Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Thanks. Everyone else chose a Prez linked with money. I actually decided to do some research (which consisted of asking the teacher "which President has never been made in your class?").

Of course I was also an a**hole in ES so that was one of 4 days I was not sent to the Principal's Office in 3rd grade. Actually I am still an a**hole
I had almost the exact same experience for my third grade presidential report .. I wanted to pick one of the obscure ones too. I was also always in trouble... when I wasn't hitting the books, I was hitting the girls with crayons, as I seem to recall. I was more of a little **** than an a****** I think, but you and I probably would have gotten along well in third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's a sad commentary on America today.

One WWII Vet, one Korean War vet and a Vietnam vet.

Three people argued that the Constitution is too old to care about.

And we wonder why we are in trouble.
Party over by 11pm. Fun.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The story (possibly apocryphal) is told of the journalist who finished a long interview of Albert Einstein by asking him if he might be allowed to call later if he had follow up questions. Einstein generously agreed, got up from his chair and walked over to a bookshelf where he pulled down a telephone directory and began to look up his phone number to give the reporter.

"Excuse me," ventured the journalist. "But you're supposed to be the smartest person alive... and you don't know your own telephone number?"

Einstein smiled and replied, "I never memorize anything that I can look up."
Notice how no one knows phone numbers anymore since cellphones became more popular? Use to be that i knew several phone numbers by memory. Now i know maybe 2...tops.

I don't doubt that this story is true.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The story (possibly apocryphal) is told of the journalist who finished a long interview of Albert Einstein by asking him if he might be allowed to call later if he had follow up questions. Einstein generously agreed, got up from his chair and walked over to a bookshelf where he pulled down a telephone directory and began to look up his phone number to give the reporter.

"Excuse me," ventured the journalist. "But you're supposed to be the smartest person alive... and you don't know your own telephone number?"

Einstein smiled and replied, "I never memorize anything that I can look up."
Exactly!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Most constitutional amendments, especially the more recent ones, are uninteresting and hard to remember. Things like congressional pay and presidential term limits simply don't apply to most people. The crucial amendments are the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth. They're cited in Supreme Court decisions and affect the way we live.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It is painful to see certain posters dismiss any study of the Constitution as a "republican" thing. It is an American thing. Men and women died so that paper could be written and they have died to defend it ever since. Reading an understanding the document should be a priority for all Americans.
We're joking. Lighten up, Francis.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,850 times
Quote:

Because people are too stubborn to see the truth behind that statement?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:

I'd be more alarmed if a bunch of people can't name the three branches of government, or generally describe at least several of the first 10 amendments.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why is it important for the average American to know how many Constitutional amendments there are?
So you will know if your rights are being violated. It's a pretty simple concept actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It is painful to see certain posters dismiss any study of the Constitution as a "republican" thing. It is an American thing. Men and women died so that paper could be written and they have died to defend it ever since. Reading an understanding the document should be a priority for all Americans.
Well when you have 1/5 of all graduating seniors unable to read their own diploma what does that tell ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We're "in trouble" just because you didn't invite a smarter group of people to your house?
We are in trouble 'cause this country in general doesn't give two figs about knowledge, or important issues that will affect them. They care about ignorant things like Snookie and the "fooseball" game, and who's screwing who on some reality show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Most constitutional amendments, especially the more recent ones, are uninteresting and hard to remember. Things like congressional pay and presidential term limits simply don't apply to most people. The crucial amendments are the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth. They're cited in Supreme Court decisions and affect the way we live.
Most recent ones?! The newest ratified amendment was in 1971!

There are six unratified and of those, two are unable to be ratified due to expiration dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'd be more alarmed if a bunch of people can't name the three branches of government, or generally describe at least several of the first 10 amendments.
I know some people can't tell you what those are either, most are either in HS right now, or recently graduated from HS.

I have copies of the Constitution, Articles of Confederation, and Bill of Rights on our living room wall, along with other historical documents and pictures and such; I am a FIRM believer in the study of history, and it's disgusting to me that some Americans are afforded liberties they are either unaware of or can't be bothered to learn about. Willful ignorance is the worst issue this country has.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:47 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:

I find your logic flawed. I can quickly look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies