Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:16 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Thank you for this post. I should have challenged the data provided by that poster. Something told me the numbers were wrong, but I went about my business without fact-checking it. Thank you for doing it for us.

You will learn not to trust liberals with numbers. They will move them around purposely to try and fool you.

Just like Obama does the use of fake and projected numbers and words means he is lying which we all know he does daily.

If you know the libfarts like I do you already knew 4,000 was more then double the correct number only because they tried to paint Bush as the problem. All along those 4,000 fake dead are the fault of two *******s named Blanco and Nagan. Both should be in jail.

Never, never trust a liberal with facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,195 times
Quote:
I defy any person, liberal, conservative, or moderate, to provide good rationale as to why this is not "Obama's Katrina."

I'm looking for good, reasoned, rationale. Do you have any?
It's not a natural disaster, therefore it's nothing like Katrina.

However, Obama could be blamed for allowing shoddy regulations to continue on his watch. But you wouldn't agree probably, since you feel that large corporations have the responsibility and the right to regulate themselves, correct?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
So you're satisfied with the response and the results of that response huh?
I am not satisfied with the response and feel there is more that could have been done. I don't excuse Obama's comments and posturing but this is different than anyting we have ever seen. The government could have done more but I don't think the outcome would have been much different. we are supposed to be prepared for hurricanes but not for disasters of his nature.

There are very few companies that are skilled in putting out oil releases above ground as we learned whe Hussein set fire to the wells in Iraq. There are none with experience 1 mile under the ocean.

This is Obama's responsibility but our government has failed us in the oversight andsafety issues regarding these oil drills. This is the one we know about, you have to wonder if there have been more on a lesser scale since now one seemed to care. Hopefully some good will come from this but it will take decades to repair the damage to the environment.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
I defy any person, liberal, conservative, or moderate, to provide good rationale as to why this is not "Obama's Katrina."

I'm looking for good, reasoned, rationale. Do you have any?
Well about first you share your good, reasoned, rationale about why it is "Obama's Katrina".

Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
It's not a natural disaster, therefore it's nothing like Katrina.

However, Obama could be blamed for allowing shoddy regulations to continue on his watch. But you wouldn't agree probably, since you feel that large corporations have the responsibility and the right to regulate themselves, correct?

Tell those people along the coastlines it is not a natural disaster and not destroying natural plants and wildlife.

You can call it any disaster you want but the act I stated above shows YOU that since this is in federal controlled area it is the responsibility of the feds to do something.

Any disaster, natural or not should be handled as the law and procedures state.

Katrina procedures and laws were screwed up by the Gov and Mayor.

Oil Spill laws, regulations and procedures are in place and so far have been screwed up by Obama and his administration.

But he has been on it since day one ya know.

Did you know that this rig was inspected 10 days before this happened and the report sent to the proper people in Obamas administration and no one did anything to let someone know? Obama hired people to take care of things like this and they failed to do their job. Therefore his fault.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Well about first you share your good, reasoned, rationale about why it is "Obama's Katrina".

I will answer that one.

Nagan and Blanco failed to react in a timely manner and to follow laws and procedures in place. Long term effects are being shown by liberals here making up false death numbers in an effort to put blame on anything but the failed liberals who were in control.

Obama has failed to react in a timely manner to control this issue and the long term problems will be caused by his failure to do his job.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM

631 posts, read 720,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Let me correct you.

Confirmed deaths attributed to Katrina is NOT 4,000 it was 1,800. Nice try!

Of those 1,800, 1,500 were people who were ordered to leave and did not. And this count is not just in La but also included the Bahamas, Cuba etc.

President Bush went on national TV 5 days before Katrina hit and told people to leave.

Your liberal Mayor and your liberal Governor caused these deaths because unlike the oil spill this disaster is controlled by the state first and federal second.

Your liberal Mayor should be in jail for not following written and documented procedures. He wanted to be a hero and failed.

Bush had national guard outside of La waiting for the word from your liberal Governor to allow them to come in and they did not get the call until it was too late.

Stop making up stuff like this. The fact is the people died for two reasons.

They did not follow ORDERS and your liberal Mayor wanted to be a hero and caused the death of these people for not doing his job.

Look up the federal law that prohibits federal officials to get involved in any a state matter until after the feds get the call for help from the Governor.

Perfect example, Jeb Bush did this correct and saved the lives of thousands of people in Florida.

Another? Arnold followed the procedure in place several times during the wild fires and saved thousands of lives and homes because he did not want to be a hero like Nagan did.

To make it clear.

Katrina was a state controlled disaster and laws prohibit feds from taking control until those procedures are in place. Your liberal Mayor and Governor failed to follow the correct procedures and cost those people their lives.

This oil spill is in a FEDERAL CONTROLLED area. HUGE difference and this disaster may not cost this many lives but it will cost us a beautiful coastline, many peoples livelihood and will cost us all tons of money in the end because of the failures of this FEDERAL government and this ADMINISTRATION to wait for 47 days to finally do something.

Lives are NOT the only thing in a disaster to be counted. This oil spill will cost Americans homes, jobs and much more because of the daily mistakes and poor decision making skills of the idiot in the WH who had TOTAL CONTROL of this from day one he said.

Again, FEDERAL means FEDERAL control.

Do not confuse the two and make you look up the act that prohibits the feds from coming in during a disaster until the Governor of the state follow proper procedures inwhich your liberal Governor in La failed.

Funny, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida all had hurricanes and they followed the procedures to get help. And they were of course republicans who did not want to be a hero like the criminal Nagan did.

READ the following act.

FEMA: Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Public Law 93-288) as amended

You will find that natural disasters in on-shore states are governed by that state and not by the federal government.

While I agree with you one some of the stuff in your post, and I agree twista was wrong with the facts, I dont see how this shows this oil spill is Obama's Katrina, its just proves twista was wrong with some numbers.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
I will answer that one.

Nagan and Blanco failed to react in a timely manner and to follow laws and procedures in place. Long term effects are being shown by liberals here making up false death numbers in an effort to put blame on anything but the failed liberals who were in control.

Obama has failed to react in a timely manner to control this issue and the long term problems will be caused by his failure to do his job.
Nagin and Blanco share the blame to be sure, especially up to when the storm hit. However your attempt to let Bush off the hook in coordinating the aftermath through homeland security is shallow and disengenuous.

Our government got aid to the tsunami victims faster than they could cut through the red tape to get to New Orleans. (Oh, and your comment Bush was "prohibited by law" from helping Americans in time of need is not only wrong, but pathetic. The Federal Governemnt can certainly take over in times of crisis.)

And this oil spill obviously is exactly nothing like that. Try listening to the morning news one of these days. Government experts all admit the government has absolutely no capabilities to handle something like this at that pressure level.

I understand it is Obama and this gets some people all into an excited froth, but it is apples and giraffes. Not even close.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,195 times
I don't understand why the right-wingers are spending so much time criticizing Obama for this when BP is the one half-assing the cleanup of THEIR OWN MESS. Yes, BP's MESS. Funny how the vocally-pro-free-market right-wingers spend so much time criticizing the government (read: Obama) for a private corporation's gross mistake. Ironic.

For the record, I think the government should have regulated drilling a lot more, and I fault them for not doing so to prevent something like this from happening.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
I will answer that one.

And some are questioning Jindal as well:
Just saying

:: Baton Rouge Business Report :: How prepared was Louisiana? (http://www.businessreport.com/news/2010/jun/01/how-prepared-was-louisiana-indt1/?government-politics - broken link)

- Jindal has repeatedly blamed BP and the U.S. Coast Guard for a lack of “detailed plans” to protect the coast, despite that his administration apparently helped create the plans that were in place. A May 3 news conference, two weeks after the rig explosion, was only one example. Jindal talked at length about “worst-case scenario detailed plans for all coastal parishes” that had been submitted the night before. When asked why the state didn’t create those plans before the spill, just in case the worst happened, he didn’t directly answer the question. When asked if the state had planned at all for the possibility of a spill prior to the April 20 disaster, he essentially restated a talking point from his prepared remarks.

Jindal says existing plans didn’t anticipate an oil spill 50 miles offshore reaching the coast, and he didn’t expect the volume of oil that could potentially reach the coast. He stated that cleaning up oil in the marshes would simply cause more damage. The impression left that afternoon on several members of the media was that the state hadn’t done any oil-spill planning before April 20, instead choosing to rely on other entities for protection.

Local officials in some coastal parishes wanted to start putting out protective boom almost immediately after the Deepwater Horizon explosion because they knew the rig would likely collapse and cause an oil spill. The program officials wanted would have cost $1.3 million, but Jindal balked at the expense and instead waited to act until days later, when BP officials had confirmed the well was leaking, LaFonta says. Two Jindal spokesmen contacted for this story did not submit a response to that claim.

“[Within three miles of the coast], it’s state business. It’s state responsibility,” Jones says. He says the state should have immediately set up a “cash flow” fund, possibly using an economic development fund containing about $80 million. Coastal parishes could have accessed $1 million or more in the fund to provide for their own protection, recognizing that the state or the parishes could file claims against BP to recoup that money later. He says the state has demonstrated its ability to respond to small, quickly contained oil spills. -

Last edited by pollyrobin; 06-09-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies