Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
So you will know if your rights are being violated. It's a pretty simple concept actually.

Well when you have 1/5 of all graduating seniors unable to read their own diploma what does that tell ya?

We are in trouble 'cause this country in general doesn't give two figs about knowledge, or important issues that will affect them. They care about ignorant things like Snookie and the "fooseball" game, and who's screwing who on some reality show.

Most recent ones?! The newest ratified amendment was in 1971!

There are six unratified and of those, two are unable to be ratified due to expiration dates.

I know some people can't tell you what those are either, most are either in HS right now, or recently graduated from HS.

I have copies of the Constitution, Articles of Confederation, and Bill of Rights on our living room wall, along with other historical documents and pictures and such; I am a FIRM believer in the study of history, and it's disgusting to me that some Americans are afforded liberties they are either unaware of or can't be bothered to learn about. Willful ignorance is the worst issue this country has.
1) I completely challenge your assertion that 20% of all highschool grads are illiterate.
2) I know what my rights are, I don't have the magical trivia question answer is for the number though.
3) I am pretty sure you have some holes in your knowledge too. We all do.
4) I completely agree that there are a lot of clueless idiots out there and we are not a nation of academics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,137,042 times
Quote:
So you will know if your rights are being violated. It's a pretty simple concept actually. . .

Most recent ones?! The newest ratified amendment was in 1971!. . .
The 27th amendment was ratified in 1992.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
Who cares about the number?

Does someone understand the basis of the First Amendment? That's an important thing because it goes to the substance of the First Amendment. Does someone know how many words are in the First Amendment? Who cares, that's numerical and unimportant. It's trivia.

That the Constitutional is the structural bedrock of our government is important. That it can be amended in an estensive process requiring supermajorities of each house of Congress and state legislatures is important. Familiarity with certain Amendments, such as the Bill of Rights and the Reconstruction Amendments, are very important. These are issues of substance. Knowing whether there have been 27 or 28 amendments to date is not important. There's no substance there, just a matter of counting.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:21 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Most constitutional amendments, especially the more recent ones, are uninteresting and hard to remember. Things like congressional pay and presidential term limits simply don't apply to most people. The crucial amendments are the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth. They're cited in Supreme Court decisions and affect the way we live.
I've always felt bad for the Third. Hardly ever cited.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
So you will know if your rights are being violated. It's a pretty simple concept actually.

Well when you have 1/5 of all graduating seniors unable to read their own diploma what does that tell ya?

We are in trouble 'cause this country in general doesn't give two figs about knowledge, or important issues that will affect them. They care about ignorant things like Snookie and the "fooseball" game, and who's screwing who on some reality show.

Most recent ones?! The newest ratified amendment was in 1971!

There are six unratified and of those, two are unable to be ratified due to expiration dates.

I know some people can't tell you what those are either, most are either in HS right now, or recently graduated from HS.

I have copies of the Constitution, Articles of Confederation, and Bill of Rights on our living room wall, along with other historical documents and pictures and such; I am a FIRM believer in the study of history, and it's disgusting to me that some Americans are afforded liberties they are either unaware of or can't be bothered to learn about. Willful ignorance is the worst issue this country has.
Perhaps you need a more recent update then. The year to which you refer, 1971, saw the ratification of our 26th amendment, establishing 18 as the minimum voting age. Twenty one years later, in 1992, an amendment to limit the way congress can vote in pay increases, which was proposed along with the original Bill of Rights, was finally ratified, making it the 27th.

Since you clearly didn't know how many amendments there are, or when they were ratified, can you be sure that your rights have not been violated?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:

It tells me you're making up "statistics" and tossing them out like facts.

Ask your husband if 1/5 of the troops in his unit are illiterate.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
For those people not to care, where do we start. You just posted something most concerning. Guess, the first time I heard that President Bush called it a G*d D*mn piece of paper I was shocked and now I see he has plenty of company.

Where are we going...............

hate to say it!!! but we are heading down a very stinky road

this is where we are heading...>>

Never Tailgate A Sewage Wagon - YouTube

Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
I am interested in politics and political freedom, but I don't fill my head with such facts. I cannot even understand why it is pertinent to know how many amendments there are. It is important to understand our constitution, and it is important to understand the importance of the controls on amending it, but I don't see any value in knowing how many there have been over time.

It is the spirit of laws and governance that is critical.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I've always felt bad for the Third. Hardly ever cited.
Among the least cited parts of the entire Constitution.

Third Amendment

Quote:
Pity the Third Amendment. The other amendments of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights inspire public adoration and volumes of legal research. Meanwhile, the Third Amendment languishes in comparative oblivion. The scant attention that it does receive usually fails to serve it well. Lawyers twist it to fit absurd claims, the popular press subjects it to ridicule, and academics relegate it to footnotes. Is this any way to treat a member of the Bill of Rights?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Among the least cited parts of the entire Constitution.

Third Amendment
I suppose some pissed off Army wife could kick her husband out of the house, get a restraining order against him, and if he violates the restraining order she could make it a Federal case by citing her 3rd Ammendment Rights were violated.

Seriously, the 3rd Ammendment is one of the BOR that is actually upheld rather well. When we descend into mass civil disorder it may become applicable - and we had better defend it when that occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies