Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times

Advertisements

hmmm we're behind the rest of the world not because we have don't have enough people with "useful" degrees, we're behind the rest of the world because we place no emphasis ON EDUCATION and INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY. some of the responses to this thread and the OP in general prove this point

knowledge is never useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're backpedaling and I'm tempted to report you for a personal attack. You make accusastions about me and then say you don't feel like going through my posts for an example of my so-called "helicopter parenting". The above is not the issue AT ALL regarding what you said about my parenting, which you "roundly criticized" and said you fear for my kids when they grow up. They are 24 and 27 and they're doing OK.

I didn't roundly criticize summers73, though he has certainly criticized others on this thread, and many, many people on this forum. I said non-parents think they know everything about parenting.
Quote:

Possibly true, but your posts elicit what i'd consider to be the most unapologetic, helicopter parent-type mentality of anyone i've seen on this forum. You've made many references to what you and your hubby do for your kids, and many times its caught my attention to the point that it makes me feel sorry for those kids and what they can expect when they hit the real world.

With that being said, they're your kids. Do what you want. But i'm not sure you're exactly on solid ground when criticizing others, either.
This is not a personal attack. This is an observation based on posts that you have willingly put forth on the forum for all to read and judge. If I were set out to personally attack you, I would have dug up your posts and criticized every single one of them to make my point. You just took it personally because you believe the way you have conducted your parental responsibilities regarding education is such that they should be untouchable. When you post your parental responsibilities and actions on a forum, they are no longer untouchable. Luckily for you, i'm not bored enough to go that deep. You're just surprised that someone such as myself would actually remember the posts you've put forth and would bring it up in another conversation.

I'll remind you that this is not the only time you've brought forth the "you don't have kids, you don't know what you're talking about" argument. I'll be glad to show you if you don't beleive me.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
You are joking about the racist part right?
I was joking about the whole part, I thought that would be apparent.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
I am out of school, already studied architectural engineering, but still study the guidelines among that career path. Continuing education is very important.

I don't disagree with people pursing degrees in English, journalism, psychology, etc. I thank my school for making us take a lot of electives. Many students complained because it was them trying to force the students to pay more and stay in their school longer. However, learning the basics of Freud and Religion studies made me have a more well rounded education. You can tell when you work in a firm with somebody that just had a 2 year technical degree that just taught them the basics of what they need to know for the job they are being trained for. They can sound completely ignorant in many aspects where you can see how those simple elective classes in social and humanity classes helped pay off. One thing I hate about engineers is they are clueless when it comes to the arts, but a PSU architectural engineering degree helped me study arts as well as technical aspects.

But I know many people who graduated with what would be considered a "useless degree" and perform highly for society. My one friend graduated in Music and Psychology. He of course got a masters, and now teaches. But the wealth of knowledge he has that I don't would be a major plus. Education isn't all for training, and a smart person would realize that. Sometimes studying the behavior of humans is interesting, and we just want to understand it regardless of how it pays.
Actually we had to take "core" courses that forced us engineers to learn more about other things to make us "more rounded" as individuals.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with someone paying for their OWN KIDS' education? what's it you? don't most parents pay for their kids' schooling?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The ultimate waste of money is on a degree that does not lend itself to career opportunities. In that case, I would simply self-educate and save a boatload of money.
Merely opinion.

I don't consider any education a waste. Not all of us chase the almighty dollar nor do we believe our salaries are indicative of the quality of life one lives.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
hmmm we're behind the rest of the world not because we have don't have enough people with "useful" degrees, we're behind the rest of the world because we place no emphasis ON EDUCATION and INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY. some of the responses to this thread and the OP in general prove this point

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post

You're right, knowledge in and of itself is never useless.

What's useless is obtaining certain types of knowledge and expecting to be able to pay the bills with it. When millions of students obtain degrees using taxpayer dollars, and then defaulting on the loans because of the silliness of thinking the degree would afford them a living, then it becomes the public interest to debate the pragamatism and logicality of obtaining degrees that burden society instead of promoting its progress.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is not a personal attack. This is an observation based on posts that you have willingly put forth on the forum for all to read and judge. If I were set out to personally attack you, I would have dug up your posts and criticized every single one of them to make my point. You just took it personally because you believe the way you have conducted your parental responsibilities regarding education is such that they should be untouchable. When you post your parental responsibilities and actions on a forum, they are no longer untouchable. Luckily for you, i'm not bored enough to go that deep. You're just surprised that someone such as myself would actually remember the posts you've put forth and would bring it up in another conversation.

I'll remind you that this is not the only time you've brought forth the "you don't have kids, you don't know what you're talking about" argument. I'll be glad to show you if you don't beleive me.
Why don't you do just that?

And even if I've said that, does that mean you have to go off and call me a "helicopter parent"? Or are you going to go and delete that post so you can deny that you attacked my parenting?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Even with a "useless" degree, I believe the key to being successful is mobility. Many new college grads are constrained because they don't explore the option of moving to a new city or a new state to pursue the perfect job. Often its because family or relationships limit their options, which I think is unfortunate. In my view, the best possible scenario is to graduate college single in order to pursue that best possible job to get a foot in the door. Once you gain experience, the degree itself becomes less relevant. Mobility constrained people face a more uphill battle in achieving career goals, in my view.
I agree with this. Many people are, for one reason or another, unwilling to move. There are some that are unable to move (caring for elderly parents, not enough cash to move, etc). But more often than not its an unwillingness to move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies