Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 11:31 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The "attributing behaviors of some individuals to the whole entire race" technique is generally only used in regards to negative behaviors and is one of the main ways racism takes form these days. Generally the same is not true of positive behaviors. When Obama became president, people started questioning if he was really born in the U.S. and was really eligible for president, they weren't exactly saying "See? Black folks can become president!" Instead they were questioning how "American" he "really" is. When a Black person commits a murder, it often starts up a dialogue about how All Black People Ever are so violent and barbaric and because they have higher crime statistics racial profiling is obviously justified and yadda yadda yadda. Rarely, if ever, do we hear these same dialogues in reference to white people. Given that many people do attribute the negative behaviors of some Black people to all Black people, you can hopefully understand why someone might not want to include the race of Black person who has just committed a crime...cause it's likely to fire up another racist "see, Black people are criminals, I avoid them for a reason" dialogue, yet again.
That had more to do with his father and the fact that his mother was pregnant while overseas.

In the Fargo Forum there was the topic of race. Now Fargo is very white, and not just during winter.

I remember a black women in the article, who was living in Fargo, saying whenever there is a crime that makes the headlines, she just hopes it doesn't end up being a black person who committed it, for the reasons you describe

So I can see what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
Have you gotten your answer yet? Identify yourself however you want to, just don't force others to accept it. That's what matters.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
That had more to do with his father and the fact that his mother was pregnant while overseas.

In the Fargo Forum there was the topic of race. Now Fargo is very white, and not just during winter.

I remember a black women in the article, who was living in Fargo, saying whenever there is a crime that makes the headlines, she just hopes it doesn't end up being a black person who committed it, for the reasons you describe

So I can see what you are saying.
Really?

Because I seriously doubt that Democrats would have started questioning John McCain's eligibility to be POTUS had he won. He was actually born on the Panama Canal yet this would not have been made into an issue as the birthers have done (and continue to do)

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Really?

Because I seriously doubt that Democrats would have started questioning John McCain's eligibility to be POTUS had he won. He was actually born on the Panama Canal yet this would not have been made into an issue as the birthers have done (and continue to do)
They did when he was the nominee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/us...=1&ref=opinion

Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Are you seriously equating one article in the NY Times that discusses several presidential candidates spanning over a hundred year period with the birther firestorm that has been debunked yet continues to stagger along like a zombie lead by the Tea Party, The Donald and AZ's Sheriff Arpaio et al?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Deal?

After reading innumerable threads and comments regarding racial self-identification, lack of assimilation, and screeds about multiculturalism I thought to myself why is it that I've never read a thread or comment advocating the ending of the classification referred to as white? I mean if African American is so offensive because of its alleged inaccuracy then why not do a way with the term white, after all, white people are exactly white or anything close to it. So, in the hopes of bringing about that much touted color blind society, I would like to make the following offer.

Do away with the idea or whiteness and I will stop identifying myself as an African American and ask others to do the same.

What do you think?
Not all blacks are African American.
Many blacks are also some of the oldest families of Americans here, so the assimilation issues are strange IMO. Why not get with the mainstream program where you go to school, work, then maybe raise a family and retire as an elderly fossil like everyone else?

New Asians who come here and do well, the current new Africans who come here assimilate and kick butt like the Asians often do, meanwhile our black Americans who are born here are often floundering in Lord knows what. Seems to be dependent more than others on government employment and social services as a percentage of the population. I don't know why? Don't think it is good though.

IMO, get over yourself, others, ourselves or what ever. Get a job and do your best to make a nice life. Do the best you can. Wish others well and you hope people have the decency to wish you also well.

If something isn't working, then copy those that work well.
If something works, keep doing it.
If people can be out of the main stream and be prosperous, then by all means go for it.
If that ends up being a dead end, maybe think about changing things up.

In the end we are all people and I wish everyone the best and to have nice lives.
I don't care if you want to call yourself Afro-blah-blah-wanga-wanga-ding dong! What ever floats your boat IMO. :-)

Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Are you seriously equating one article in the NY Times that discusses several presidential candidates spanning over a hundred year period with the birther firestorm that has been debunked yet continues to stagger along like a zombie lead by the Tea Party, The Donald and AZ's Sheriff Arpaio et al?
I can't spend all day googling articles about McCain being born in Panama.

Last edited by Greg_IA; 07-15-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,324,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
My gf (Hispanic) says she's heard people refer to themselves as "Mexican-American", but it's rare. And she uses the term "Mexican" in reference to Hispanics quite often.

But again, I don't know why anyone would care about any of this...
Because it shows that they have dual loyalties, that's why. In the case of many of Mexican descent that were born here their 1st loyalty is to Mexico and it's citizens not this country.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:15 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Because it shows that they have dual loyalties, that's why. In the case of many of Mexican descent that were born here their 1st loyalty is to Mexico and it's citizens not this country.
I don't think so. My girlfriend's a perfect example. She calls herself a Mexican all the time, but she has far more negative things to say about Mexico than positive. She's "proud to be an American" however (ironically, that's something I can't stand to hear people say, and I'm white!... or Anglo-American, whatever the hell I'm allowed to call myself these days...)

Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I don't think so. My girlfriend's a perfect example. She calls herself a Mexican all the time, but she has far more negative things to say about Mexico than positive. She's "proud to be an American" however (ironically, that's something I can't stand to hear people say, and I'm white!... or Anglo-American, whatever the hell I'm allowed to call myself these days...)
My wife refers to whites as crackers. Of course she was born in Mexico and is joking....
She tells me though all prefer to live here, they have a life long loyalty to Mexico.
I think it has to do with it being next door and the ability to access it so easily.

If you compare it to years ago and people through Eilis Island from Europe, they spend a lot, came a long way and it was near impossible to get home. It was a make or break trip. For Mexicans and some from Central America it isn't the same deal.

PS: Was in Africa last month and in parts it was hard to find any black people, so when people refer to themselves as African American, unless they were born there they kind of sound stupid because Africa does not only mean black people by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies