Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,895,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
When I referred to amenities I was talking more about things such as having a hospital or grocery store 5 minutes away or auto repair etc. Living way out as we do we tend to be better educated than some might think. We do all our own vet work and we also need to have a decent amount of paramedic ability as ambulance response to us could take a spell. We keep all our own equipment running ourselves and either raise or grow much of our own food. This is kinda what I meant by "amenities ".
In other words,you are do not rely upon others to do what needs to be done.

You do it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,142,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Suburbs of Charlotte only 30 minutes?Ummm what suburb exactly?
Charlotte is 70+ miles away,almost 1 1/2 hour trip.
Shelby, which is considered part the metro, is 30 mins away. Charlotte is only an hour. Good try, but we are Lake Lure regulars, so I'm VERY familiar with where you live!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Shelby, which is considered part the metro, is 30 mins away.
Since when?

Quote:
Charlotte is only an hour. Good try, but we are Lake Lure regulars, so I'm VERY familiar with where you live!
Well that would be because you do not live in Charlotte,you live 45 miles out of Charlotte itself.

Rutherfordton to Charlotte Airport is over 66 miles,just under 1 1/2 hours.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,212,492 times
Quote:
Distractions from life you mean?
I find it interesting that when people refer to the amenities it always seems to end up back at lots of different places to eat....

No wonder Americans are fat.
Distractions from real life? No, like, stuff. Like stores and restaurants and places where you can do things of various types.

I mean, if you want to blame cities themselves for causing Americans to be fat, you'd have a lot of trouble with all the "data" that shows that that notion is complete garbage.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Distractions from real life? No, like, stuff. Like stores and restaurants and places where you can do things of various types.
Okay,to me,those ARE distractions from your life,something to fill in the time because your life would be empty otherwise.

Quote:
I mean, if you want to blame cities themselves for causing Americans to be fat, you'd have a lot of trouble with all the "data" that shows that that notion is complete garbage.
No...I am saying when people discuss amenities,most people seem to really mean lost of different places to eat...Americans are a little obsessed with eating.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,838,353 times
Quote:
Post #50.
I stand by what I stated. Intelligence is a little iffy due to the inherent definition...not because city dwellers are any less intelligent.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,212,492 times
Quote:
Okay,to me,those ARE distractions from your life,something to fill in the time because your life would be empty otherwise.

No...I am saying when people discuss amenities,most people seem to really mean lost of different places to eat...Americans are a little obsessed with eating.
Uh huh. OK, well what I actually mean is like, amenities of every single type. This morning, for example, during my 15 minute walk to work, I left my house, went directly across the street to drop off my dry cleaning, grabbed a coffee along the way, and then was at work. On the way home I'll stop off at a bar that is right next to my workplace, then go to a bookstore, about a block away, to grab a book I've been looking to buy.

Distractions from real life, lol.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I stand by what I stated. Intelligence is a little iffy due to the inherent definition...not because city dwellers are any less intelligent.
Never stated they were LESS intelligent....but they also aren't more intelligent are they?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,838,353 times
Quote:
But as you yourself stated,the level of intelligence is iffy in an urban area...they might have wasted more years becoming educated however.
The implication that urban dwellers are less intelligent.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Uh huh. OK, well what I actually mean is like, amenities of every single type. This morning, for example, during my 15 minute walk to work, I left my house, went directly across the street to drop off my dry cleaning, grabbed a coffee along the way, and then was at work. On the way home I'll stop off at a bar that is right next to my workplace, then go to a bookstore, about a block away, to grab a book I've been looking to buy.

Distractions from real life, lol.
You sound like Seinfeld....

I can see where younger people might find cities 'exciting'...there are more distractions to fill in the time.

This morning I woke up late,took the dogs outside and to their pen,made a pot of coffee,gave my MIL her meds,had brekky,wasted time on the computer arguin with people,will be going out to get part for the tractor,pick up some stuff,then head home,get the tractor up and running,either do some land clearing or try and prep for putting in a little pond,and then probably waste even more time on the computer arguing with people and then cook dinner and wait for my wife to arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies