Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Such altruism most folks around the world would prefer to do without.
No they wouldn't rather do without. Who do they all come crying to when the ***** hits the fan? Pakistan ring a bell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Smart bombs aren't always smart. In fact, they still do a lot of killing of innocent people.

And contrast Abudl with the Michigan Christian militia group that was collecting firearms and explosives in a bid to overthrow the government.
One sad localized group. Doesn't look like much of a threat worldwide, does it? Apples to oranges. Nice try, but no cigar.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How many of those were directly and purposefully killed by Coalition forces in the name of Christianity.
Last I heard the market bombings that were typically taking out 50 to 100 people a pop were Muslim on Muslim.

You could say that these killiings would not have taken place without our invasion but you would also have to be aware that Saddam's regime was responsible for anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 Iraqi deaths himself. Those numbers do not include the Iranians who perished in the Iran/Iraq War.
I don't think you can on the one hand defend deaths at the hands of Coalition forces that were effected for political control of a nation, and yet condemn the deaths at the hands of Saddam that were effected to maintain political control of a nation. The Iran/Iraq War wasn't a religious war.

And I think that the deaths incurred during the Crusades, and during the Inquisition were about as specifically in the name of Christianity as it gets.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
When has the US ever intentionally sent soldiers into bus stations with bombs on their chests or hijacked airplanes to specifically target civilians?

And besides, our Constitution doesn't tell us we should kill non-Americans. His holy book tells him to kill non-muslims.
Let's see, we've napalmed entire villages; Mai Lai Massacre; Abu Graib; School of the Americas, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
How many of those were directly and purposefully killed by Coalition forces in the name of Christianity.
Last I heard the market bombings that were typically taking out 50 to 100 people a pop were Muslim on Muslim.

You could say that these killiings would not have taken place without our invasion but you would also have to be aware that Saddam's regime was responsible for anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 Iraqi deaths himself. Those numbers do not include the Iranians who perished in the Iran/Iraq War.
You're justifying deaths that wouldn't have occurred had we not attacked a sovereign nation? Really?
Bush said that god told him to attack Iraq. He made it a holy war.
George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq' | World news | The Guardian
USATODAY.com - Strain of Iraq war showing on Bush, those who know him say (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-04-01-bush-cover_x.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Never said we don't have any blood on our hands. We don't carry the proportionate amount. We are a giving nation and even go in to rebuild and help places we have fought against.
Not our place.
You're right, we should be carrying more blood for our actions as a country. We've become bullies in the world.
We destroy a country and they rebuild it?
Gee, that's cost effective and not in any remote way, our place.

Quote:
Hahahahahahaha!

So, okay, is Islam a religious or political entity?
In several theocracies, it's both.
Interesting how Iraq was secular, not religious and now we've filled it with religious whackaloons.

So, you want to turn the US into a theocracy? Is that your focus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm just amazed at the rebellious, snarky attitude by you folks. Try going to live in a muslim country and you'll really feel persecuted. You've got the freedom to do the things you do because of Christianity.
Poor persecuted christers. Not.
Xianity gives me no freedom. What an absolutely silly and unsupported comment.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You need a hand moving those goalposts? Rauf said - and I think the numbers carry it out - that the US has a repsonsibility for the the death of more Muslims than al-Queda has for non-Muslims. Nobody except you mentioned "purposefully", nor "in the name of Christianity", nor any other qualifier you'd like to throw in there to arrive at your preferred result.
Don't you think intent should be a part of the equation? These people seem the think we are out to destroy Islam. Is that how you feel?

Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times
It's very tacky.

I grow a bit weary of this tactic.

Islamic leaders and many Muslims apparently believe they have the right to level massive criticism at Americans as individuals and Americans as a whole. Meanwhile any sort of criticism of the Islamic world -- a world where women are largely second class citizens, the rights of religious minorities non-existent and theocracy the order of the day -- is labeled Islamphobia.

The double standard gets more than a bit ridiculous.

Rauf feels perfectly comfortable tearing American society to shreds as essentially evil and immoral but apparently believes his own community exempt from the slightest hint of similar examination.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hold on Hoss.

You seem to think that U.S. involvement in the middle east didn't start until Sept 12, 2001.
I know history, please don't put words in my mouth.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
One sad localized group. Doesn't look like much of a threat worldwide, does it? Apples to oranges. Nice try, but no cigar.
I'm sure someone said the same thing about Al Qaeda at one point in time.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,543 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think you can on the one hand defend deaths at the hands of Coalition forces that were effected for political control of a nation, and yet condemn the deaths at the hands of Saddam that were effected to maintain political control of a nation. The Iran/Iraq War wasn't a religious war.
I feel he needed to be taken out, that's all I was saying.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
It's very tacky.

I grow a bit weary of this tactic.

Islamic leaders and many Muslims apparently believe they have the right to level massive criticism at Americans as individuals and Americans as a whole. Meanwhile any sort of criticism of the Islamic world -- a world where women are largely second class citizens, the rights of religious minorities non-existent and theocracy the order of the day -- is labeled Islamphobia.

Rauf feels perfectly comfortable tearing American society to shreds as essentially evil and immoral but apparently believes his own community exempt from the slightest hint of similar examination.
This tactic:

Conservative and anti-Muslim leaders apparently believe they have the right to level massive criticism at Muslims as individuals and as a whole. Meanwhile, any sort of criticism of American diplomatic policy--policy that has resulted in the deaths of millions of Muslims, policy that has resulted in authoritarian regimes being imposed on countries that were embracing democratic values--is labeled as terrorism.

Rauf doesn't tear up American society at all. He makes speeches about how Muslims can live at peace in a country where tolerance and religious freedom exists, how American laws are in accord with the tenets of Muslim belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies