Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I've been hiring and firing people for 20 years. That's my backup.
Unfortunately, there's no evidence to suggest that you cannot "unjerk" yourself. It is a behavior that can be modified just like any other. It has to be initiated by a personal desire to change, just like any other bad habit you wish to break.

Quote:
No, it isn't. While I certainly believe that people can change over time, some really can't. Medication can treat a lot of stuff, but people with significant characterlogical issues are not worth the effort. Ever.
If they have a chemical imbalance, perhaps. Most do not suffer as such.

Quote:
If they can't work and play well with others, they are worthless, expendable and probably worse - they are a liability. You play for the team, or you don't play. Period.
Not disagreeing with this, just disagreeing with the premise that a jerk cannot be unjerked. Personally, I've known lots of jerks that didn't work well in groups. At least, they weren't liked. But, they got the job done and made the company money. That's what mattered in the end and what got them a seat in the corner office as the jerk boss no one likes.

If you're referring to the esoteric techie who refuses to share code or processes, then I would agree with you. If you're talking about the arrogant senior systems architect who gets s**t done but isn't liked by most people, I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This wouldn't make any sense. Many people who go on to be doctors study English Lit or another one of the humanities.

Also why would those who go to "mediocre" schools be responsible for a higher interest rate? That does not make sense either. Do you think that most electrical engineers go to MIT? What if the person who studied films went to Harvard? I guess they could then get...say 5%. Yeah right
It doesn't make sense that people who have a higher risk of not paying back a loan should pay a higher interest rate? Do you have ANY concept how rates on any loan EXCEPT student loans are formulated?

I suppose you also think it doesn't make sense to charge people with poor credit scores higher interest rates as well.

The greater the chance of payback, the lower the interest rate. This is risk management 101.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It doesn't make sense that people who have a higher risk of not paying back a loan should pay a higher interest rate? Do you have ANY concept how rates on any loan EXCEPT student loans are formulated?

I suppose you also think it doesn't make sense to charge people with poor credit scores higher interest rates as well.

The greater the chance of payback, the lower the interest rate. This is risk management 101.
Certainly it might (note use of word) make sense to charge a higher rate of interest to people who have a higher risk of not paying back a loan a higher rate. How do you determine that in student loans?

Most people who take out student loans probably have no credit score whatsoever. They're like 18 years old.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Unfortunately, there's no evidence to suggest that you cannot "unjerk" yourself.

Believe what you like, I've got a lifetime of experience that suggests otherwise.

Anyway, it's not worth my time or trouble. I'm not running a therapy clinic here. I'll just hire someone else.

Quote:
It is a behavior that can be modified just like any other. It has to be initiated by a personal desire to change, just like any other bad habit you wish to break.
Do you know what I mean by characterlogical issues?

Quote:
If they have a chemical imbalance, perhaps. Most do not suffer as such.
It's not my problem. I've got an office to run and plenty of problems without hiring jerks to make it worse.

It's bad enough all the female employees seem to have synchronized their menstrual cycles.

Quote:
Not disagreeing with this, just disagreeing with the premise that a jerk cannot be unjerked. Personally, I've known lots of jerks that didn't work well in groups. At least, they weren't liked. But, they got the job done and made the company money. That's what mattered in the end and what got them a seat in the corner office as the jerk boss no one likes.
In the business I am in, such people are a serious liability. They are simply not worth the money they make generate.

Quote:
If you're referring to the esoteric techie who refuses to share code or processes, then I would agree with you.
You mean the Mole People? I occassionally see them pop their heads up out of their cubicles like prarie dogs, but they are more or less cordoned off from the rest of the corporation. We don't let them answer phones or talk to other humans or let them out during daylight hours. But we aren't in the IT business, so there's only a handful of them.

Quote:
If you're talking about the arrogant senior systems architect who gets s**t done but isn't liked by most people, I disagree.
My business is very, very political and very, very public. I simply cannot afford to have buttholes on the staff.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Unfortunately, there's no evidence to suggest that you cannot "unjerk" yourself. It is a behavior that can be modified just like any other. It has to be initiated by a personal desire to change, just like any other bad habit you wish to break.

LOL Well, I don't know ANY employer who will patiently wait until a new employee decides to "un-jerk" themselves.

Are you arguing just to argue?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL Well, I don't know ANY employer who will patiently wait until a new employee decides to "un-jerk" themselves.

Seriously.

She's arguing sympathy for jerks. Why?

GTFO is all I have for them.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I'm saying that a person can unjerk themselves in between jobs or after a swift kick in the butt. Plus, many do quite well as jerks, so long as they make money and establish provable results.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Believe what you like, I've got a lifetime of experience that suggests otherwise.

Anyway, it's not worth my time or trouble. I'm not running a therapy clinic here. I'll just hire someone else.
Ah yes, the "believe what you like" reverse psychology tactic. Sorry, not buying the anecdote, because I have a lifetime of experience backing me up.

Quote:
It's not my problem. I've got an office to run and plenty of problems without hiring jerks to make it worse.

It's bad enough all the female employees seem to have synchronized their menstrual cycles.
LOL, good one.

Quote:
In the business I am in, such people are a serious liability. They are simply not worth the money they make generate.
Probably sales or something similar. Salespeople don't get by being jerks, but then again a dog could be trained to be a good salesper...animal.

Quote:
You mean the Mole People? I occassionally see them pop their heads up out of their cubicles like prarie dogs, but they are more or less cordoned off from the rest of the corporation. We don't let them answer phones or talk to other humans or let them out during daylight hours. But we aren't in the IT business, so there's only a handful of them.
Riiiiiight...mole people.

Well, I guess I'm talking about derivatives traders and other seven figure bonus folks. Those were the jerks who got s**t done. Though I'm sure the constant CD posters will claim they're ALL high six figure earners...riiiiiiiight.

There is a CD axiom...online bragging about success is inversely correlated with their real-life success. It's sort of a rule (in before you say you're the exception)

Quote:
My business is very, very political and very, very public. I simply cannot afford to have buttholes on the staff.
Yeah, companies that don't produce anything substantive other than PR/lobbyist fluff are like that.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Well, this begs for a comment or two about what the most USEFUL degrees are. Besides the obvious...medicine will always be a useful degree, etc....

Computer science degrees will guarantee a job! Becoming a master of Cryptology will, too. These folks, one of which is in my family are much in demand by "data mining" facilities.

NSA, Microsoft and I read that Facebook is even building a "data mining" (snooping on citizens) facility, reportedly in Oregon!

What else? what degrees do, or dang-near do guarantee a job?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Well, this begs for a comment or two about what the most USEFUL degrees are. Besides the obvious...medicine will always be a useful degree, etc....

Computer science degrees will guarantee a job! Becoming a master of Cryptology will, too. These folks, one of which is in my family are much in demand by "data mining" facilities.

NSA, Microsoft and I read that Facebook is even building a "data mining" (snooping on citizens) facility, reportedly in Oregon!

What else? what degrees do, or dang-near do guarantee a job?
^ this

My adviser is constantly shmoozed by Google, the CIA, and NSA to hire his students after graduation. Not sure what I think about it yet, but the career fair yesterday was very telling that my area is in demand to the extreme. Oak Ridge might be my next stop, or a couple of postdocs in Germany I've been eyeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies