Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I disagree

Gunmen kill 9-year-old girl jumping rope, wound 2nd
9-Year-Old Girl Shot After Answering Front Door | NBC Bay Area

To the girl's family and friends it is only about the girl's death.

To the rest of us it is something more because 9 year old girls die every day and there is not this kind of reaction

Why should it be about more. Why do you make it about more? It is NOT. Every death is horrible but what people have done on this thread is beyond sick. They have made excuses for this killer and removed all compassion for those that were killed. That is WRONG and that is NOT done on most killings. What you post if just as horrific as this and it would be wrong to make that about more then the horrible death of a child also. Especially when it is nothing more then a pissing contest between left and right.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:02 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,960,918 times
Default Honor and Pray for Her

No matter how you look at. Political agenda or not, she is a Real American Patriot who is willing to take less money for her country and she was shot in the head today. Is that not a fact. I'm not a political person but this is what I hear. Looks like it's not only our soldiers who are getting shot and killed these days. Let's hope and pray she makes it and that good will come out of this. Don't worry about if this is political or not. The question is who's going to stand up now and take the torch.

Gabrielle Giffords - A real American Patriot.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,566 times
This fella had mental health issues, so he may have just been a very disturbed person who had to kill that day, but if we are to belive what LE says, there appears to be another gun man, meaning the person they have in custody may not have worked alone.

Crazy people generally work on their own but if there was some issue prompting them, like a political ideology or rhetoric (there goes that word again) from their favorite wingnut..... bang! They have a reason.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
This tragedy IS political. A federal judge overseeing a contentious illegal immigration case was killed and a sitting congresswomen was the target of assassination.

The federal judge is a friend of Rep. Giffords and stopped by to say hello on his way home from Mass. I doubt very much that the shooter knew he would be there or knew who he was. Wrong place, wrong time, terrible tragedy. Nothing more. Let's not make ALL of this political (especially not right now).

Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,932 times
Default Was Jared Lee Loughner a Lefty or a Muslim?

The Communist Manifesto was one of his favorite books and so was Mein Kampf so he hated Jewish people.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I agree, this tragedy has no place for politics.
I agree with you.

I am heartened to see many people on here - some of whom I oftentimes disagree with - drop the partisan bickering today and rally around the fact that what happened was a tragedy that should never befall anyone, regardless of their political opinion. I've just gained new respect for many of you.

And to those of you who have kept on playing this petty little left / right blame game with the tragic act of a clearly insane person - we all know who you are - shame on you. Please...just stop. Go argue on another thread topic, another day...but please, if you have an ounce of decency in your body...don't do it here anymore.

If you read this guy's bizarre, barely coherent Youtube posts, you'll quickly see that it is the work of someone who is deeply psychologically disturbed. It has nothing whatsoever to do with liberals or conservatives.

It's just a really sad event. There are parents, wives, husbands, siblings, friends crying tonight because they lost people they dearly loved. That is all.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Why should it be about more. Why do you make it about more? It is NOT. Every death is horrible but what people have done on this thread is beyond sick. They have made excuses for this killer and removed all compassion for those that were killed. That is WRONG and that is NOT done on most killings. What you post if just as horrific as this and it would be wrong to make that about more then the horrible death of a child also. Especially when it is nothing more then a pissing contest between left and right.
Well, I completely agree with you in one regard, but in another when, for example, hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children are murdered in the Sudan it is beneficial to step back and acknowledge that those deaths didn't just happen - something triggered them that could be addressed or prevented.

I don't understand why Sanrene et. al can't just refute those who try to peg this murderer as a righty, but have to go that further step of trying to falsely peg him as a lefty, thus becoming just as bad in the opposite direction. That, to me, is highly inappropriate and just partisan politics at its worst - especially considering the facts show this individual had rants across the political spectrum and significant incoherence, negating the validity of any strict ideology.

Nevertheless, perhaps mature, disciplined inquiry into larger social trends about violence and politics is in order before we get a bunch of copy cats. Perhaps this isn't the time or place, though. I don't know.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The Communist Manifesto was one of his favorite books and so was Mein Kampf so he hated Jewish people.
And the congresswoman was Jewish.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
As much as I don't like Sarah Palin, it's silly to blame it on her.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I completely agree with you in one regard, but in another when, for example, hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children are murdered in the Sudan it is beneficial to step back and acknowledge that those deaths didn't just happen - something triggered them that could be addressed or prevented.

I don't understand why Sanrene et. al can't just refute those who try to peg this murderer as a righty, but have to go that further step of trying to falsely peg him as a lefty, thus becoming just as bad in the opposite direction. That, to me, is highly inappropriate and just partisan politics at its worst.

Nevertheless, perhaps mature, disciplined inquiry into larger social trends about violence and politics is in order before we get a bunch of copy cats.
Huh? Considering it wasn't Sanrene et, that started pegging in the first place, you might want to turn that around on those that came out swinging that he was a righty, when in fact, it doesn't look that way at all. "We" were only defending against accusers that wanted to tie him with the Right/TP. And "we" did refute, by stating some of the evidence that clearly shows he is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies