Bush had warnings about Katrina. He even flew over the damage (correct me if I am wrong) and just looked at it. When we KNEW this was happening, why did it take so freakin long for supplies and help to get to New Orleans?
The response to Katrina was by far the largest- and fastest- rescue effort in U.S. history, with nearly 100,000 emergency personnel arriving on the scene within 3 days of landfall.

Dozens of National Guard and Coast helicopters flew rescue operations that first day- some just 2 hours after Katrina hit the coast. Hoistless army helicopters improvised rescues, carefully hovering on rooftops to pick up survivors. On the ground, guardsmen had to chop their way through, moving trees and recreating roadways.

By the end of the week, 50,000 National Guard troops in the Gulf Coast region had saved 17,000 people and 4,000 Coast Guard personnel saved more than 33,000.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Right on most every point. What both presidents are expected to do is provide leadership, make prompt and timely decisions

In Obama's case, we expect him to lead and coordinate the containment and clean up effort. He has been failing at this; states do not have the materials and assistance they need.

Obama allowed a third party, BP, to take charge of the situation from the start, when all we need them to do is stop the leak, drill the relief wells, and pay for the clean up. 0bama is relying too much on BP to do everything. BP is a very large corporation, but we need our people coordinating the clean up between the federal government and the states, not some foreign corporation like BP. What if the next leak comes from a Vietnam corporation, or China, are we to allow them to take control and run the show?
Well Said !!!!!!!

The WH "Nightmare" continues and it truly appears that absolutely no improvement whatsoever will be forthcoming for the foreseeable future !!! ! OMG What have some of DINO voters done to this great nation !!! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The response to Katrina was by far the largest- and fastest- rescue effort in U.S. history, with nearly 100,000 emergency personnel arriving on the scene within 3 days of landfall.

Dozens of National Guard and Coast helicopters flew rescue operations that first day- some just 2 hours after Katrina hit the coast. Hoistless army helicopters improvised rescues, carefully hovering on rooftops to pick up survivors. On the ground, guardsmen had to chop their way through, moving trees and recreating roadways.

By the end of the week, 50,000 National Guard troops in the Gulf Coast region had saved 17,000 people and 4,000 Coast Guard personnel saved more than 33,000.
Those numbers don't matter; Bush wasn't physically there within minutes of the levees breaking. This is what seems to matter to the Dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies