Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Slap on some Arby's Horsey Sauce and it probably
tastes edible I'm sure craving that stem cell
sausage
with enough condiments, even soy based "meat" can be tasty.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:33 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
There has been an artificial meat product available since World War II. It's called Spam. Whatever is in it, it can't be natural.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Peta-ians rejoice!

MAASTRICHT, The Netherlands -- Scientists are on the verge of growing artificial meat in laboratories without the need for animal slaughter, according to a report cited Thursday by The Herald Sun -- with one expert predicting a stem cell sausage might be just six months away.
Researchers say the advent of "pain-free" meat produced from stem cells could save millions of animals from the abattoir and help the environment through substantially reduced energy, land and water use.

Dutch researcher Dr. Mark Post, of Maastricht University, predicts the first synthetic sausage could be just six months away.

"I'm hopeful we can have a hamburger in a year," he told New Scientist.

Slaughter-Free Stem Cell Meat Sausage Coming Soon - BlackListedNews.com
Maybe you should read the first comment at the end of your link. Here it is:

The article states the frankenfood would save millions of animals from the abattoir, oh yeah, what will happen to those millions of animals? They will not exist. Without being able to sell market animals how could one possibly pay the taxes and payments on the land they occupy much less feed and care for the critters?
I don't think there is a market for pet steers.

You might also read the last paragraph of the link. Very interesting.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Maybe you should read the first comment at the end of your link. Here it is:

The article states the frankenfood would save millions of animals from the abattoir, oh yeah, what will happen to those millions of animals? They will not exist. Without being able to sell market animals how could one possibly pay the taxes and payments on the land they occupy much less feed and care for the critters?
I don't think there is a market for pet steers.

You might also read the last paragraph of the link. Very interesting.
It's an interesting argument.
That if we don't raise this slave race of creatures to feed us, they won't exist. Oh, but they had the privilege to exist long enough to be tortured and then murdered! I am sure that comforts them greatly. "At least I got to be alive!"

Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,032,105 times
just imagine buying a pound of franken meat and a week later it weighs 2 pounds! can or do you even kill it? does it keep growing in landfills? will leftovers last forever?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
just imagine buying a pound of franken meat and a week later it weighs 2 pounds! can or do you even kill it? does it keep growing in landfills? will leftovers last forever?
If undercooked, it would keep growing in landfills due to associative bacterial genesis.

[Bacterial genesis of preterm delivery]. [Ugeskr Laeger. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm wondering why I should care if millions of animals die?
Spoken like a "true Christian".

Old 09-04-2011, 01:41 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
There has been an artificial meat product available since World War II. It's called Spam. Whatever is in it, it can't be natural.

Spam has all the wholsome goodness of the lands it comes from (Austin Minnesota) now we also like Lutefisk too. Be glad we didn't can that and ship that to super markets. During WWII we shipped tons of spam to British along with our GIs. Often spam was the only meat available to Brits under assault from V1s, V2s and US boys looking for a good night on the town. For war time Britain it was Spam,spam,spam,spam wonderful spam glorious spam.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:46 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
I am all for anything that reduces pain and suffering.....I would gladly eat it.

I am pretty sure they will also make it taste just like the real thing without all of the bad effects meat can have on one's health too.....nothing wrong with that either.

I don't see cows, etc. becoming extinct either. There would still be people that would keep some of them around just because they like them....not because they want to eat them.

It sounds all good to me.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm wondering why I should care if millions of animals die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Spoken like a "true Christian".

Isn't that the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies