Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

And what are all those old people supposed to do?
In Germany they are thinking of lowering the retirement age from 67 to 65 again as there is simply not nearly enough work. It may sound cruel, but there is no need for old people in the workforce. A lot of companies are trying to get rid of employees as young as 45 or 50, so why would they want to employ 70 year olds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
dont you know, you have to provide a link to this kind of thing? LOL!

you are dead right. and it is a silly argument.

bottom line, the OP here is made a Boehner for telling the truth (a truth that liberals in congress admit ) related to SS. then the OP is linking this truth to Boehner's support for the Bush Tax cuts that have absolutly zero to do with SS. (and by the way, there are a lot of Dems in congress that are now coming out in support for the Bush Tax Cuts. )
I do not consider avoiding a legit question FIVE times telling the truth. Odd that you do.

Video: Republican Minority Leader John Boehner dodges Bush tax cuts questions five times

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And what are all those old people supposed to do?
In Germany they are thinking of lowering the retirement age from 67 to 65 again as there is simply not nearly enough work. It may sound cruel, but there is no need for old people in the workforce. A lot of companies are trying to get rid of employees as young as 45 or 50, so why would they want to employ 70 year olds?

1. The fact that Germany has a slow economy and can't find jobs for people is irrelevant.

2. Walmart is usually hiring greeters and they don't seem to have an issue with hiring older folks.

3. SS should not be the primary source of income for you if you're retired. It was never intended to support a large population of retirees. When it was set up you were only expected to live a year or two on it...not 20.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
1. The fact that Germany has a slow economy and can't find jobs for people is irrelevant.

2. Walmart is usually hiring greeters and they don't seem to have an issue with hiring older folks.

3. SS should not be the primary source of income for you if you're retired. It was never intended to support a large population of retirees. When it was set up you were only expected to live a year or two on it...not 20.
1. Germany's economy is in pretty good shape.

2. Greeters If I were a senior citizen I would feel like an idiot if I were paid to greet people or pack their bags. And as a customer I hate such obtrusive, artificial treatment.

3. Well, times change...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I do not consider avoiding a legit question FIVE times telling the truth. Odd that you do.

Video: Republican Minority Leader John Boehner dodges Bush tax cuts questions five times
whatever. you are connecting Social Security to the Bush Tax Cuts.

that makes as much sense as a football bat.

Now if Boehner were advocating cutting the SS Tax and raising the retirement age to 70, you would have an argument.

If I were to refuse to answer a question about Chinese food, you would not be accurate in berating me for wanting to drive Hondas.

That is about what you are doing in this thread.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
1. Germany's economy is in pretty good shape.

2. Greeters If I were a senior citizen I would feel like an idiot if I were paid to greet people or pack their bags. And as a customer I hate such obtrusive, artificial treatment.

3. Well, times change...

So really...what it comes down to is that there are jobs but you think you're too good for them, and you think the reason SS was created is irrelevant because you want it to be something else now?

Is that the gist of it?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,361 times
let's raise John Boner's retirement age to November 2010.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So really...what it comes down to is that there are jobs but you think you're too good for them, and you think the reason SS was created is irrelevant because you want it to be something else now?

Is that the gist of it?
I cant speak for Neuling but I do want SS to exist. I want it to be a substantial part of my retirement too.

but democrats have insured that will not happen because they have robbed the trust, put Tbils in the box, and then made hte Tbills worthless.

I WANT MY MONEY.

SS is a broke joke. It's a ponzy scheme and if the creators were investment bankers they would be rotting in jail.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
let's raise John Boner's retirement age to November 2010.
Translation:

"Shooting the messenger is fun!"

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
whatever. you are connecting Social Security to the Bush Tax Cuts.

that makes as much sense as a football bat.

Now if Boehner were advocating cutting the SS Tax and raising the retirement age to 70, you would have an argument.

If I were to refuse to answer a question about Chinese food, you would not be accurate in berating me for wanting to drive Hondas.

That is about what you are doing in this thread.
Your complete failure to see the hypocrisy in Boehner's stances on these issues and how his priorities contradict each other is sad. Your analogy made no sense because you did not give an analogy that was even remotely related to what I pointed out as Boehner's hypocrsiy. He says that we cannot afford keeping the retirement age as it stands now, but he cannot come up with an answer as to how the tax cuts will be paid for. He is talking out of both sides of his mouth with a fork tongue and no matter how you attempt to spin it, any idiot can clearly see his less than noble agenda and hypocrisy.

Also...
Boehner supports privatizing Social Security. Boehner said he’d push to privatize Social Security if he was in charge. “If I’m around in a leadership role come January, we’re going to get serious about it.”

Twelve Reasons Why Privatizing Social Security is a Bad Idea

Reason #1: Today's insurance to protect workers and their families against death and disability would be threatened.

Reason #2: Creating private accounts would make Social Security's financing problem worse, not better.

Reason #3: Creating private accounts could dampen economic growth, which would further weaken Social Security's future finances.

Reason #4: Privatization has been a disappointment elsewhere.

Reason #5: The odds are against individuals investing successfully.

Reason #6: What you get will depend on whether you retire when the market is up or down.

Reason #7: Wall Street would reap windfalls from your taxes.

Reason #8: Private accounts would require a new government bureaucracy.

Reason #9: Young people would be worse off.

Reason # 10: Women stand to lose the most.

Reason #11: African Americans and Latin Americans also would become more vulnerable under privatization.

Reason #12: Retirees will not be protected against inflation.

http://www.socsec.org/publications.asp?pubid=503
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies