Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Peta-ians rejoice!

MAASTRICHT, The Netherlands -- Scientists are on the verge of growing artificial meat in laboratories without the need for animal slaughter, according to a report cited Thursday by The Herald Sun -- with one expert predicting a stem cell sausage might be just six months away.
Researchers say the advent of "pain-free" meat produced from stem cells could save millions of animals from the abattoir and help the environment through substantially reduced energy, land and water use.

Dutch researcher Dr. Mark Post, of Maastricht University, predicts the first synthetic sausage could be just six months away.

"I'm hopeful we can have a hamburger in a year," he told New Scientist.

Slaughter-Free Stem Cell Meat Sausage Coming Soon - BlackListedNews.com

Why not just eat Soylent Green?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Ok then. Exactly what ingredients do they use? Hmmm?

E. Coli is pleomorphic!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Ok then. Exactly what ingredients do they use? Hmmm?
*sigh*

Have you read the article?

It'll also keep the incidence of E. coli 0157:H7 down...

Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 AM

293 posts, read 719,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The stimulus reached alot of different countries. That's part of the reason it is so despised and was so ineffectual. What it actually funded did not do hardly anything for the USA.

Look it up. Grants for overseas studies were all over the place....courtesy of the stimulus.

I'm a little disappointed that everyone doesn't know this. It pays to know where your tax dollars are being spent, especially when its something like a stimulus that is not part of the every day recurring budget.

That was the stimilus money.....he/she doesn't even know about the bailout money that went to foreign banks (or should I say loot)

Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
*sigh*

Have you read the article?

It'll also keep the incidence of E. coli 0157:H7 down...
I did read it. Where are they getting the stem cells from
Exactly? I found it interesting that they didn't mention what kind of stem cells they were using to develop this synthetic frankenmeat.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Exactly? I found it interesting that they didn't mention what kind of stem cells they were using to develop this synthetic frankenmeat.
Are you joking? Seriously?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:

Oh....aborted human babies, of course!!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Nevermind I found it and it's still revolting.

I'd rather eat a veggie burger

Whatâ

Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes there is.....and it doesn't clog up your arteries and give you heart attacks like real meat does either. Why wouldn't this new product be the same?

What makes you think real meat doesn't contain nasty things that can hurt you.....like hormones, antibiotics, pesticides or undetected, early stage disease, like cancer for instance? Do you really think they inspect meat so thoroughly that you aren't eating cancer cells?
I buy my meat from the meat market next door. The meat is growth hormone/antibiotic overload and other contaminants free. I don't know that cancer cells are transmittable by eating them, never heard that therory. I would assume that this meat would be also free of these things since they get introduced via crowding and greed. You wouldn't need them.

I have eaten TVP and other 'non meat meat' and like it but it does not taste like meat, but mostly has no tasted. Reconstitue it with chicken broth and it tastes like chicken. Reconstitute it with a garlic sauce and it tastes like garlic. It's a different protien source, NOT a meat substitue unless you flavor it with meat.

If this can be done, then it will actually promote the use of meat since it will really be meat. What we eat is the muscles, and your just growing muscle mass outside of the body. Personally I'd rather have a burger made out of this than the 'meat by product' which is mixed with hamburger in a lot of cheap places. But I'm not sure its going to replace a good steak.

I remember years ago in the bbs days when one poster on a local board liked to talk about the herd of cows lounging happily in the field if we could do this, free to wander. Reality check, unless your talking about Longhorn cattle or bison (which is extremely good too) your 'normal' cows would starve. Bred to not be as agressive so they can be handled easier, they require a lot more attention. Unless there is a payoff, there aren't going to be herds of cows. Dairy, yes, but not beef.

I have to think that meat from the animal is never going to go out of style, either. So fewer and more expensive cuts of meat, but not no real meat from the hoof.

Instead of pushing people to eat no meat, and using soy "replacements" with their own problems, it's better to promote the use of small amounts of meat in dishes as part of a mix. The key is meat without hormones and other additives given to the cow to keep it healthy.

I remember back in the early days of Star Trek where people who got their 'meat' from food synthisesers or replicators were horrified at meat from an animal that some still used. It sparked quite a lot of debate back then on if there is a real difference if its the same thing by the time it reaches your plate.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Peta-ians rejoice!

MAASTRICHT, The Netherlands -- Scientists are on the verge of growing artificial meat in laboratories without the need for animal slaughter, according to a report cited Thursday by The Herald Sun -- with one expert predicting a stem cell sausage might be just six months away.
Researchers say the advent of "pain-free" meat produced from stem cells could save millions of animals from the abattoir and help the environment through substantially reduced energy, land and water use.

Dutch researcher Dr. Mark Post, of Maastricht University, predicts the first synthetic sausage could be just six months away.

"I'm hopeful we can have a hamburger in a year," he told New Scientist.

Slaughter-Free Stem Cell Meat Sausage Coming Soon - BlackListedNews.com
Blah! I am not eating meat unless there is death involved. God made me a hairless, bipedal, carnivorous ape and I make no apologies for being what I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies