Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So you exonerate Saddam from the brutal acts he pulled on his people? Gassing the kurds, his sons just randomly picking up young girls to rape them, killing Atheletes when they didn't perform well. All of that? You excuse all of that? How about the ethnic cleansing going on in Somalia, you excuse that too?
The U.S. did not invade and occupy Iraq to help the Kurds or save girls from being raped and you know it. Besides, we loved Saddam before we hated him and who do you thing supplied Saddam with the gas that killed the Kurds? The USA is so not above reproach and doing things that can be considered accomplices to atrocities. The U.S. pick and chooses its battles according to what can be gained monetarily or as power...war is a racket and do not delude yourself into thinking that the USA is really that shining beacon on the hill. When one admits the grim thruth, it does not translate to condoning killing elsewhere or being unpatriotic to the USA. It's merely being realistic and owning the things that we have done which sometimes leads to the reaping what we have sown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
That, IMO, is what is behind the angst. There is no trust for the Muslim world.
And whose fault is that? You've been sucking their natural resources dry for generations, yet with few exceptions they have been portrayed as camel jockeys, indolent oil sheiks, or terrorist of some sort or another. Like most brown people, we like them for their resources but have no interest whatsoever of knowing them as fellow human beings.

Quote:
That trust should have been built among us before this so-called community center, as part of Ground Zero because of having plane landing gear wreckage involved, was pushed on NY.
Who the hell are you? They have the trust of their neighbors, they have the trust of the City of New York, why on earth should they give a god damn about you, where ever in neolithic America you live?

Quote:
There may be some moderates out there, but there are not enough voices to calm the majority of Americans about it.
Not enough moderates or not enough access to 24/7 cable news channels? Frankly there aren't enough moderates in the world that will satisfy the unreasoned, the uneducated and the unthinking among you. Hell look how many of your Islamaphobes can't decide is Obama is a racist black Christian or a Muslim.

Quote:
Rauf's has very divisive words and says that our Constitution is Sharia compliant. What in the world is that supposed to mean? Not very reassuring words to me.
Since you don't know what it is suppose to mean, I can only assume that you got this from some website, an email or whacked out right wing talking head. So instead of searching for the original statement and supporting information, you sit back "disturbed" more comfortable in your disturbed ignorance than in seeking truth.

Need I say more?

Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
You're ignoring WHY there is criticism of the Islamic world. Saudi textbooks (distributed all over the Muslim world) unrepentantly insult other religions. There are 22 Muslim nations. They're pretty horrible places where women are dirt and non-Muslims essentially second class citizens. You're also infantiziling Muslims by not holding them responsible for their own actions in their own countries.

The third greatest casualties from a war last century was during the Iran-Iraq war. That was not a US doing.

FYI, democratically elected governments can still suck. Hamas is a truly evil organization, a Muslim version of the KKK, yet they were freely elected by the Palestinians. Were we supposed to applaud somehow?

Rauf is defending Al Quada while building a big giant building a short distance away from where thousands of American citizens were murdered by his fellow co-religionists.

Yes, that's rather tacky and insensitive.

His own community is hardly much better. Even in America the Islamic community here tolerates the worst kind of hatred in their very own mosques:

http://www.freedomhouse.org/uploads/special_report/45.pdf (broken link)

Americans are supposed to admit to all our supposed enormous faults while the Islamic community perpetually whines about Israeli Jews living next door to them, blames America for the faults of a billion people and plays the victim constantly at every turn. I'm a very liberal person but I'm more than a little sick of it. Islam is nothing more than ideology. If I find it an extremely distasteful ideology well that's no different than finding capitalism or communism rather unpalatable.
Great post!!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The U.S. did not invade and occupy Iraq to help the Kurds or save girls from being raped and you know it. Besides, we loved Saddam before we hated him and who do you thing supplied Saddam with the gas that killed the Kurds? The USA is so not above reproach and doing things that can be considered accomplices to atrocities. The U.S. pick and chooses its battles according to what can be gained monetarily or as power...war is a racket and do not delude yourself into thinking that the USA is really that shining beacon on the hill. When one admits the grim thruth, it does not translate to condoning killing elsewhere or being unpatriotic to the USA. It's merely being realistic and owning the things that we have done which sometimes leads to the reaping what we have sown.
So you too think that Saddam should have gotten a pass. Gotcha.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Quote:
Rauf's has very divisive words and says that our Constitution is Sharia compliant. What in the world is that supposed to mean? Not very reassuring words to me.
Since you don't know what it is suppose to mean, I can only assume that you got this from some website, an email or whacked out right wing talking head. So instead of searching for the original statement and supporting information, you sit back "disturbed" more comfortable in your disturbed ignorance than in seeking truth.
I heard him say it himself. The video is posted somewhere on this forum.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
It's always been about U.S. interests around the world and the American lifestyle, so what?
So, what?

If you can respond in such a callused manner, I wouldn't expect you to be surprised that someone would take a violent offense at your self-aggrandizement at their expense.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
So, what?

If you can respond in such a callused manner, I wouldn't expect you to be surprised that someone would take a violent offense at your self-aggrandizement at their expense.
At their expense? We paid enough to pretty much every damn nation on this planet where they owe us big time. They need to learn not to bite the hand that feeds them or they will end up starving.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

Pretty thin chielgirl, pretty thin. One photo of Bush praying with the troops and a secondhand account from a Palestinian who was at a meeting with Bush who reportedly said "God told me".
Are you denying that this occurred? Or that it would have an impact on those hearing/reading it?
I would think the opposite.
He's not the only one who called it a holy war, General Boykin did as well, IIRC.

A Distant Mirror of Holy War | World | AlterNet
However, on the same day, the Associated Press reported that the same Lt. Col. Brandl said: "The enemy has got a face. He's called Satan. He's in Fallujah, and we're going to destroy him."
Donald Rumsfeld's holy war: How President Bush's Iraq briefings came with quotes from the Bible | Mail Online
The daily briefings about the progress of the war that Mr Rumsfeld gave to President George W Bush were illustrated with victorious quotes from the Bible and gung-ho photographs of U.S. troops, it has emerged.
God's War? Bush's Holy Warrior
The Religious Warrior of Abu Ghraib: An Evangelical US General played a Pivotal Role in Iraqi Prison Reform

If you don't like any of these, there are several thousand more you can choose from.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So you too think that Saddam should have gotten a pass. Gotcha.
You did not really address my post, but you did attmept to spin in it. Why is it so difficult to address what is actually stated? Only a complete moron would read my post and infer that Saddam's actions were being condoned. Why are you so afraid to read a bit of history? Does it go against the oath you have taken to be true to only to talking heads and empty rhetoric? Seriously, this is what makes debating and discussing issues with people such as you an abject waste of time.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-23-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
So, what?

So, are you willing to give up your way of life? You live the way you do because we have in the past protected our interests around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies