Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:20 PM

758 posts, read 591,433 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
private business, not the federals business. if the company does not get federal loans, then they should be allowed to discriminate as much or as little as they want.
No, private businesses shouldn't be allowed to discriminate, either. Despite what Romney says, corporations are not people. They're not above the law, and the rules should apply to them as well. I'd rather have more government than corporations trying to dictate what goes on in this country. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Quote:
dont say india and china for the oil problem, they use sour crude and not light sweet like the USA does. 2 different types of crude.
Actually, I will say China and India because the oil must be extracted from the earth somehow. Also, I explained that the President has no control over the price of oil. That all has to do with speculators on Wall Street who need stricter regulations. I wish the President would nationalize the oil companies, but he can't.

Quote:
current law enforcement is nothing more than a police state, and they should all be fired and replaced with only sheriffs and their deputies.
We need the police department, sheriffs, state troopers, US Marshalls, and the FBI going. Please tell me you're not one of those sovereign citizens.

Quote:
decriminalize all current illegal drugs and fired the entire dea as well.
Yes, I agree with you on this one. You won't hear any argument from me on that.

Quote:
I do not mind people being on welfare IF they need it, but having people on welfare for 3-5 generations is just plain stupid.
First of all, welfare started back during the 60's so that debunks your whole theory right there about people being on welfare for 3-5 generations. I just explained to you that Bill Clinton reformed welfare to where the max anyone can be on it is two years.

Quote:
just because a woman can spread her legs and crank out 15 kids, does not mean the goverment owes her anything at all, except a class on contraception.
Oh, of course! Typical conservative talk. It's always the woman's fault. There's never any blame placed on the man who didn't bother wearing a rubber. The only woman I know of that cranked out 15 or more kids is Momma Duggar. Also, maybe they should start castrating all the deadbeat dads. What a woman does with her body is nobody's business. If you Libertarians want to talk about getting government out of our private lives, start with the abortion issue and gay marriages.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Where to start?

Do you have a website for the teabagger organization?

I've only heard the term used as a derogatory. Didn't realize such and organization exists.

Corporations comprise only a small number of business enterprises in our country...

As to corporations dictating what happens... how is this even possible when only citizens have the power of the ballot box?

I agree that the President doesn't control oil prices... just fail to understand why this was conveniently forgotten when Bush was President?

As to law enforcement... there are hundreds of overlapping agencies with law enforcement powers just in my State...

Just try being a small business fully intending to follow the rules and be caught between competing law enforcement agencies and/or jurisdictions...

California has led decriminalization of drugs... it is the Federal Government not respecting the will of the people.

Welfare has been around for generations... for a time, I managed a number of low income rental units and it was not uncommon to have 4 generations receiving housing benefits... after awhile... it becomes a way of life and transcends generations.

A typical example would be a single parent with a child... the child becomes pregnant as a teen and is repeated and so continues the process... so a Mom on welfare gives birth to a child in 1960 that gives birth in 1975 that gives birth in 1990 that gives birth in 2005... something to be said for being a grandparent at 32...

I don't think anyone really cares what a person does as long as it doesn't negatively impact others... I'm a firm believer in live and let live.

If the Dugar woman wants to have a big family and can support them... good for her...

The line is crossed when the taxpayers foot the bill... then of course they have something to say... what's wrong with that?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Where to start?

Do you have a website for the teabagger organization?

I've only heard the term used as a derogatory. Didn't realize such and organization exists.

Corporations comprise only a small number of business enterprises in our country...

As to corporations dictating what happens... how is this even possible when only citizens have the power of the ballot box?

I agree that the President doesn't control oil prices... just fail to understand why this was conveniently forgotten when Bush was President?

As to law enforcement... there are hundreds of overlapping agencies with law enforcement powers just in my State...

Just try being a small business fully intending to follow the rules and be caught between competing law enforcement agencies and/or jurisdictions...

California has led decriminalization of drugs... it is the Federal Government not respecting the will of the people.

Welfare has been around for generations... for a time, I managed a number of low income rental units and it was not uncommon to have 4 generations receiving housing benefits... after awhile... it becomes a way of life and transcends generations.

A typical example would be a single parent with a child... the child becomes pregnant as a teen and is repeated and so continues the process... so a Mom on welfare gives birth to a child in 1960 that gives birth in 1975 that gives birth in 1990 that gives birth in 2005... something to be said for being a grandparent at 32...

I don't think anyone really cares what a person does as long as it doesn't negatively impact others... I'm a firm believer in live and let live.

If the Dugar woman wants to have a big family and can support them... good for her...

The line is crossed when the taxpayers foot the bill... then of course they have something to say... what's wrong with that?
I've never heard tea bagger used as a derogatory term, but if that's the intent then good. It's not like they don't make disparaging remarks about Obama all the time or Muslims. If they can't take it, they shouldn't dish it.

Corporations may comprise only a small number of people, but they have way too much power. Lobbyists are what's buying our government, and the tea baggers got lots of their funding from corporate America.

As for the law enforcement agencies overlapping, I believe you on that one. I never said they shouldn't have compartmentalized government where each entity has its own specific duty. That would be more than alright with me. As for the welfare moms having kids or whatever, I never see the fathers get punished.

The last part does have some merit. I don't mind paying taxes as long as it's for the right purpose. The line is crossed when we the middle class have to foot the bill while the rich get all the tax cuts and we're sending our children to war while they try and run the show.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Here is how the income tax bracket would look if it were up to me.

Less than $20,000 = 7%
$20,001- $30,000 = 7-8%
$30,001- $40,000 = 8-9%
$40,001- $50,000 = 9-10%
$50,001- $60,000 = 10-11%
$60,001- $70,000 = 11-12%
$70,001- $80,000 = 12-13%
$80,001- $90,000 = 13-14%
$90,001- $100,000 = 14-15%
$100,001- $110,000 = 15-16%
$110,001- $120,000 = 16-17%
$120,001- $130,000 = 17-18%
$130,001- $140,000 = 18-19%
$140,001- $150,000 = 19-20%
$150,001- $160,000 = 20-21%
$160,001- $170,000 = 21-22%
$170,001- $180,000 = 22-23%
$180,001- $190,000 = 23-24%
$190,001- $200,000 = 24-25%
$200,001- $210,000 = 25-26%
$210,001- $220,000 = 26-27%
$220,001- $230,000 = 27-28%
$230,001- $240,000 = 28-29%
$240,001- $250,000 = 29-30%
$250,001- $260,000 = 30-31%
$260,001- $270,000 = 31-32%
$270,001- $280,000 = 32-33%
$280,001- $290,000 = 33-34%
$290,001- $300,000 = 34-35%
$300,001- $310,000 = 35-36%
$310,001- $320,000 = 36-37%
$320,001- $330,000 = 37-38%
$330,001- $340,000 = 38-39%
$340,001- $350,000 = 39-40%
$350,001- $360,000 = 40-41%
$360,001- $370,000 = 41-42%
$370,001- $380,000 = 42-43%
$380,001- $390,000 = 43-44%
$390,001- $400,000 = 44-45%
$400,001- $410,000 = 45-46%
$410,001- $420,000 = 46-47%
$420,001- $430,001 = 47-48%
$430,001- $440,000 = 48-49%
$440,001- $450,000 = 49-50%
$450,001 and over = 50%

Also, I'd have them pay income taxes either weekly or biweekly depending on their paychecks and give them back the difference each time. Anyone who has an offshore account can pay the difference each time they make a transaction. That's how I would rewrite the tax codes.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
People say they want our schools to improve everywhere I go and look. They petition for better health care and better roads. Many desire universal medicare because we've seen the faults in the regular system. Teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers, military personnel, and government workers all demand higher salaries. Countless Americans crave these amenities, yet nobody wants to pay the tax dollars to support them. Isn't that ironic how so many want these services without their taxes raised?

How else do you think they'll come about? Do you honestly think Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Donald Trump, or Rupert Murdoch will spend their earnings to support these programs? Isn't it ironic how few and far between Americans are willing to pitch in? Further, I hear them harp about taxes in Europe and Canada being sky high. Newsflash, everybody! Those nations have superior medicare and education compared to ours.
It's amazing how they've managed to prolong and improve their compatibility after their economies were destroyed during World War II. Has anyone else taken note of how many Americans want a deal for nothing?
Thanks for so casually overlooking how much of the rebuilding of those destroyed economies after WW II was accomplished with American $$$ and effort. Care to guess how many got a deal for nothing back then?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Thanks for so casually overlooking how much of the rebuilding of those destroyed economies after WW II was accomplished with American $$$ and effort. Care to guess how many got a deal for nothing back then?
That was then; this is now. Thank you in return for overlooking the fact that our infrastructure is 35 years outdated while theirs are up to par and Germany has already been revamping their economies. Yes, they did borrow money from us with the Marshall Plan, but they spent it wisely. They paid us back the money they owed us. Look at all the money we're borrowing from China and wasting. Those countries in Europe also get more bang for their buck. I knew right away they paid more in taxes because they have better services. Nothing in this world is free.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
Actually we've been cutting money from education for years and pouring it into defense. That all started under Reagan. Many schools in inner cities are way underfunded which is one of many reasons why they're turning into dropout factories. Texas has laid off hundreds of thousands of teachers due to them cutting back on education.
not true about cutting spending on education.

Current expenditures for public elementary and secondary education, by state or jurisdiction: Selected years, 1969-70 through 2007-08

on inner city funding:
http://www.coachisright.com/blaming-...0%99t-hold-up/

i don't know where all the money is going-perhaps with all the illegal immigrants in this country we have to spend much more in resources to educate everyone. (including teaching english), or maybe there is just more fraud in the system now.

maybe the administrators make a lot more, or perhaps there are a lot more administrators.

who knows where it goes?

as far as college, i think students who have gone into debt understand the high cost of secondary education in this country.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
I've never heard tea bagger used as a derogatory term, but if that's the intent then good. It's not like they don't make disparaging remarks about Obama all the time or Muslims. If they can't take it, they shouldn't dish it.
Living in the SF Bay Area isn't exactly a conservative bastion... I have seen the news reports of Tea Party protesting at Sacramento and it appears they state their message and then go home... can't recall anyone getting arrested or the Capital Park Police having to deal with litter or the defacing of public property.

Quote:
Corporations may comprise only a small number of people, but they have way too much power. Lobbyists are what's buying our government, and the tea baggers got lots of their funding from corporate America.
I'm by no means an expert on the subject of lobbyist... don't all Washington lobbyist have to register and are subject to restrictions/limits?

As to the Tea Party... I will have to take your word for it that they are funded by corporate America... not really sure how corps could pull this off with the corporate accounting rules and transparency required.

Quote:
As for the law enforcement agencies overlapping, I believe you on that one. I never said they shouldn't have compartmentalized government where each entity has its own specific duty. That would be more than alright with me. As for the welfare moms having kids or whatever, I never see the fathers get punished.
Don't know how you can punish someone that drops out of the system unless they do time... which is a very expensive proposition.

Some people are judgement proof... they live under the radar...

A side comment... and this is by all means not representative of all families receiving subsidized housing... there would be certain units that would repeatedly go through the same cycle every month... the boyfriends would disappear around the first of the month when the checks went out and I would not see them till around the last week... they would be welcomed back because money would be tight till the first of the next month and then they would be put-out.

As hard as it is to believe... some women would choose to have children because dependant minors in the household is the key to many government benefits... if you want a bigger home... you need to increase your family size... if you want to keep assistance... you need a minor in the home unless you are disabled or elderly...

In 30 years, it was the rare exception of a family totally leaving the security of Section 8 Housing... it did happen, just very rare...

Sometimes the children would do well enough to be on their own... at best it was a 50/50 probability...

Quote:
The last part does have some merit. I don't mind paying taxes as long as it's for the right purpose. The line is crossed when we the middle class have to foot the bill while the rich get all the tax cuts and we're sending our children to war while they try and run the show.
Without the middle class footing the bill the government couldn't survive because there just are not enough rich to sustain it under the present system...

By and large, Americans pay a lot of taxes... at least we do here in Oakland California... it isn't just income tax... it is all the other taxes that cover just about everything except food and medicine...

At the turn of the century the income tax started a 1% on incomes or 20k... and $20,000 was enough to buy at least 9 modest new homes in my city at that time...

It would be the equivalent of a 1% income tax on 2 million of income today...

I had very high hopes that President Obama would be able to use his power to resolve the conflict in the middle east and bring our troops home...

I have to believe that it has been an education for him now that he is Commander in Chief...

Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
People say they want our schools to improve everywhere I go and look. They petition for better health care and better roads. Many desire universal medicare because we've seen the faults in the regular system. Teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers, military personnel, and government workers all demand higher salaries. Countless Americans crave these amenities, yet nobody wants to pay the tax dollars to support them. Isn't that ironic how so many want these services without their taxes raised?

How else do you think they'll come about? Do you honestly think Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Donald Trump, or Rupert Murdoch will spend their earnings to support these programs? Isn't it ironic how few and far between Americans are willing to pitch in? Further, I hear them harp about taxes in Europe and Canada being sky high. Newsflash, everybody! Those nations have superior medicare and education compared to ours. It's amazing how they've managed to prolong and improve their compatibility after their economies were destroyed during World War II. Has anyone else taken note of how many Americans want a deal for nothing?
Ermm....Bill Gates?

Dude.

If you're gonna vent, vent with the right info, 'cuz if you vent and the person you're venting at isn't what you say they are, you look ridiculous and are unbelievable and your argument just flies out the window.

Billionaire Bill Gates Calls For Increasing Taxes On The Rich: 'That's Just Justice' | ThinkProgress

Bill Gates - 2006 Global Humanitarian - Softpedia

] As of 2007, Bill and Melinda Gates were the second-most generous philanthropists in America, having given over $28 billion to charity.[75] They plan to eventually give 95% of their wealth to charity.[76]

Bill Gates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To lump Bill Gates and Donald Trump together, man, that made my gorge rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies