Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's a sad commentary on America today.

One WWII Vet, one Korean War vet and a Vietnam vet.

Three people argued that the Constitution is too old to care about.

And we wonder why we are in trouble.

Probably a high percentage of posters on this forum couldn't tell you how many letters there are in the alphabet, either.

And it doesn't matter. It's the spelling and punctuation that count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I know. And I find that sad.

During class the other day my teacher got to talking about President Tyler and he asked the class if they knew what period he served as president and I was the only one who knew. He was shocked that ANYONE knew at all. I happen to be really into History and whatnot and want to learn more everyday.

I also like Politics. I wish more people felt the same about the history of their country as they do about their favorite teams and the last episode of the Kardashian show.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

During class the other day my teacher go to talking about President Tyler and he asked the class if they knew what period he served as president and I was the only one who knew. He was shocked that ANYONE knew at all. I happen to be really into History and whatnot and want to learn more everyday.

I also like Politics. I wish more people felt the same about the history of their country as they do about their favorite teams and the last episode of the Kardashian show.
I know John Tyler was the 10th president and was the first one to become president by death. He was the VEEP. I was about to type that I don't remember who died to make him president, but the slogan Tippeecanoe and Tyler too just gurgled up in my mind. Wasn't Tipeecanoe a nickname for guy -- he was a military officer and ran as the "hard cider candidate"? I still don't know the era, but this all sounds pretty early post-Jacksonian ... 1830s or so?

(I only know this because I picked John Tyler for a report I had to do on presidents in third grade. I wanted to go with one of the minor ones.)

Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Most only know what they are taught. They don't teach things like that pesky Constitution to anybody anymore. Government class is a liberal teachers opening to indoctrinate folks into their world of class warfare, ridicule and hatred of anyone who doesn't agree with them.

You really don't have a clue what's taught in high school Government classes.

And OP, like the others, I have to decline the invitation you so graciously sent me for the gathering at your house next week. I'm having a root canal done at that exact time. Again, sorry.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: extra word

Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

During class the other day my teacher got to talking about President Tyler and he asked the class if they knew what period he served as president and I was the only one who knew. He was shocked that ANYONE knew at all. I happen to be really into History and whatnot and want to learn more everyday.

I made a light bulb puppet of Martin Van Buren when I was in Elementary School but John Tyler was my back up. MVB was easier because he had less hair

Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
This is what happens when we don't use the amendment process as it was supposed to be done.

Instead we elect officials who we believe have our best interests in mind, and they used "implied intent" and the "interpretive" view of the constitution to do whatever they feel is necessary at the time.

Now that doesn't mean that there is some evil plot to destroy the country, I believe that most elected officials have the best interests in mind when they do most of what they do. But then that power grab is used by the next person in line, and the problem just grows from there.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I made a light bulb puppet of Martin Van Buren when I was in Elementary School but John Tyler was my back up. MVB was easier because he had less hair
lol... great story.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's a sad commentary on America today.

One WWII Vet, one Korean War vet and a Vietnam vet.

Three people argued that the Constitution is too old to care about.

And we wonder why we are in trouble.
We're "in trouble" just because you didn't invite a smarter group of people to your house?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
lol... great story.
Thanks. Everyone else chose a Prez linked with money. I actually decided to do some research (which consisted of asking the teacher "which President has never been made in your class?").

Of course I was also an a**hole in ES so that was one of 4 days I was not sent to the Principal's Office in 3rd grade. Actually I am still an a**hole

Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
16 people at my house tonight and only one other person knew how many Constitutional amendments there are.
The story (possibly apocryphal) is told of the journalist who finished a long interview of Albert Einstein by asking him if he might be allowed to call later if he had follow up questions. Einstein generously agreed, got up from his chair and walked over to a bookshelf where he pulled down a telephone directory and began to look up his phone number to give the reporter.

"Excuse me," ventured the journalist. "But you're supposed to be the smartest person alive... and you don't know your own telephone number?"

Einstein smiled and replied, "I never memorize anything that I can look up."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies