Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The inflammatory rhetoric needs to be scaled back, problem is the people doing it, would lose ratings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zTN...ayer_embedded#

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
There IS, however, more than ample damning evidence of Palin's reckless use of violent imagery in political discourse. I'll wait and see what comes out before I form a final opinion, but it is interesting that Palin had the "Target List" removed from her website yesterday afternoon. She apparently thought that there was enough of a coincidence there to take action.
Oh, let's not dismiss the "targeting" done by the democrats either. In fact, it is a COMMON metaphor used in elections, sports, really throughout our culture. What about Joe Manchin (D-WV) taking a rifle and shooting a bullet through cap&tax? What about DKos and their "target list" of Blue Dogs that didn't tow the liberal line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I don't know of that incident but if it's as you state then yes, I'd have a problem with that as well. I find it hard to believe he literally wanted Bush killed .

I also don't believe Palin literally wants these 20 people killed either, BUT, she needs to realize that words have power.
Amazing how often people conveniently forget all the hatred, vitriol and violence aimed at Bush, from assassins wanted, to hanging from a noose.

Actions have power too - like maybe the dems shouldn't have "riled" people up by shoving unwanted, unpopular legislation down our throats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
B-B-B-B BUT if you talk about how Palin had a hit list in CD the thread gets closed so don't cry for that violence advocating pig too much!

If A MUSLIM site had a HIT list like Sarah's what do you think people would say...what would the FBI, the Secret Service....DO about it?????
What about a democrat shooting a rifle through dem legislation? What about the DKos with their "hitlist" and "bullseyes" targeting Blue Dog Dems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Neither Moore nor Palin are blameless.
No one but the shooter is responsible for the killings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
What about Palin's gun target map on facebook. That not enough evidence for you?
See above. You think Palin is the only one to use such imagery in an election? The election was over months ago - seems if the shooter was "inspired" by political rhetoric, it would have happened BEFORE now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and the Tea Party to name a few. They need to look in the mirror and ask themselves if they should change their tone and stick to the facts when they "inform" their listeners. Anyone carrying signs saying ""The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" are doing it, whether or not they realize it. I am all for free speech, but if you are in a position where millions of people can hear you, you need to remember how the unstable section of the population receives your message.

When you talk about concentration camps like Beck did, or call Dems communists, Marxists, "the enemy", anti-American etc, you can be assured that some people take it as fact.

And yes, MSNBC was guilty of the same when Bush was president, and I couldn't stand it.

I have never seen so much hatred in this country.
They are exposing the truth and lies while informing their listeners. Maybe we should ask obama to tone it down?

Quote:
“They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”, “Get in Their Faces!”, “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”, “Hit Back Twice As Hard”, “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“, “hand to hand combat”, “It’s time to Fight for it.”, “Punish your enemies.”, “I’m itching for a fight.”
Why are we not concerned with this inflamed rhetoric coming from the very top of the political ladder?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If he was a leftist group, why would he kill democrats?

That makes no sense. I read the quote that you put in, that could be used by someone on the right also.

I'm not saying that Beck or Palin caused this, anyone who says that has lost touch with reality. However, we have to understand that the words of public officials and public citizens have weight in the minds of those who are insane.

You should never give an excuse to insane people. Mrs. Palins "don't retreat, reload" statement is a prime example. That was a stupid thing to say, I know she wasn't promoting open rebellion against the government, but it was still a stupid thing to say in her position.

If your local loudmouth at the barber shop says it, its not going to go anywhere. But when you have voice to millions of people, you've got to be careful what you say.
Okay -but obviously ONLY if you are a conservative.

The moment someone mentions something democrats say - we cannot have censorship. Obviously music is the same way, they can put absolutely anything at all and it would not have an effect in any way on anyone so we would not want censorship. Something like "let the bodies fall" is great lyrics and couldn't ever suggest anything bad to anyone.

And since some people who smoke a lot of weed never murder, we wouldn't want to blame drugs ever.

But your right - we're going to have to take these conservative commentators and politicians out. Send them to reeducation camps or something. Prison time might work because it's possible this lunatic heard something about Palin or something she said once and that set the whole ball rolling.

So censorship of course is needed - but again, only for some, others can continue doing and saying anything at all. Looking for snipers to kill Bush of course is free speech.

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Yet he was allowed to obtain a machine gun in Arizona. We don't need no stinkin' GUN CONTROL!
A machine gun? He used a single semi-automatically hand gun with a high capacity magazine. Hell I have a concealed carry permit and regularly carry the same general type of weapon with a 16 round capacity.

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
This is obviously shaping up to be the single most shameful perfomance by the "drive by" media in my lifetime. (This includes all of the regular, talking-head contributors). Which is TRULY saying something!
And yet shame will elude these folks, of course.
Anything-goes liberalism, by definition, holds that they can say or do whatever they want, if they think it might help they side. Thus, we will not get a circumspect, thoughtful response from the leftist media (or that Tucson sheriff or other leftists). To paraphrase Rahm Emmanuel, never let a good crisis or tragedy go to waste...
Conservatism, by definition, is circumspect and waits.
Look, this is going to have terrible repercussions on the following: The Republican Party, the anti-open borders movement, and the freedom agenda. The congresswomen was a Democrat. And the media WILL be able to dig into this sociopath's background and find one or more ties, no matter how tenuous, which can be stretched to insinuate and cast aspersions on the above three causes. They are doing it already, with fervor.
The American people will buy it.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Last nite I switched between MSNBC and CNN for about an hour.
Slow media! It wasn't until this morning that the same news outlets discovered her affiliation, finally they put a "D-AZ" after her name.
The reason for her appearance at the Safeway? Probably to promote a Betty Crocker product, right?
Any info about her recent election? The campaign? Was it a close election? What was her platform? What was the opponent's platform?
The weapon used (for at least 20 bullets)?
Slow, slow media. Or they are just reluctant. Wouldn't want to offend any good, decent, patriotic Americans, would we?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Okay -but obviously ONLY if you are a conservative.

The moment someone mentions something democrats say - we cannot have censorship. Obviously music is the same way, they can put absolutely anything at all and it would not have an effect in any way on anyone so we would not want censorship. Something like "let the bodies fall" is great lyrics and couldn't ever suggest anything bad to anyone.

And since some people who smoke a lot of weed never murder, we wouldn't want to blame drugs ever.

But your right - we're going to have to take these conservative commentators and politicians out. Send them to reeducation camps or something. Prison time might work because it's possible this lunatic heard something about Palin or something she said once and that set the whole ball rolling.

So censorship of course is needed - but again, only for some, others can continue doing and saying anything at all. Looking for snipers to kill Bush of course is free speech.
I never said that anyone should be censored. You're reading to much into my post. I said that I hope that public officials and citizens should know that their words have more weight than the average American.

You and I saying something inflammatory is one thing, if we have an audience of millions, thats a different thing all together.

I include a Democratic nominee shooting a bill. Bad decision.

Guns don't belong in political campaigns, unless of course, they are talking about gun laws.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
[quote=sanrene;17328805]
Actions have power too - like maybe the dems shouldn't have "riled" people up by shoving unwanted, unpopular legislation down our throats.

They are exposing the truth and lies while informing their listeners. Maybe we should ask obama to tone it down?
QUOTE]
Here we go, good to resort to violence.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It looks like he was very influenced by the punk rock group "Anti-Flag." (According to his friends)

From wikipedia:
But you still don't get it. According to the liberals, no amount of listening to that, no kinds of music lyrics can have the slightest effect. He just preferred that kind of music but it never influenced him. Even if there is a direct link with him and that music - never mind, that's not how censorship works. We must have free speech for anti-USA music, after all -- plenty of people listen to that music and don't decide to kill people. All those people who saw Kilborn's little piece on snipers needed to kill Bush just saw the humor in that, no one could be influenced in any way of course so remember - no censorship of that.

See censorhip must be directed at only what YOU don't like. Never mind that lack of any connection between this guy and conservatives - it's the conservatives who must be silenced. Nevermind that this guy was no conservative, too bad he wasn't but this can still be exploited - because the goal is still censorship. Never mind that actual Tea Party attendees have never committed violent acts, they must be taken out, removed from the debate. Beck must be silenced, Rush must be silenced, every conservative in this country must be silenced.

You see -- THAT IS HOW CENSORSHIP is meant to work.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Someone sent this link to me, posted by the shooter on a conspiracy theory website:

Why is the year infinite in the date? , page 1

He also had others about NASA faking the Mars rover, and something about space shuttles not being real. Suffice to say not even the conspiracy theory enthusiasts could comprehend what the guy was posting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies